PDA

View Full Version : CBS adaptation

Melinda Melanson
02-02-2005, 06:52 PM
Ok, I recently bought a press from another beadmaker and needed some way to align the top and bottom. There wasn't enough room to put alignment pins or alignment hinges. I did come up with the following idea. I am not sure how well it will work, as I haven't had time to test it.

I went to the DIY store and bought a piece of aluminum "L" shaped thingy. It cost $5 for a 4' piece. I cut two pieces about 2" long. Ignore my seriously crooked cuts, DH has been too busy to cut nice even ones for me. I then glued these pieces to the outside corners of my press. Be sure NOT to cover up the mandrel grooves. I used 2 part epoxy. I am not sure if the epoxy will hold. If it doesn't I plan to use an automotive J.P. Weld type of epoxy. Be sure not to get glue all over. Clamp the glued pieces onto the bottom of the press. Check for alignment. While the glue is still gooey, make sure the press will fit correctly, and the top will slide up and down easily within the aluminum things. If not move the aluminum things a bit to get a perfect fit. I specifically made the aluminum things long enough so I don't have to remove the top press from the device. My hands are so shaky, I would never get the top back in the aluminum guides with one hand. And as you know, the other hand is usually holding a hot glob of glass.

P.S. If you can't find the aluminum thingy, let me know. I got a few feet of it left. Like 3 1/2 feet. lol

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Feb-2005/10391-1beadpress1.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Feb-2005/10391-1beadpress2.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Feb-2005/10391-1beadpress3.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Feb-2005/10391-1beadpressoverhead.jpg

disclaimer...
This is just an idea, not meant to infringe upon anyones designs. I don't know if this will work with all of the CBS designs. I am not familiar with all the CBS shapes. Use this idea at your own risk. I assume no responsibility. I am not a rocket scientist, just a tinkerer.

No beads were harmed during the photographing. Although the *(&^%$# bead that is seen in the illustrations is hopelessly stuck to the mandrel.

Lenda
02-02-2005, 09:23 PM
Hey Mel. Pretty cool, but a question. Why didn't you put both angles on the back side, that way you don't have to worry about getting the mandrel around and "through" the two pieces and then try to put the top on?

When I loaned out my presses and base, I got another press but had no base. So I just stacked a brick to the edge of my vent wall and the press fit in there great, kept it in place and actually worked well.

Melinda Melanson
02-02-2005, 09:39 PM
I did play around with the idea of placing both aluminum guides on the back side of the press. Guess I should have taken a pic before I glued the guides. I'll try to get a pic of that setup. This setup works better for me since the press top is captured by the guides. My hands are not only shaky but tend to twitch when I don't want them too. You have no idea how much fun I have trying @#$%*&@ stringer.

It takes a bit more of a steady hand with the alignment things on just the back. You do need to get the top between the two guides. With the guides on each corner, the top doesn't have to be removed, making alignment almost foolproof.

It's not perfect, but it does make the press useable for me. I am sure there are other ideas out there. Or you could use a brick. I also played around with a wooden base idea, but I'm afraid of the saw. I owe DH a saw from the fencing job I recently did. Apparently, it is not OK to leave a saw out in pouring rain in a puddle of mud for 3 days. Who'd a thunk it?! lol

JustK
02-03-2005, 10:40 AM
I got a press without the base for Christmas and used it successfully that way for a few weeks...there are vises at the home improvement store that are a lot like the CBS base only bigger. About $17...I would have gotten one if I had the space...but I caved and ordered the 'real' one as well as a teeny lentil press.
Now that I think of it I bet I could have found a small one online at a hobby site or something :rolleyes: oh well.
Sometimes my laziness outweighs my cheapness!
Kim
Cool idea Melinda, wish I'd had it!