PDA

View Full Version : pastel on velour board

EFT Studios
02-06-2005, 12:45 AM
Hello, I normally hang out in the figure forum...but wondered if anyone has experience with this surface? This is a white pastel on velour board. I have a friend who is a framer and he gives me scraps.

I was wondering if anyone has worked on this and if they have trouble with the chalk "falling" off the surface.
Is spray-fixing okay? or does it ruin the integrity of the pastel?
Thank you, Tracey

khourianya
02-06-2005, 12:59 AM
I have worked with a "velour" paper before and it seemed to hold a ton of pastel and just not let go.

I know that Kate Green works on velour board so hopefully she will pop in and let you know her thoughts.

This is a great piece, btw.

Dark_Shades
02-06-2005, 09:41 AM
Ive worked on Velour Board ... and find you get a certain amount of excess pastel dust dropping from any support - was more concerned with Velour Card.... too pliable .. as for spraying fixatives, that can always dull the work, especially as the velour has more a pile to it.... I dont think you will find any more will drop unless handled roughly and knocked... get it matted and behind glass........
I really like the effect you got

Paula Ford
02-06-2005, 10:26 AM
Your painting is very dramatic and lovely!!

I have used velour and it's almost like it sucks up the pastels...can't even get it to fall of if I tried :D

Paula

K Taylor-Green
02-06-2005, 11:00 AM
I use velour paper and sueded mat board. There is always excess dust, when it falls away it doesn't hurt the painting. I thump it on the back to get rid of more excess, anyway!! I never spray, it dulls the colors, gives the work a granular appearance.
BTY, this is a gorgeous piece!! I'd love to see more of your pastel on suede.

EFT Studios
02-07-2005, 11:29 AM
Thanks, Kate. Now, I see...that makes more sense. Suede-board. That's what that is.
The excess chalk (when it gets thumped or bumped) slides into the background and muddies it. So, I understand it is the nature of the surface...but its aggravating. I have to spray the darn things as they are getting shipped before they get framed. Even if I cover them with glassine (which I do)...they smear and the chalk flies off onto the glassine.
As for more pieces...I've only done a few others. It depends on the scraps my friend gives me. Some are tiny...4" x 5".. so they are all experiments. This is the biggest piece and I've been saving it til this pose. Tried to add some compositional elements and the conte that I used stays on so much better than the sennelier pastel thats like butter anyway...should stick with conte but the white sennelier is so rich...
Here's a little 4"x 8" one.

Leenashorses
02-07-2005, 01:15 PM
Hi :)

These days I only use suede matboard for my horse / animal pastel works. I have not experienced any problems with this surface but rather like it. It takes in many layers of pastel which is nice.

Leena :)

TFB
02-08-2005, 10:49 PM
Hi,
I have recently tried using a card that is sold as pastel felt sheet in Australia, it sounds similar to the velour. I am impressed with it, but find the result very soft which suits some of my work. There did seem to be quite a bit of loose pastel and I tried using workable fixative in the lower layers. The white pastel seemed to be the most noticeable for coming off. I am attaching my first pastel on grey felt paper, I am doing pastel on black at the moment...it is a very rich black and lovely to work on. I use Rembrandt pastels in the lower layers and Shminke towards the end. The Schminke come off more than the harder Rembrandt.
Loved your painting.
TFB

EFT Studios
02-08-2005, 11:38 PM
Gorgeous horses!!! :cool:

Thank you for that breakdown. I noticed the black and brown conte stayed marvelously...maintaining their richness...but the white is the villain trying to escape. I'm also using schminke and sennelier whites..why not just try to paint with cream???
Thank you for your valuable input. Tracey