GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Dolphins
Year Created: 2005
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 22.9cm x 30.5cm
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Choosing a picture from a calendar for inspiration, I made the picture my own. This is my first watercolour since picking my art back up after years and years of not touching it.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I am looking for any and all input on this composition, in particular the use of colours, shadowing, brushwork and the perspective. Is there anything that could have been done different? Does it capture the sense of serenity and playfulness as well as sweetness that I was trying to capture?

LisaArt
02-03-2005, 02:09 PM
Well, I am so glad you decided to paint again. It is so colouful and delightful.
The dolphins are very well done. I can feel the wet on their backs...
It sure does capture the sense of serenity and playfulness and ooooohhh so sweet! ;)

chammi kaiser
02-03-2005, 02:22 PM
:wave: This is lovely. You have captured the playfulness of these special creatures very well. Isn't is a joy to pick up the paint brush once again. I have one small blip and that is that the outlines of the dolphins are a little too defined. Bit like line and wash. Otherwise, I like it. Keep on painting and let's see more. Chammi.

cesurerus
02-03-2005, 09:59 PM
Lisa: Thank you so much for taking the time to give input to my painting. :) I am also glad that I have picked up my paints and brushes again. Very theraputic and fulfilling.

Chammi: Thank you for your comment on the outline of the dolphins. I wondered about it myself but was not quite sure.....something to remember the next time around. :rolleyes: It is so nice to know that both you and Lisa could sense what I wished to capture.

Not bad for a self taught amature, eh?? :D

Christie

nes7827
02-04-2005, 02:33 AM
I love the color and handling of the dolphins. :clap: for me, the water is too much of the same in pattern, color, and value...very easy to fix, if you wanted to

dcorc
02-04-2005, 06:49 AM
Excellent, that you are painting again!

The dolphins are handled very well - as Nicholas said, a bit more variation in background would help - at the moment the sense that the water surface recedes away from us is not as strong as it could be - a suggestion of overall brightness value gradient may help, just a little lighter at the top and darker at the bottom perhaps?

Dave

cesurerus
02-04-2005, 02:56 PM
Nicholas: Thank you for taking the time to give your comments. Your input is very valuable, especially as I have been reading your articles that you have been contributing and I admire your style and talent.

Dave: I want to also thank you for your input. AGain, appreciated and very helpful.

I think I will play with the water at the top and see what I can do. I have taken a 2nd look at the reference photo that I used and now see what both of you gentlemen mean. Again....thanks!

Christie

Tamana
02-04-2005, 10:14 PM
It's always wonderful to see someone pick that brush back up! Not bad for being rusty. :) I agree about the dolphins - they are exptremely well done - you've got a great handling of the medium! The water is the only part that distrubs me somewhat, but as Nicholas said: easy fix!!

Way to get back up and in there. :music:

SMViolano
02-04-2005, 10:17 PM
Dancing Dolphins!

I love the feeling that there are many more dolphins just under the surface.

cesurerus
02-05-2005, 05:30 PM
Tamana: Thank you for your comments. I guess it wasn't too bad an attempt for being so rusty. I am curently playing with the top of the water, behind the dolphins....to see what I can come up with...And yes, it is, as Nicholas and dcorc as well as your self have said....a relatively easy fix!

SMViolano: Yes, it does seems as though there are others just below the surface waiting to joint the dance. That is the playfulness that I was attempting to capture. Thanks for your kind words.

Christie

Grant
02-06-2005, 05:20 AM
Ahhhh :clap: hhh :clap: hh the re-arrival of one of my favourite humans in the World, making a veritable "Splash" with two (and more) of my most adored sea creatures.

I hope this is a "Seawater Colour" painting and not some plain stuff out of your kitchen tap!

Good to see you here at Wet Canvas and to know (as I do) that the artist's hand is clearly becoming less rusty and showing the fluidity of line above the surface. Hey ... yeaaaaaas that love of "line" around objects needs a tweak ... If it was mine I'd be getting out the gouach and one of my lil_thin_fav_brushes and obliterate the top outline totally to blend in with upper surface colour of the Dolphin's back.

Where's your Sun?

Often in such photographs the sheer detail of every splash and the shadow each drop creates can be a nightmare to create. Sometimes it is worth looking at a photograph or at a Scene, live, in front of you, and then painting it my imagining a sun lower on the horizon thus creating longer more evident shadows . You can wait around till closer to sunset or just get to know the way contrast makes things spring into greater life higher.

The trick (or some say "skill") in artistry is to create what you feel on the canvas as opposed to what you "see". This way, your emotions make an imprint on the canvas or watercolour paper (Or brick wall if u are going through your graffitti subway period). The viewer then picks up the feeling you put into your work and makes comments that are equally emotive.

Even a Lowry's simplicity can evoke a feeling -- especially for those like myself that have visited the cityscapes and industrial communities he painted.

Let the spirit guide your hand as it has done in your work " Seattle Breeze" . I know that your hand will follow your spirit and create the most wonderful of paintings which I hope to see here online and in your Home Town when I get my "Private First Day Viewing" invitation (hint hint nudge nudge).

Loads of Waves ~~~~~~~~~~ (with only a Grant leaping out of them today) ~~~~~~ :clap: :clap:

cesurerus
02-06-2005, 10:25 AM
Halloooooooo Grant!! :wave:

Surprise, surprise! And never was I more suprised than to cross paths with you here on WC! :D

I am thrilled that you have stopped in to take a look see at an old friend's rusty art work and give your valued opinion.

As I stated previously I am reworking the top portion....but my reworking is just about done....too much more and I am going to have issues with the paper and too many layers of paint which will take away from the translucent effect and fluidness that I so love about watercolours.

My colours were definitely not those of the picture I used for inspiration and reference. If I had stayed true to that, this would have indeed been a flop....it would have been very repetitive in color nd value....definitely would not be of any intrest.

Sooo..........when I get the last little bit of reworking done, I will repost the pic and hopefully all that have already stopped in and commented will re-evaluate it for me.

Here is to letting the spirit and soul guide my brush strokes and creativity!

Christie