PDA

View Full Version : Bobcat WIP

Piper Ballou
02-02-2005, 11:19 PM
Been working on this bobcat that I got from the reference library, I will have to go back and see who posted it. It is a great picture.
Wallis paper, 9 by 12, only my second attempt on Wallis paper, and starting to really love it. C&C welcomed and lots of suggestions.

In the painting the nose is not that red, holy cow, think the bobcat has a cold or something...the right side of the muzzle needs work...but felt the need to post this
Piper

tURBOCAT
02-02-2005, 11:57 PM
Lookin' Good!! Keep posting your progress - great contrasts!

Johnnie

K Taylor-Green
02-03-2005, 12:06 AM
Lookin' good, Piper! Lookin' real good! Isn't Wallis paper something? I still bounce around between Wallis and velour paper or sueded mat board, but you gotta love the stuff!
Looking forward to the finish on this.

khourianya
02-03-2005, 12:43 AM
This is gorgeous, Piper! I'm really glad you decided to pst the WIP for us to see!

Mikki Petersen
02-03-2005, 12:51 AM
Alright Piper! This is coming along very well. Good value shifts and coloring! As for the nose, first, photos don't always portray color correctly and secondly photos posted to the web can get even more color confused so don't let the photo govern your color choices. Third, if the cat has a red nose, it would not be so vibrant a color but more grayed down and liver colored. Try Deborah's trick of taking a piece of vine charcoal and very lightly feathering it over the nose. that should take it down in temperature without a dramatic change.

Keep going. This is good work!
Mikki

Piper Ballou
02-03-2005, 12:59 AM
Thanks Johnnie, Kate, Cori and Mikki. I am slow worker but I will update soon.

Mikki- I think the red color of the nose was actually my camera...it is not that red at all...and I will use the vine charcoal to tone it down some....I will have my husband take the next picture he is so much better at it then I am.
Piper

SweetBabyJ
02-03-2005, 01:10 AM
A complex face to deal with- you've got a great start. Toning down the nose may help, but watch that you also give it its form- if you look closely at your reference pic, you'll see value changes within each of the reddish shapes. If you match those, it'll look right no matter what colour.

Khadres
02-03-2005, 01:54 AM
Good kitty! :clap: You're mastering the fur business really well. I need to try fur again...it's been almost a year since the great shaggy dog debacle; maybe I could do better this time! :confused:

Piper Ballou
02-06-2005, 01:23 PM
I have decided that a good digtal camera is on the "need" list. Worked some more on the bobcat, I need to tone down some of the fur on the left side of the painting, and fix the right eye, think I must have leaned into it.
Piper

ExpressiveAngie
02-06-2005, 04:52 PM
Wow! that stare is wonderful! This painting is already so fantastic :clap:

Mikki Petersen
02-06-2005, 06:27 PM
Oh my! Piper this is coming along so nicely! That look on his face is so challenging like..."What!!!!!???". Hope you are saving pennies for a frame for this beauty.

Mikki

Dark_Shades
02-06-2005, 07:37 PM
This is coming along brilliantly ......... the fur is awesome :clap:

Piper Ballou
02-08-2005, 12:18 AM
At the school I work at the mascot is a bobcat, so the stare and challenege in the face comes from working with junior high kids. Fits their attitude perfectly.

Mikki- My husband has taken up matting and framing so this will be done quickly. We are having a blast working on the projects together.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I hope to finish it this week and will update the post.
Piper

Khadres
02-08-2005, 01:38 AM
This is coming along VERY nicely! Be sure and show us the finish!

tURBOCAT
02-09-2005, 06:46 PM
Great progress - looks alive,,, as it grows across the page.... more! More!

Johnnie

Piper Ballou
02-22-2005, 11:31 PM
Finished the bobcat, this was so much fun to do.
Piper

antgeek
02-23-2005, 12:14 AM
starjoy, this cat is too cool! the fur is awesome, the people at your school will flip when they see it. thanks for showing your wip.

serra

Khadres
02-23-2005, 01:20 AM
Nice! Good furry...well, fur! :D

Goobiemom
02-24-2005, 04:15 AM
Great kitty! Love that stare. You've done a wonderful job with this. It's amazing that something so soft could tear your arm off! Well, eventually anyway. Your fur looks so convincing and touchable. :clap:

Piper Ballou
02-25-2005, 09:24 PM
Now I have to get my husband busy making a frame.

antgeek- you are right at the school, they want to have it in safe keeping for awhile. I may display it there for a couple of months.

Thanks, Snooz and goobiemom for your comments. I do appricate them very much

Think I now have a rooster with an attitude I am going to paint next.
Piper

artgirl3571
08-08-2006, 12:22 AM
Piper now i dont feel so bad i can see how you have to bulid the pastels up in layers . Cant wait til the lil class thursday. I think the bob cat is looking great . talk soon , terry

NickyW
05-04-2007, 06:04 AM
Great Bobcat Piper, wow, now its my turn to compliment you. I cant say too much in Art Words lol..but its lovely and very life like..looking forward to seeing it progress.

NickyW
05-04-2007, 06:07 AM
wow again, how did i miss the finished project lol..its awesome..you have done a wonderful job in making it come alive...