GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Nyx
Year Created: 2005
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Watercolor Paper
Dimension: 13x10
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
My first post - eek! Small picture of the goddess, Nyx, bringing dusk. I used ink and watercolor and fixed a couple of spots in PS7.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Mainly, I'm interested in fixing the landscape below - it just doesn't fit with the rest of the picture. Should it be more detailed? Darker? More variation in color?

Wayne Gaudon
02-01-2005, 02:39 PM
Welcome .. My thoughts would be that the blues in the dress are so powerful you need to find a way to get some of the blues into the landscape. They don't have to be the same value or intensity of the dress so keep them to your landscape values but you need to get some in there .. I would use a muted version of the blue.

Gilberte
02-01-2005, 02:47 PM
More or less like Wayne said ...
Keep sharing ...

pampe
02-01-2005, 06:34 PM
WELCOME!!!!

I agree with Wayne....your painting is cut into three pieces now...the gray land, the yellow sunshine and the lovely goddess

REALLY well done!!!

When we carry color throughout, I think the flow and the cohesion is better

I would suggest you also post this in the
WATERCOLOR FORUM (http://wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=106) for additional input!

Pam

dcorc
02-04-2005, 06:59 AM
Welcome!

What an inventive work! As others have said, perhaps pull a little more subdued blue into the landscape.

We normally encourage people only to cross-post to a couple of forums around the site - and as Pam's advised, cross-posting this in watercolour would get you good advice no doubt - however, I'd also bet the people in the Fantasy/sci-fi forum would love to see this too!!

Dave

jerryW
02-04-2005, 01:40 PM
this is a winning illustration style

artbabe21
02-04-2005, 05:20 PM
welcome to WC & the OC forum...:wave:
I think you have been given some good advice here & look forward to seeing more of your work. I certainly like the concept!

nes7827
02-04-2005, 06:01 PM
I love your picture. I'd do something radical - either way darker, or gesso out most of that. If you cover it with gesso, and then hit it with a sprayer, you'll get a translucent, foggy effect that will act as foil for the subject. I wouldn't add more color, since the subject is so cool. Cropping something off the bottom might be a good idea. I have a zillion ideas for it, but it ain't mine! wish it were :clap: :clap: :clap:

SMViolano
02-04-2005, 10:21 PM
The handling of the fabric is lovely- expression is great- No Crits here- a fantastic fantasy painting. Agree that Sci-Fi x-post would be great!

BTW: Your hounds illustration on your web page is extremely well rendered.

Tamana
02-04-2005, 10:26 PM
Astra inclinant, non necessitant
- The stars incline; they do not determine

I truly like the design of this and the symbolism. A sentinel of stars lead by the embodiment of night.

- I have nothing to add to the crits -