PDA

View Full Version : Tiller Rose

Mikey
02-01-2005, 02:49 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/02-01-2005/28043_Tiller_Rose_3.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Tiller Rose
Year Created: 2005
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 12 x 12
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I began this loose, but now it's looking overworked to me.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
What do you think?

Gilberte
02-01-2005, 03:14 PM
No Mikey it's not overworked.
I think it just needs MORE darks, where the petals meet at the bottom and in the heart of the rose ...
Squint and tell me what you think ..........

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Feb-2005/9813-28043_Tiller_Rose_3.jpg

Dana Design
02-01-2005, 03:29 PM
Hi, Mikey....This is beautiful, gorgeous and lovely colors! I agree with G-bear, more deeps between the petals and perhaps a touch of light on the two bottom petals.

It's still loose and lovely and doesn't look overworked at all to me!

Something different for you! Very nice!

Wayne Gaudon
02-01-2005, 03:48 PM
now it's looking overworked to me.

I'll be the bad guy and agree .. too much blending and overstroking .. too much decision as to what color goes where and too much white (chaulk)

When that happens I find the best way is to just scrape it off and rework it from scratch. The imprint will still be there so it's fast and easy and you know where you want to put those strokes if it's second or third time around. Also agree that some darks will help punch it up.

A good way to darken cad red is to add alz crimson and cad yellow med .. to further you could add some thalo green for mute althought this looks to be mostly alz crimson, rose madder, or quin magenta.

Mikey
02-01-2005, 09:32 PM
Thanks Gilberte, Dana and Wayne. This is what happens when I try to please other people I guess. I'll put some more darks in and try what you suggest about the colours Wayne. It was mostly Alizarin, Napthol Red and Quin Magenta. I'd like to see more colour variation in the top hightlights as well.

Mikey

Tamana
02-01-2005, 09:42 PM
Well I'm fashionably late, I see (this must've been on another page when I swept through earlier); however, will say that since you have decided to revise that I hope you let us see.

Like this garden route you're on, Mikey. It's about time we all stopped to smell the roses....

;)

Dana Design
02-01-2005, 10:43 PM
Thanks Gilberte, Dana and Wayne. This is what happens when I try to please other people I guess. I'll put some more darks in and try what you suggest about the colours Wayne. It was mostly Alizarin, Napthol Red and Quin Magenta. I'd like to see more colour variation in the top hightlights as well.

Mikey

Who are you trying to please, Mikey? Art is painting/working to please oneself. You asked what we thought. We responded. If you are happy with the original, don't change it under any circumstances. It's still very nice, either way.

In fact, it's beautiful.

katelynalain
02-02-2005, 12:21 AM
hi mikey,
commissions are really hard. i think you have struck a nice balance. it really glows. i agree about adding some true deep darks as gilberte suggested. ..and if you are unsatisfied with the 'white' of the highlights..maybe you could add a glaze of warmth when it's dry. (faster and easier than starting over imo). i'm sure they'll be satisfied with it...

Dhuot
02-02-2005, 12:24 AM
Hi Mikey...Iz-been-a-vhile

The center of the rose might have a little too much detail...

Maybe...

Is the green background a result of studying Bouguereau ? Cause it looks very good to me.

Is the flower for someone ? :)

laketrees
02-02-2005, 12:46 AM
I don't think it looks overworked - although (IMO) a touch of contrast in the heart of the rose wouldn't go astray ....... your client will love it!! :clap:
Cheers Kim

LisaArt
02-02-2005, 03:17 AM
Hi Mikey, No not overworked. I think its a beauty! I love looking at it and that dark pink is so hot! A few little more darks and I think you will be happy.

Esmeralinda
02-02-2005, 09:36 AM
Sorry, I'm so late :( but wanted to say it is stunning. Show us again if you had more darks, okay :wave:

Linda

Mikey
02-02-2005, 04:53 PM
Tam, thanks I would love to have a garden of my own, although I not sure I'd find time for all of that work. I can paint them anyway.

Hi Dana, in this case I made the mistake of wanting to please the rose grower first. He wanted detail, but that looks as if it isn't going to happen.

Thanks Katelyn, it is quite dry now and |I can always wipe the glaze back.

You want to know who I gave the roses to. It was in my dreams.

Hi Kim, yes, as Gilberte says the dark has to go in now.

Thanks Lisa and Linda, I'll see how it goes.

Mikey

Mikey
02-05-2005, 07:03 AM
Somebody asked to see this now I've done some glazing. The darks do not show very well though.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Feb-2005/28043-Tiller_Rose_5.jpg

Esmeralinda
02-05-2005, 10:29 AM
Thank you for reposting Mikey; it is lovely. Gives warmth to my heart.
Are you happy with it now? I find pink sometimes difficult to work with.
You have yourself a beautiful painting here.

Linda :wave:

Rieko
02-05-2005, 04:28 PM
Hi Mikey, now the rose looks airy and glowing! I can even smell the fragrance :)

Personally, I'd add more dark tone at the bottom petals where they meet at the stem; but like you mentioned, the darks must not be shown well in the pic. Anyway, it's BEAUTIFUL!

Mikey
02-05-2005, 04:52 PM
Thanks Linda and Reiko. I'm waiting for a reply from the rose grower now. He thinks Redoute is the greatest flower painter of all time.

Mikey