GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Cabin
Year Created: 2005
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 18 x 24
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
My camara is not particularly good so the image is a bit fuzzy and the colors are not exact. I am a rank amateur/beginner. This is the fourth or fifth painting that I have done...so speak slowly and use small words. :)

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I need help with the cabin roof. It is too white and needs some shadows. I have tried using various shades of blue but it's not working.

Moosehead
02-03-2005, 11:57 PM
Kurt, if this is only your 4th or 5th painting, all I can say is WOW!

You've done a fantastic job here! Your sky, in particular is well done. Funny, you have some brighter colours in the background, and some more neutral colours in the foreground-often the opposite is done to achieve depth, but for me it works well. Appropriate for the time of day.

As for the roof, perhaps slightly darker on the left edge and lower roof. You can darken the white by adding a touch of ult blue and burnt umber to white.

Anyway-you should definitely keep painting-great job!

bbbilly1326
02-04-2005, 01:08 AM
Shadows are better when they're done with "warm" colors like brown, red, etc rather than cool colors like blue (this is a generalization and might not be applicable always. Use only the dosage recommended by your doctor....oops, wrong site).:D
if you mix your orange and blue together, you'll get a gray that might work.

LisaArt
02-04-2005, 02:06 AM
Hi Kurt, :wave: Beautiful work, has a a nice northern lights feel to it. Your sky is beauitful. The little cabin looks so cozy inside.
The cabin is very good, Actually, I think it is great as is. But it you want to add shadows, you know best as you can see the painting irl...
I agree with moosehead, about where to add the shadows and that colour mising is good to...
Anxious to see more of your work..

dcorc
02-04-2005, 06:37 AM
Doesn't look like the work of a "rank amateur" to me! :)

I think if you bring down the brightness value of the roof a bit, to match the snow on the ground nearby - and perhaps push the brightest areas of the clouds a little brighter?

And please cross-post this on the Oils forum!

Dave

pampe
02-04-2005, 02:30 PM
well, I think the roof is fine in value....but would refdlect some of those awesome sunset colors

really well done

I am wondering if the distance might be better shown if the far mounds were a TAD lighter then the forground ones?? Just IMHO

Pam

Spyderbabe
02-04-2005, 02:41 PM
Really nice!
I do like the birch trees - what would you think of extending the shorter one up almost as high as the white cloud?
Be sure to put the shadows on the roof of the little shed darker than those on the taller barn since that is in its shadow.

Gilberte
02-04-2005, 03:07 PM
The snow, the sky behind the cabin, the cabin itself, the front tree ........ perfect ! My very personal feeling is that the clouds look a bit like smoke, or the smoke like a cloud :D
You're way too good to call yourself an amateur !

Kurt Grosshans
02-04-2005, 04:29 PM
Thanks very, very much to all who commented. I will take all of the sugestions and work with them this weekend. And if ok, I would like to re-post with the changes and see if I can get further help!

Thanks a lot - Kurt

Tamana
02-04-2005, 10:11 PM
The ascension is magnificent. The tilt of the lower roof disturbs me somewhat, but that's an easy fix. Well done!! It's going to be interesting to see you hit the ranks of novice and so forth. :)