PDA

View Full Version : trapped in an aluminum chrysalis

asylum_on_yon
12-02-2001, 12:27 AM
Please forgive me for posting this in Sculpture, Alternative Materials, *and* the Cafe where everybody drinks absinthe, but I'm desperate!

Does anybody know where I can get my hands on carbon-fiber tubes with 1/4 inch outer diameters? (.25" OD) I have looked on the internet and had no luck anywhere.

Does anybody work with Titanium? I've heard that the dust when sawing is toxic to breathe in. It's also ridiculously expensive, but I'm almost to the point of buying the stuff. Any advice on Ti would be sincerely appreciated.

I'm needing much lighter material, but just as strong or stronger, than the .25" Aluminum rods I've been using. The weight factor is stifling the growth of my art! I feel like I'm in a chrysalis and I just... can't... bust... out!

sassybird
12-02-2001, 06:14 AM
There was a guy in one of the sculpture classes at school that used to work with fiberglass tubing. I don't know the sizes he used, but some were very small. Have you checked that out for weight? I know it is fairly light, and you might be able to get a referral from a auto body shop or some other such business that uses fiberglass.

asylum_on_yon
12-02-2001, 10:43 AM
that's a good idea!

I'll check into it...

Leaflin
12-03-2001, 04:58 PM
Hi
I don't know if any of theses sites are of use to you (you have most likely seen them all)
But here is what I found :)
Interesting stuff :D

http://www.harmony-central.com/Newp/2001/Carbon-Fiber-Replacements.html

http://www.advancedcomposites.com/custom.htm

http://www.aviasport.net/

asylum_on_yon
12-07-2001, 02:01 AM
leaflin-- it looks like aviasport might have tubes in the sizes I need. I don't know why I haven't seen them before?! thank you so much for looking and finding them-- I just sent them an e-mail to see if perhaps they have carbon fiber and fiberglass tubes in lengths greater than 48 inches-- I wanna make a *giant* mobile!

anyway, I'll probably also call them tomorrow and I'll let ya'll know how it turns out.

p.s.-- sorry it took me so long to reply-- I haven't had a chance to spend as much time to fully check out those links you gave me, but aviasport tubes looks like a real find! thanks again!!

sassybird
12-07-2001, 02:29 AM
My husband said to forget about fiberglass for what you want to do. He said in order to heat it up enough to bend the glass it will destroy the rosen used as a binding agent. I don't think you want that to happen. He did say that you might check out the metal they use for some of the high speed bicycles though. The metal is very light and easily manipulated. Leaflin gave you some places to check, so let us know what you find. You might check with a bicycle shop that specializes in making custom bicycles for their suppliers too. I'm looking forward to seeing this giant mobile :D

Leaflin
12-07-2001, 08:02 AM
Glad to be of help :)

As you can see we are excited to see the outcome of your efforts.

May Alexander Calder smile upon you :D

Good luck!

asylum_on_yon
12-07-2001, 04:39 PM
The carbon fiber tubes are on their way!!! AND they are very very reasonably priced!!!!

I'm getting 7-footers to start with, but Kurt (the very kind and understanding gentleman at aviasport) says he can have them cut to any ol length this artist needs. For technical reasons, they're .254" OD, but I should be able to bore out my brackets to accomodate this without any problems.

A THOUSAND THANK-YOUs TO LEAFLIN FOR FINDING THIS GEM OF A COMPANY!!!

AND MANY THANKS TO ALL WHO TOOK THE TIME TO HELP ME SCOUR THE WEB!!

Ooooooohhh, I'm sensing GIANT mobiles on the way...

Now: where to hang these monsters, once they're built?! in fact, where am I gonna hang 'em *while* I'm building?! <-- this isn't me worrying. oh no no no, this is me delirious with joy-- overcoming new challenges and pushing the limits in creating mobiles is the fun part!!

thrilled to the point of ridiculous,

sassybird
12-07-2001, 07:35 PM
Alright,!! Congratulations on finding what you need. I'm looking forward to seeing what you create :)