PDA

View Full Version : Hearts on fire

Marian
02-02-2005, 12:57 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/02-02-2005/49488_105-0540_IMG.JPG

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Hearts on fire
Year Created: 2005
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 12 x 16
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
The colors of the fall resonating with the passion in the hearts...

This was previously posted, and then went through some subsequent `adjustments'. This is the final product.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I wanted to use a green sky (inspired by Van Gogh) as a background for a couple of autumn trees. The trees also symbolize an adult couple whose hearts are still filled with passion (with trees rendered as inverted heart shapes). All comments are wellcome.

Andrew
02-02-2005, 01:11 PM
Let me start with what I like about this piece. Actually, I love the thick passages of paint, and the depth created in the trees, and surrounding shrubbery.

Compositionally, the focal point of the trees seem too centered to me. It would be stronger, IMO, if it were moved to the left or right a bit (think rule of thirds). Also the smooth passage that appears as a background building, seems lost in the process. The thick sky seems to cut off the structure, so it doesn't seem to belong.

Andrew

pampe
02-02-2005, 06:45 PM
Agreeing with Andrew

the chunkinees of the paint and the vibrancy of the reds are wonderful!

The centrality of the composition takes some of the excitment away

Pam

Dana Design
02-02-2005, 08:21 PM
I do like your impasto effect on the trees but somehow the impasto on the sky area doesn't read well. It comes forward too much rather than receding. You've been given good advice here. I'll look forward to more work from you! :)

Frida200
02-02-2005, 08:35 PM
agree on the impasto effect in the sky... but the COLORS are great! What a beautiful green... :clap:

artbabe21
02-02-2005, 09:06 PM
welcome Marion to the OC forum... :wave:
Agree with crits given...:)

Marian
02-03-2005, 11:10 AM
Thank you all for your comments. There were some problems with the composition from the beginning, I tried to fixed them... it didn't quite work...