PDA

View Full Version : Companion piece to first time post of 2/1/05

pain_ter
02-02-2005, 07:54 AM
:wave: Here is a companion piece to the post of (First Time Post 2/1/05) Encaustic
8x8 inches

blumoon
02-02-2005, 10:53 AM
Wow this is amazing. Do you do illustration as well? All I can think of to say is 'poignant'. The greens are so rich.
Could you give me a miniature description of encaustic? Or at least point me to a place where I could learn more about it? Pretty please. I have been curious about it, and I have also heard it is one of the oldest art forms. :)

pain_ter
02-02-2005, 03:35 PM
Encaustics is the oldest form of easel painting and used by the Egyptians in thier Mummy cask portraits as well as the Pompeii wall murals and greek painting.It basically is wax dry pigments and resins ,on a painted with a brush on a heated surface such as heavy cotton boards, wood or masonite placed on a copper plate to conduct heat from a hot plate.I use light heat on cotton boards and a little heavier on woos and masonite.You apply the mixture to the heated surface with brushes much like oil and acrylic painting or you can use solid encaustic sticks .When you have what you want i put it in front of an open heater to fuse it all together.it can be reheated and worked on anytime.The resins help harden the surface.The colors do not fade and last many ,many lifetimes.Hope this explains the process on a simple form for you.
Also hope you had a chance to see the image from the post of 2/1/05(First Time Post)in the Minature section.My works are generally in that size frame but i have completed up to 30 x 40" works.
I enclosed another Encaustic to give you an idea of what can be done with the medium.
Again thank you for your kind words.

blumoon
02-02-2005, 09:18 PM
:clap: Wow, more beautiful work. Thank you so much for your explanation. Seeing this makes me want to give encaustic a go. I will look into it further. I think I remember seeing that there is an article on wet canvas about encaustic. I will have to look that up.
I wanted to say, I'll bet you could illustrate books, or book covers. I mean that as a compliment. :D

blumoon
02-02-2005, 11:03 PM
Just thought I'd pop back and share the link to the article on WC about encaustics in case anyone is interested.
WC Encaustic Article: Ed Zawadzki (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/15290/459/)

pain_ter
02-03-2005, 12:36 PM
Just a note>>>>A great Encaustic supply source
http://www.fineartstore.com/enkaustikos/
pain_ter :wave:

paintsplatter
02-04-2005, 01:42 PM
Wow, very beautiful work..love the texture or feel of the work. Such rich colors as well..

pain_ter
02-04-2005, 03:39 PM
Thank you so very much Paintsplatter.....Pain_ter :p

blumoon
02-04-2005, 09:52 PM
Thanks for the link to the encaustic supply store.
I meant to say, would love to see you do a WIP. Do you normally post in mixed media? :)

pain_ter
02-06-2005, 02:29 AM
I'm still new Blu so i'm not sure what WIP is ..... :confused:
Only posted here not Mixed media.How about you where do you Post?
I do go to the Chat Cafe at night ...great people there..........
Pain_ter :wave:

blumoon
02-06-2005, 01:32 PM
Hi pain_ter. Wip is a work in progress. People start a thread, and show us the various stages of a painting from start to finish. It's way cool. You mentioned you work a bit differently from Ed, who did the WC article on encaustics, and I am sure others would like to see too.
Welcome to WC. Takes some time to find your way around this sight, so maybe later you will fell up to a WIP.
I sometimes post in Acrylics, & the Color Forum. I want to get more involved with Landscapes, and Plein Air, and of course I post lots in Miniatures. It's something new to me, the miniatures, but I am addicted. LOL. And I sold five on Fri & Sat! :cat:
Why don't you come visit the Colorful conversation thread in the Color Forum. We start a new thread weekly on Monday's, and it's like an ongoing chat, sometimes we even talk about art!!! :D Come by and introduce yourself. Great people in that thread. Here's the link to this week's, and a new thread will start tomorrow:
Colorful Conversations (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=247170&page=1&pp=15)