PDA

View Full Version : Impulsive landscape

Gilberte
02-04-2005, 02:15 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/02-04-2005/9813_knife_landsc.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Impulsive landscape
Year Created: 2005
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 40 x 30 cms
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
A quickie with knife (for 95 percent)

I realise the horizon is almost right in the middle ...

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Please comment and critique away ...
Thank you in advance.

YLCIA
02-04-2005, 02:19 PM
Beautiful work, Gilberte:) The horizon line does not bother me.

Julia

SMViolano
02-04-2005, 03:53 PM
Nor does the horizon line bother me either- I might soften the trees in the center as they seem to keep the eye from wandering the painting.

Your colors are so wonderfully warm.
Which Yellows did you use?

LisaArt
02-04-2005, 04:42 PM
Hi Gilberte, Glad I popped in quick tonight...Love these terracotta colours.
The horizon line doesnt bother me at all.
I really love that right corner and foreground, the yellow gold sand is very echanting. Those knife lines depicting the trees are super..just the right amount. Great day you had..Sometimes quickies are just the best... ;)

Spyderbabe
02-04-2005, 05:07 PM
In my world that horizon line has hovered in the middle more than once. You could add more distant mountains to change that.
I think I'de like more contrasts - maybe lights on the middle ground trees to create more of a focal point.

artbabe21
02-04-2005, 05:16 PM
Gilberte....what a nice quickie! You do well with a knife! If you wanted to do more Kathleen's suggestion would be helpful on more distant mountains.

Tamana
02-04-2005, 09:46 PM
As beautiful as the aftermath of an impulsive sand-storm (of brush). Um. That yellow/gold is a bed of warm pleasure, Madame. Sheerly. :)

katelynalain
02-04-2005, 09:53 PM
impulsive works for you. :) love the abstract quality of the trees in the landscape. very nice.

laketrees
02-05-2005, 04:13 AM
Hi Gilberte
The horizon looks fine to me and I love the colour and fine details in the foreground! :clap:
Cheers Kim

capricorne
02-05-2005, 04:30 AM
What I like in this painting is your brushandling Gilberte, the nice textures in the forground, your colorpalet en the redering of the sky ( it's obviously not a symbolic sky, but a real sky!). This said, the painting is not really coming out for me, I think its because of the composition. Got an empty feeling when looking at it, visualy spoken. Do you know the so named magic triangel?
Maybe that could be an improvement. Here are two definitions:
"Three dominant colors, or local-value shapes forms a triangel within the picture. Two of the shapes near two of the picture boundaries and the third shape near a third boundarie or closer in from the picture edge."
"Find two or three elements that you really want to paint. Draw and paint these elements as carefully and as well as possible, then omit or simplify the other bothersome stuf. This grouping creates interest and tension on the picture plaine. If you don't have three objects you want to focus on, a dark tonal value or intense color can be used in place of a person or an object"

I don't have to tel you from who this assignment is I think :D
Jan

roberj
02-05-2005, 11:13 AM
If you are into cropping, I would suggest losing the bottom 1/4, the sky is what makes the painting for me. The sky is beatuiful. I like the distant forms, but find the near foreground a little too angular and the lines blocking the lower corners detract.

Bob

bbbilly1326
02-05-2005, 11:50 AM
some sky blue in the terracotta would really make it hang together better.

NHyde
02-05-2005, 12:27 PM
The horizon line in this instance doesn't particularly bother me. If those trees in the middle were toned down, I think it would allow the eye to travel about the piece easier (I got kind of fixated at that spot). The warmth in this painting is very attractive!

Cheers,
Nicole

haaf
02-05-2005, 02:00 PM
nice one Gilberte

warm and a bit sleepy
very comfortable

knife on baby.......
Caroline ;)

BTW thanks for yr new avatar , I can smile back now.........

Esmeralinda
02-05-2005, 04:43 PM
Salut GG,

LOVE those yellows and terracottas; so so warm and inviting. Beautiful spontanéité. Keep up the great work. Nice to see your work.

Linda :wave:

Rieko
02-05-2005, 04:51 PM
The horizon line in this instance doesn't particularly bother me. If those trees in the middle were toned down, I think it would allow the eye to travel about the piece easier (I got kind of fixated at that spot). The warmth in this painting is very attractive!

Cheers,
Nicole

I agree with Nicole about the middle trees. Otherwise, it's lovely to see the soft sky and the warm and rich teracotta hills. Surely, I don't see those here... I miss them so much. :)

jerryW
02-05-2005, 04:57 PM
a rich brulee

vhere
02-06-2005, 08:11 AM
some clouds with paler versions of the colours of the land in would help unite the sky and at the same time deal with that centred horizon.

lovely loose expressive painting