PDA

View Full Version : My Next Self-Portrait

Sax87Tenor
02-03-2005, 06:01 PM
Hey, I've been doing a lot of self-portraits for the past month or two, so I'm doing my next one in acrylic. I'm just posting my progress on it, so far this is just my preliminary sketch, I just wanted to figure out my values and the comp. The sketch is with a bucnh of different things, some contes, a layout pencil, a graphite stick, a few colored 'leads', and a white pastel to lighten some areas. Anywho, comments, crits, everything is welcome :D

laketrees
02-03-2005, 08:50 PM
Ryan .........G'day mate!!!! :wave: ....... Welcome to WIP 's............
This sketch has really developed well.....really wild expression and the eyes....positively :evil: ...... like the loose application and the pose...interested to see where you go next??????
Cheers Kim
ps .....how's ur step mom??????? :D :D :D

Sax87Tenor
02-03-2005, 10:07 PM
Hey :wave:

Thanks for the comments :) Next step is gonna be transferring it to canvas and start painting it (acrylics).
I already put in a background on the canvas, well not really a background, just some color so I'm not painting on white. The pic I have has a few people in it, so I'm gonna blur them out so there simplified, that way the foreground (me) remains the focus.
I have that grey cause it's really neutral, and I shouldn't have a problem painting over it with what I want to put there, and then the orange red-ish area will be where I paint the actual portrait.
And thanks for asking about my step-mom shes doing fine, everyone's bad mood is over, so I'm happy :D

laketrees
02-03-2005, 10:35 PM
Hey Ryan ....is that orange area the face???? Will the neck be the same colour???? what size is your canvas??
Cheers Kim :D

Sax87Tenor
02-03-2005, 10:42 PM
Hey Kim,

Just to let you know, I'm not OCD, I just get an e-mail when people respond to the thread :)

Yup, the orage area will be where I put the face, I wanted to try something new, usually I just start with a white canvas :rolleyes:
I'm gonna be painting over the orange area with a skin tone, I'm not gonna make the face orange, it might show through in a few places, but not many, and yes, the neck will be the same colour as my face, I just wanted to see if the orange under the face will make the face pop off the canvas more.

Oh, and the canvas is 18 by 18, I like squares :cool:

laketrees
02-04-2005, 12:00 AM
Hey Ryan..... thats ok .....I'm sure I HAVE OCD ..........most of the time - sorta procrastinating here cause sometimes when I'm painting too much I tend to act like a dog chasing its tail.... on a roller coaster .....round and round up and down :confused:
Anyway you've cleared up a few questions for me - I like the square format and I think the orange undertones coming through will look great....dramatic...like your drawing.
Cheers Kim

dcorc
02-04-2005, 12:45 AM
The sketch looks good - confidently drawn - just keep going, looking forward to seeing you carry this through into paint.

Dave

LisaArt
02-04-2005, 12:55 AM
Hi Ryan, Sketch looks good, I think you are really going to have an interesting self p. I like the pose and the eyes look so... :evil: as Kim said.
Anxious to see this develop.

Sax87Tenor
02-04-2005, 11:09 PM
Okay, this is just my first coat of color, and my painted sketch. Essentially what I did, for those interested, was cover the back of my drawing with a stick of charcoal, them I taped it to my canvas and traced the edges with the back of a pencil, so I had my drawing on my canvas. Them I painted the lines over with some thinned down flesh tone mix, then I just sketched in some vague details.
I work somehwat differently from other who go from light to dark with glazes. I put down a base coat, and then add highlights and shadows over it.
I also did something by accident that I really like, I noticed that I added more detail (not much anyway, but a little bit more detail) around the portrait's left eye, it almost faded out as your eye moves back. I think it keeps you focused around the eye, where I wanted it to be. So I'm gonna continue with that effect :D

This portrait is something new for me, I usually paint right onto white, I must say though, I like painting onto the orange :)

PS: I posted this exact same thing in the acrylic forum, I never really understood why people say they did something like this, but I figured I'd join in on the fun.

