PDA

View Full Version : Remembering Basel

LisaArt
02-04-2005, 06:27 AM
Hi Everyone, :wave:
I have started working on a new WIP today. It will be done in acrylic on canvas and measure 30 x 40 cm. The painting is my expressionist vision of Basel (a view from the beautiful Mittlere brucke (middle bridge) over looking the Rhine and the infamous Basler Munster, with my cats of course :cat: )
I lived in Basel for over 6.5 years and it is like a second home for me. I met many good friends in Basel and still have contact with them today. I have some very fond memories of this city. Can you believe that I lived in this city for so long and basically have no photographs). :confused:

Did the the Rough Sketch yesterday and completed my drawing on the canvas this morning. I have now started blocking in some colour.
Appreciate any comments you may have. Thanks :) :wave:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Feb-2005/40382-Step1Basel.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Feb-2005/40382-basel2.jpg

laketrees
02-04-2005, 08:01 AM
Hi Lisa ....You have been busy........ This looks great. I like the placement of the spires and steeples - they are all so well balanced. The composition is terrific with the eye leading across the bridge past your cute cats, :cat: :cat: then along the canal and trees to the buildings and church in the background.
It's certainly got a lotta depth = very interesting composition. You're so lucky to have so many interesting buildings over there. Looking forward to seeing the next stage :clap:
Cheers Kim

LisaArt
02-04-2005, 11:41 AM
Hey Kim, Thanks. ;) I have been busy...LOL Keeping out of trouble...
I am happy the way it is progressing..Did more work again late this afternoon. But now I am having my happy hour...LOL
Catch you later.... :wave:

Gilberte
02-05-2005, 01:59 PM
Es gab mal zwei Katze .............
they travelled from Brugge to Basel and then escaped to Denmark to inspire Frau Leeza ........

As always so sweet ...

LisaArt
02-06-2005, 02:32 AM
Yep, zwei mal katzen....LOL
I am smiling so much at your little post Gilberte, It is so cute. ;)
I am going to be doing (I think), a whole little series of these two little guys travelling all over the cities I visited and love.
Thanks for looking and kind words. Lots to do today. I think I will do some painting today. Early morning, and I Andreas is sleeping, so I think I will squeeze in so more painting time.
BTW...I love that new avatar...

LisaArt
02-07-2005, 12:16 PM
Hi WIP browsers, :wave: Had a chance to do some more work today, not as much as I wanted, but hey, there is always tomorrow, and the next..LOL
More just blocking in colour.
The Bridge is basically complete, expept for the little tower, Need to work on water a little too dark.. need some nice highlights, and much work to do on the Cathedral, buildings and green foliage. I am thinking of reworking the sky too...bye for now.. :wave:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Feb-2005/40382-basel3.jpg

Gilberte
02-07-2005, 12:55 PM
Looking good Lisa ! keep going ........

laketrees
02-07-2005, 03:48 PM
Hi Lisa this is so looking good..... :clap: :clap: the green in your trees is really rich and works so well against the colour in the bulldings.......looking forward to your next stage!!!
Cheers Kim

LisaArt
02-08-2005, 03:42 AM
Hi Gilberte and Kim, Thanks for looking..appreciate you sexy gals stopping by. Will try to do lots more work today. :wave:

LisaArt
02-08-2005, 10:24 AM
Hi Everyone,
Lots More work today..Seeing the light a bit :) This is now my favourite part of painting..Doing the finishing bits and touches.
I did lots of work on the Cathedral, Need to do more accents on the roof top, another little coat of green and yellow, red white..
Lower buildings pretty much done.
Foliage done..Not going for realism
I repainted the water more a pathlogreen/blue. :eek: Need to do some highlights in there. I like this colour a little better not as green.
Hopefully I can finish tomorrow..That would be great... :)
Appreciate greatly any comments you might have at this point.. :wave:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Feb-2005/40382-Basel4.jpg

Gilberte
02-08-2005, 12:01 PM
Utterly charming ... a feel good painting !
Yes, do break up the water a wee bit (especially next to the black cat :wink2: )

Spyderbabe
02-08-2005, 12:06 PM
Looking good Lisa... could we have another flag or two on the far shore?

