GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Black Mare
Year Created: 2005
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Other
Dimension: 5x7
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Please ignore background, I think that I have the jaw of the horse to big,I know the highlights are not
in the right place. This is my second painting of a
horse, the first was a mini painting.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
When painting a black horse how can I get the highlights to look right? when I left them white it didn't look right. What color can I use?

cryla
02-01-2005, 12:19 PM
I don't know much about horses, but your picture looks pretty good to me!

As far as the highlights are concerned, the photo shows the highlights in reds and purples on my screen. When you look at dark hair in the sunlight it sparkles lots of colours, so maybe you could try and find the colours that appear in your horse's coat in real life?

brushstroked
02-01-2005, 12:32 PM
Jody, this is REALLY well drawn! You seem to have a good understanding of the musculature of horses.

I'm going to leave the question of highlights to the professionals, but I'd like to point out that a black horse usually has a lot of reddish highlights, (especially after a summer in the sun), as can be seen in the reference photo. So for me, the medium highlights would be maybe a burnt sienna, and light grays for the brighter ones.

Can we get an opinion from someone with color experience? :P

It's a beautiful painting, Jody. You should be really proud of it!

jody007
02-01-2005, 02:13 PM
:wave:

Thank you Cryla and Brushstroked for looking at my painting,your
comments are very helpful :D . The next black horse I do I will try the
comments that you all posted. Thanks again for your help! :D

Jody

pero lane
02-01-2005, 02:34 PM
Jody you've done very well here. :clap: I see no problems with the jaw. Anatomy is perfect and a fine specimen he is! Don't forget your shadow from the left front leg as well. :)
Your highlights look great here... for black coats highlight colors would be pretty much some of the colors in the surrounding area...a little of the sky blue...a little of the grass greens...some darker tones of violet are nice too. :)
Just keep working at it...it'll come easier with time. Nice work here! :)

Wayne Gaudon
02-01-2005, 02:34 PM
I know you said ignore the background but the horse is so well done that it's a shame not to put as much effort into the background or just leave it out completely and do the horse just standing on a patch of dirt .. sort of like the old pastel jobs.

As for highlites, white would not work because of the high contrast .. I think you could use any color (based on the light) as long as your values were consistent. Remember, that on a black object the hightlight might only be a #7 value and a white is a #10. From a quick eyeball of the photo the value of the highlites is low. Check your value and then use a color that will match the temperature of the highlite .. warm (a version red) cold (a version of blue or green). Not all highlites are of equal value or temperature so they will vary over the subject with the highest value being the place of highest contrast.

Marysa
02-02-2005, 03:11 AM
Being an old horse lover...I think you have done a great job :clap: :clap:

jody007
02-02-2005, 11:34 AM
:wave:
Pat , I didn't see the shadow behind the left front leg until it was
to late. :( I have already gave the painting away. But I will keep I eye on
my next painting on my shadows. :wink2: Thanks for your lovely comments.

Wayne,

As for as the back ground goes that's the way they wanted it. They really wanted all of the details on the horse. So I just wanted them to be happy :D . But on my paintings of my horses I will put much more detail in
the background ok. I really just started to learn to paint and draw so I know
I have a long ways to go. But with everyone help I will get they. :D Thank you for your lovely comments. :D

Mary,

Thank you for yourly comments! I am also a horse lover! :D

Jody