MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/02-02-2005/56931_siren.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Siren II
Year Created: 2002
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 100 x 45 cm
Allow digital alterations?: No, please :)

MY COMMENTS:
Any comments about this surreal painting are welcome. The background and the dress are painted with palette knife. The rest with brush.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I am interester to hear what you think about the subject of the painting. What it brings to your mind. Technical comments are also welcome.

Wayne Gaudon
02-02-2005, 09:05 AM
nice, peaceful, and elegant.
The window reminds me of church buildings and the scene seems based on African art with long flowing extensions or rhythmic movement.

Esmeralinda
02-02-2005, 09:20 AM
This is very very beautiful. I love the length of her and that inner light. I can hear Enya singing. She's gracious and lovely. Because of that window, (but also the light and her mouvement) it has a feeling of spirituality. :angel:

Am I talking too much ? I love it . Wish I could see the painting in real. Must be very therapeutic. :)

Linda :wave:

LisaArt
02-02-2005, 12:38 PM
Hi Sampo,
I have to add that I like it very much. Very elegant and stylish. I am curious about the round ring in her chest area...Perpahs her soul?
Very cool and refreshing..I can look and look. :clap:

katelynalain
02-02-2005, 12:57 PM
elegant and graceful. evokes much feeling. she is hollow as the wind itself. nice movement. very beautiful.

Andrew
02-02-2005, 12:58 PM
Interesting piece. Strong monochromatic presence, and dramatic elongation of the figure. I am not certain I like that disc on the figures torso.

The first thing it made me think of was Goldie Hawns character in "Death Becomes Her."

Andrew

sampo
02-02-2005, 02:57 PM
Thanks for your comments again. Quite close guess Lisa but the round ring is not actually her soul. It is the hollow place where the soul should be.

Here is the first version of the siren. This one is acrylic on paper.

http://www.artnstuff.net/galleria/teoskuvat/31_l.jpg

debbi_carr
02-02-2005, 03:30 PM
larger than life. beautiful. gone back to look again. i don't like the name though...it is much more rare and beautiful than the name IMO

Tamana
02-02-2005, 10:08 PM
I like the second much better except for the emptiness (shape, that is). This one's a bit too round and does resemble an ornament of sorts. It's very well done technically; but on the feeling side: sad. Cold and lost beckoning for warmth; and the beguiling of her beauty is as the song of the sirens off the coasts that drew sailors mad with their song to their death upon the jagged rocks and raging seas.

Gavinart
02-02-2005, 11:08 PM
Narnia and Erte come to mind. A little Lord of the Rings too.

Quiet
02-03-2005, 12:08 AM
A soulless figure displayed like a religious icon? Very interesting. And beautifully done. She’s built like Jack Skellington of the Nightmare Before Christmas. I find myself wishing she were a smidgeon farther to the left, since her arm and dress extend so far to the right. But it’s a minor thing. Lovely piece. There’s no need really to present it as “surreal”; the image speaks for itself.

sampo
02-03-2005, 03:27 AM
Quiet: A soulless figure displayed like a religious icon?

Yes there is something religious in that painting but it is on the viewers side of the cathedral window. The siren and her world are on the other side.

chammi kaiser
02-03-2005, 01:52 PM
:wave: This is so beautiful. I feel that it is the spirit of the woman returning. It is almost as if she is begging to be accepted despite her past. Chammi.

Fagan
02-03-2005, 05:39 PM
Both paintings are soft and etheral. The second one is a little colder in nature...I think because it looks like ice. The first one ....my first reaction was the creature in the spaceship from "Close Encounters of the Third Kind". *LOL* I know....but that is what I thought at first.