LisaArt
02-08-2005, 01:08 PM
Hi Gilberte and Kathleen,
Thanks for the tips..I will add more highlights to the water near the black kitty, where the light is more pominent. Great idea, Kathleen, I will add two on the other end.. :wave: Had some in my original sketch..I forgot about them....LOL

laketrees
02-08-2005, 07:20 PM
Hi Lisa....the detail on that roof is AMAZING!!!!! :clap: what sort of gold did you use....it looks like gold leaf? ....the colours on all the buildings work so well together :clap: ......WOW you've been busy :cat:
Cheers Kim

LisaArt
02-09-2005, 02:17 AM
Hi Kim, :wave: Thanks so much. :angel:
I used yellow ochre and white for the outline, cad, red inside, green and some yellow and for the gold bits, I used a bit of cad yellow, cad light red, some yellow orche and...thus my gold effect. I am happy that it turned out that way..
Hoping to finish today...
:cat:

laketrees
02-09-2005, 03:26 AM
Hi Lisa :wave:
Thanks for that ....I would never have guessed that combination!
Really looking forward to seeing the finished work :clap:
Cheers Kim

LisaArt
02-09-2005, 07:38 AM
Hi Everyone, Well I am just about finished...Just need to do that water, adding some lights and darks..kept the worse for last.. :evil: Oh I am dreading this part. :crying: .Will try to post the final tonight here and in the OC.
Here is what I am up to so far today.
Bye for now, and have a great day.
Its so sunny and beautiful here today, I should be out... but I have painting fever today :D
Attaching also some closeups.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Feb-2005/40382-basel5.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Feb-2005/40382-closeupbasel.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Feb-2005/40382-closeupbasel2.jpg

LisaArt
02-09-2005, 09:50 AM
Its Done! Hurray. :)
The picture is the best I could get right now. The water highlights (a little green/yellow/blue/tad of white ) are more visible in real life.
thanks for all your support and feedback through my wip.
:wave:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Feb-2005/40382-FinalBasel.jpg

laketrees
02-09-2005, 05:14 PM
Hi Lisa... :clap: :clap: ....you've finished and it looks.....fantastic....... :cat: :cat: will you be framing this series....you could nearly do a mini series of crops of this one ...eh? :D :D
Cheers Kim

LisaArt
02-10-2005, 02:15 AM
Hi Kim, Thanks for always popping in and checking out my progress I really appreciate that. :angel: :)
I wanted to ask you something about the paininting, well the cats. I was looking at the painting last night, and thought it would also be very nice without the cats. Lots of men like my paintings but many of them say the cats gotta go...LOL..oh no. :eek: Many of my ex-pat male pals in Basel said they would buy the painting as a rememberance of Basel but cats took away from it in their mind. I like to add my little cats, they are in most of my paintings, sometimes very small and hidden..like a little trademark of mine. My painting Teacher always said she liked that. A
ctually this piece was to be way more whimiscal and exaggerated like my Brugge painting. I wanted to do a series like that, so thus the cats fit very well. My husband said I should keep my cats and work on my "lisa style" as he calls it...He wants me to have another exhibition with those paintings and print up cards and stuff like that. He is really excited and said those paintings of yours would be popular..I think he wants me to make money...so he can stay home..LOLOL..fat chance..
Just a thought..what do you think about that? :confused: :wave:

laketrees
02-10-2005, 02:58 AM
Hi Lisa..... I think you go for it.....I think your townscapes are wonderful with and without your cats....why can't you have both in your exhibition....the men might not like the kitties but it's usually the wives and girlfriends who make the decision....I think your husbands right and I would definitely market your cats as cards ,calendars etc...I think they would be very popular...oh and for those paintings without cats ...can't you incorporate a cat as part of your signature???? this all sounds reaaaaaalllllly exciting ...Lisa
Cheers Kim

LisaArt
02-10-2005, 03:07 AM
Hi Kim, Thanks so much for your speedy, reply. I am feeling very good now. I appreciate that. You are so nice... :angel:
You are right about women and girlfriends usually deciding..I have chosen all the art in our home...LOL...and my mom usually chooses the stuff at her place..My dad..does like the cats, though. I am my fathers daughter and we are so much the same.. :)

I have always singed my paintings Lisa sometimes with a little cat by my name..And a few months ago, I have started now singing my paintings Lisa with the "a" as the cats body making the tail on the a look like a cats tail, and I add the little cat head on top of the a with some whiskers....It is very funny, but kind of cool..well I think...so does my husband..so thats not too bad..He is really picky..LOL...
Hey funny we thought the same..Great minds do think a like. :D
Can you see this...Sorry bad pic...LOL
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Feb-2005/40382-signature.jpg

laketrees
02-10-2005, 09:29 PM
Hi Lisa.....lol.....I was reading your mind....I love the signature.....it's you all over :clap: :cat: :clap:
Cheers Kim