PDA

View Full Version : Anguilla Sunset

Londondeon
02-01-2005, 06:23 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/02-01-2005/44933_wc_Anguilla_sunset.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Anguilla Sunset
Year Created: 2005
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 14 x 11
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is another (the third) in the cloud series that I am working on. The clouds in this one are supposed to be the focal point. I am still debating the merits of a palm tree in this. There was a low one in the foreground that just came into the region of the water and i am debating whether or not to include it.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Should I add a palm or not> Or is it finished? Comments about the composition or the techniques would be welcome as well

Tamana
02-01-2005, 07:57 PM
o O lah lah!! Talk about the sun diving into the horizon! That's a cannonball into the ocean! It's a lovely depiction - the palette especially. The silhouetted umbrellas are terrific and I'm not certain where you're thinking of adding a palm, but I like it as is. Those grey clouds are like a steam engine rolling through the dusk with night. There's a good deal of tension between the light of the viewer's right and the dark of the left. Not sure it's too much for an off-balance - but thinking...if you lose the umbrella farthest to the left - it might level out a bit more.

Wayne Gaudon
02-02-2005, 11:21 AM
How do these things get lost. This is very beautiful.

debbi_carr
02-02-2005, 12:43 PM
beautiful. i don't think the palm is necessary but i do think like tammy, that you could probably lose the umbrella farthest to the left to create more harmony, i think.

balfour44
02-02-2005, 12:53 PM
A major focal point happens to be your signature on this piece, its distracting and taking away from the beauty and flow. it needs to be much more discreet and out of sight. other than that its a lovely painting!

Andrew
02-02-2005, 12:54 PM
I don't think you need to include the palm, nor do I think that it would be compositionally detrimental if you choose to do so. Personally I like the umbrellas. However, I seems to me that the umbrellas should have a hint of backlighting, and not be simply silhouette, given the angle of the setting sun, and the line of reflection on the water.

Andrew

dcorc
02-04-2005, 06:12 AM
This works nicely - no palm tree needed - as others have said, losing the leftmost umbrella and making the signature less obvious would help the composition.

Dave

jerryW
02-04-2005, 01:43 PM
great triangles
everywhere!

streaking structural strength strings strongly

YLCIA
02-04-2005, 02:07 PM
Very striking, beautiful painting.

Julia

Spyderbabe
02-04-2005, 10:32 PM
One more vote for no tree.
Your clouds are wonderful. Inspirational clouds.I also would move the signature --- over to the lower left. I notice that you include the '05 - do you have a reason for doing this?

bbbilly1326
02-04-2005, 11:57 PM
Beautiful as is, no tree needed IMHO.

roberj
02-05-2005, 12:10 AM
You already have good advice. The reason I agree about the unbrella is that there are too many and the tops of them are too near the darkness on the horizon. The uniformity distracts, makes you look to the left to figure out what that dark thing is. The sky is very nice.

Bob