PDA

View Full Version : Passing A Drink

woodguy
02-05-2005, 02:38 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/02-05-2005/5058_passingadrink.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Passing A Drink
Year Created: 2005
Medium: Oil
Surface: Wood
Dimension: 16 x 20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
More cows, but painted looser.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Pic taken late at night, so color is off a bit. Does loose work? And how about comp? ?

capricorne
02-05-2005, 04:33 AM
Great composition. The allover impression is a bit to hazy for me, I should prefer a more balanced sharp/soft edgecontrol.
Jan

artinoils
02-05-2005, 05:27 AM
Agree with Jan. I'd have to crisp up the foregound cow's face at least. The color is lovely with that play of cool water. Love this series of yours.

Fagan
02-05-2005, 07:42 AM
I agree....the front cow could use some sharpening up. Also...his face is a little too large/square at the tip. That might be an optical illusion because of the coloring on his face.
I LOVE the direction you are going with this "cow" series!! Beautiful work.

purplepansey
02-05-2005, 09:49 AM
Your painting titles are as clever as your subject. Really great work.

Esmeralinda
02-05-2005, 10:20 AM
Hi,

Question of personal taste, I think.

Lovely composition and shadows. Your cows are absolutely gorgeous.

Linda :wave:

roberj
02-05-2005, 10:35 AM
I really like the loose handling, the color and composition are wonderful. My only nit is that the second to last cow looks like it has tusks...warthog? Also agree about the leading cow, it's just a question of where to stop, I wouldn't get carried away with tweaking to the point where the spontaneity was lost. Great job.

Bob

jerryW
02-05-2005, 02:28 PM
the method is great
I like it when at least one cow gives up and lies down
these are all still resisting

Gilberte
02-05-2005, 02:43 PM
You have the perfect feeling for tonal values.
Those shadows add a lot to the this work.

giniaad
02-05-2005, 02:46 PM
I rather like the overall hazy look
like I'm not wearing glasses... :) ...not quite, but you get the point.
it holds together well...as this haze is hazier all in step...
consistant with the "rules" and breaking them too

love this series
another winner!!

artbabe21
02-05-2005, 07:39 PM
Jim, had I NOT seen your other cows...I'd think these were the best. As they stand I agree with Gin...I think our eye tends to want a little more clarity (especially since that is how we end up seeing into in our late 40's...blurrier)
but these guys are just fine looser.

Remember 'there is an a** for every seat.'
(That was my dad's fave statement about why he had cars in so many different colors at his dealership.)

Tamana
02-05-2005, 09:01 PM
as this haze is hazier all in step...
consistant with the "rules" and breaking them too

Amen!! :clap: I'm with Jerry also regarding the method; it IS great!! :cool:

Jim, no matter what you do, eg - subject matter; PLEASE include landscaped in it!!!! I love your landscapes!!! :D

pampe
02-05-2005, 10:03 PM
aw, Jim

There is a "chunkiness" to this looseness that is very appealing!!!

The haziness is great as Gini says

Fabulous shadows

The whole thing is excellent!

Dhuot
02-05-2005, 10:09 PM
Jim Jim Jim

Big Jim !!! :D ( I was kid before ...he he )

SO good. very very nice horizon line...

Passing a drink ??? HA HA HA :D

Like some have said, the first cow`s " museau " could need a bit more line/contrast...

Pretty nice

Daniel

tbezesky
02-06-2005, 12:53 AM
Beautiful feeling of light. I have been ejoying your cow paintings, they have lots of character.

woodguy
02-06-2005, 02:17 AM
I was not able to revisit this until just a short time ago. The two things that I felt needed to be changed, based on your comments, was the first and next to last cow. I did some quick manipulations of pigment and I think that I am at a stopping point.

Thank you, Jan! The changes I made are minor, so I probably haven't changed the overall distintness of this. I decided that I was happy with the hazy feel...except in the lead cow.

Thank you, Susan! I agree that the first cow needed some attention. I tried to "crisp" the image up a bit without destroying the unity of the whole. Any more sharpness would require the whole "tableau" of cows to be reworked.

Thank you, Beverly! In crisping up that front cow I played with his head a bit. Does it read any better now?

Thank you, Purplepansy! Wait until you see "T-Bone and Petite Filet" :evil:

Thank you, Linda! I appreciate your kind comments.

Thank you, Bob! I tweaked "just a bit" knowing that too much would be detrimental to the overall feel of this painting.

Thank you, Jerry! Maybe I have a "Ground Beef" coming up?

Thank you, Gilberte :)

Thank you, Gini! The hazy look is growing on me :wave:

Thank you, Cathleen!! You made me laugh :) If I could only see as well as I did in my late 40's :cat: Your Dad's comment was right on :clap:

Thank you, Tam! From here out I will landscape everything :clap:

Thank you, Pam! You of all people have got to know cows. (How many cows in Montana vs people?) So thank you again :)

Thank you, Daniel! As always I appreciate your comments :wave:

Thank you, Tracy! I appreciate you looking and your kind comment!

Thanks again all, here is the final with some minor changes. Late at night so the color may not be very good. Jim

woodguy
02-06-2005, 02:22 AM
Also, Bob, I wanted to say that you were right on about the "warthog" I tried to fix him/her so I hope that I succeeded :) Jim

Tamana
02-06-2005, 10:42 AM
Wonderful revisions, Jim. Keep mooooooving onto the next. :p