GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Cold War
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 20x16 (approx)
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is a painting of an image from the World Championship chess match held in Reykjavik, in 1972, between world champion Boris Spassky and challenger Bobby Fischer. The image shows Fischer on the right, head in hands.

(Fischer eventually won the series)

The image had a fabulous air of desperation/panic that I tried to capture.

The original image was in black and white so I stuck to titanium white and payne's grey.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
This is my first post on Wet Canvas and I'd be grateful if I could get a general view on this piece and some advice on how I could improve for my next such piece.

Tamana
02-02-2005, 09:54 PM
Not really qualified regarding this genre, but I'll tell you what my reaction is,. Oh!!! My father made me start learning chess when I was about 5 and as an avid player (of the past) I can tell you that you've captured the mood that you intended, especially near the final moves; the anticipation of the next move; the trying to hold the breath wondering if the they are anticipating your next move and if you're going to have to restrategize or it you're going to corner them!!! :cool: Boy and is it down to the last moves.....!

In regards to palette; I think your choices are excellent (but I love Payne's grey (great touches on the pieces)). Your lighting source (which is a major factor in b/w compositions) seems right and the folds of the clothing is very well done! The only thing that disturbs me a bit is the foreground of the table? to the viewer's right.

He knew; he was covering his 'poker' face. :cool:

Dana Design
02-02-2005, 09:56 PM
This is excellent! You've truly captured the desperation and the panic on Fischer's face. I remember that match and it was headline news for days. So little can be seen of his eyes but they say everything, that one nervous, frightened eye peering through his fingers. Chilling.

With so few shades of black and grays, you've made a marvelous work. The only nit I see is Fischer's left jacket shoulder. It looks somehow odd as if it's a separate piece of cloth.

dcorc
02-02-2005, 10:45 PM
A very warm welcome to WetCanvas!

Best use of Payne's Grey I've ever seen - the folds on the back of Spassky's jacket don't seem quite as nicely handled as those on Fischer's, but that's a small niggle - everything else here works very well indeed.

Dave

Gavinart
02-02-2005, 10:59 PM
It feels rather stiff - as if it's been traced.

dcorc
02-02-2005, 11:24 PM
That's fair comment, I think, that it looks a little stiff - but that's very much something that's intrinsic to acrylic - I think it suits the subject matter well in this case (The hard top-lighting reminds me of the war-room scenes in Dr Strangelove)

Dave

Spyderbabe
02-02-2005, 11:24 PM
Welcome! No written explanation necessary here. I knew right away who, what,where... and the monotones give me the sense of a b&w newspaper photo, placing it in time. Good job!(Did that all really happen over 30 years ago?!)

LisaArt
02-03-2005, 03:41 AM
Welcome! No written explanation necessary here. I knew right away who, what,where... and the monotones give me the sense of a b&w newspaper photo, placing it in time. Good job!(Did that all really happen over 30 years ago?!)

I ditto Kathleen...Great job!

laketrees
02-03-2005, 05:43 AM
Angular, desperate and chillingly cold. You have captured the mood entirely. The lighting and use of black, white and grey is very effective. :clap: :clap:
Cheers Kim

BMurphy
02-03-2005, 06:33 AM
Thanks for all the feedback.

Gavinart: I am interested in the comment that the painting seems 'stiff'. It wasn't traced but I did use a ruler a lot to try and scale from the photo properly. I also used masking tape to get clean edges on the table, etc. Can you advise what I could have done differently to give a less stiff approach?

In response to Tamara, the object in the right of the foreground is, I think, a barrier of sorts, separate to the table. I think you are right that it seems to distract from the overall and should possibly have been omitted.

Dana Design, You're right about the shoulder, I just didn't do the best job of blending it in, my bad. Also, dcorc, I did Spassky first and in my haste didn't give the folds in his cloth enough attention.

Again, sincerest thanks for the critisism, it is very helpful.

Best Regards,

Brian.