laketrees
02-05-2005, 01:50 AM
Hi Ryan
This is conveying a strong sense of movement at this stage - as if the figure is almost overwhelmed by the surrounding areas - do you intend to keep that area of orange behind the face?
Cheers Kim

Sax87Tenor
02-05-2005, 09:51 PM
Yep, I think I'm going to keep that block of orange. Like you said, I feel like it adds a sense of movement. My next stage is gonna just start working in details, and fixing the face :)

laketrees
02-06-2005, 01:39 AM
YEAH.... Ryan.... I'm glad you're keeping the orange - I get the distinct feeling thet you don't want to be swallowed up by the masses!!! - almost like a chequer board of life .....he he :D :D :D..Somehow I could see this working as a diptych - the small you and then... the bigger than life you ...like your whole self swallowing up the canvas.... anyway ...looking forward to ya next post!!!
Cheers Kim

Sax87Tenor
02-08-2005, 06:25 PM
Okay, I had to squeeze some painting time in because school and competitions for acting and band practices got WAY too hectic. But in between here and before I basically painted orange right over the left side of the face (viewers left) and restarted it because I hated the nose after staring at it (I leave thingsd out on my easel to hope mistakes punch me in the face). So, this is where it's at right now. I'll be adding some bg people that'll be extremely blurred; just for more movement and interest. This was (and still is) a pretty fun painting, frustrating, but fun.

laketrees
02-08-2005, 06:46 PM
Hi Ryan....Ha ha ...you've got one mistake punching you in the face....I feel like I'm halfway through the world heavy weight boxing championship with my series..... :evil: :evil:

I like the way you have the body - shirt and jacket - on an angle......makes for an interesting composition.......where is your light source coming from?
Cheers Kim

Sax87Tenor
02-08-2005, 07:33 PM
Kim, you confused, what mistake do I have punching me in the face, I meant that I let it sit around until I see one, if that's what you meant.

I like the comp too, it actually happened by accident, but I left it because I felt it was a parralel to the orange spot, and it added some movement to the painting.

The light source was weird, which is one of the reasons I found this painting frustrating. My ref was looked like it was directly above and to the left, but where the photo was taken (candid actually by a friend playing with my camera, I take it everywhere), it had a really shiny floor and I got light reflected from it. So, I had two light sources almost, which is why that weird shape (that I actually ended up loving) was cast onto my face.

And as I'm typing this I see about 5 things I want to correct, but I gotta run to a class, ttyl. :wave:

laketrees
02-09-2005, 03:33 AM
I hated the nose after staring at it (I leave thingsd out on my easel to hope mistakes punch me in the face).

Hi Ryan ....that's what I meant :cool:.....yeah having a flash as a light source can mix things up as well.....I know with mine I used a flash and I had to keep trying to remember where the actual light was coming from :confused: :confused:
Cheers Kim

Sax87Tenor
02-10-2005, 07:28 PM
I absolutely hated it the next day. I realized it sucked horribly. I painted over everything, changed the angle on the head. Wiped out the hair with alcohol. So now I have a hairless head with one eye a nose and a mouth right now. I'm redoing the entire face. Just letting everyone know :)

laketrees
02-10-2005, 09:03 PM
:crying: :crying: ...know just how you feel Ryan....I chucked out 4 of mine.....I think painting self portraits is pretty self obsessive ...I mean you end up looking at yourself all day and sometimes I wish they would just speak to me and tell me where I'm going wrong........anyway.....keep me posted on your progress....they're never as bad as you think.......I know.....sometimes you can be your worst critic......ha ha :D :D :D
Cheers Kim

Sax87Tenor
02-11-2005, 11:47 PM
Well, I had rubbed out half of this painting with alcohol, painted over parts of it with orange a bazillion times, and I dont know if I like it or not. But here's the new version of it. :rolleyes:

laketrees
02-12-2005, 01:46 AM
Hey this looks great Ryan..........like the face filling the space .....the colours.....it's like the original sketch.......very strong!!!!! :clap: :clap:
Cheers Kim

Sax87Tenor
02-12-2005, 11:18 AM
thanks Kim :)
That's actually one of the reasons I painted over the last one, it didn't look like the sketch at all.