PDA

View Full Version : Woodland Garden

Mikey
01-31-2005, 07:51 PM
A landscape for a change. If it looks like a mess so far I'm happy with that, because I can bring it together as I paint. Otherwise I do have a reference photo.

Oils on 24 x 18 inch canvas.

Mikey

katelynalain
01-31-2005, 08:20 PM
this is very exciting. a change of pace is always a good refresher. so many possibilities in this one. play with light. have fun!

LisaArt
02-01-2005, 02:23 AM
this is very exciting. a change of pace is always a good refresher. so many possibilities in this one. play with light. have fun!

Oh Mikey, I agree. I really do like how and where this is going. The touch of pink flowers in the corner is dazzling.

Mikey
02-01-2005, 12:42 PM
Thanks Katelyn and Lisa. I'm looking to put ssome bright patches of sunlight in here and there.

Mikey

Gilberte
02-01-2005, 03:07 PM
Some more work on that big bush and some darks in between the flowers ?????
YEZZZZZZZZZZ ... !

beautiful.

Mikey
02-01-2005, 03:14 PM
Some more work on that big bush and some darks in between the flowers ?????
YEZZZZZZZZZZ ... !

beautiful.

Thanks Gilberte. Yes, I will have to restate the darks in places.

Mikey

Spyderbabe
02-02-2005, 04:31 PM
I see that lovely tiller rose has you thinking spring! How's it coming?

Mikey
02-02-2005, 06:22 PM
Hi Kathleen, I think we've had spring in the air a few days now. It's warmer and there are the first signs of buds on the trees at this early time. I like to see the blossom on the trees we have lining the road, but love to walk in the wood when the young leaves are a bright yellow green. The photo I'm using for reference is very much softly top lit, so maybe it's middle summer. Well that lighting could be fairly boring. I haven't had time to paint at all for two days now.

Mikey

Mikey
02-09-2005, 11:39 AM
I've posted this to let you know I'm still alive more than anything. I just cannot getr a half decent photo. I've restated the darks, and have still to put more light coloured gren leaaves on the bushes and some more sunlight generally I think.

Mikey.

Spyderbabe
02-09-2005, 12:32 PM
Good to see you again! - Yes more sunlight esp on your focal points.

Mikey
02-09-2005, 08:43 PM
Thanks Kathleen. It's going to come to life. It may seem strange to us, but garden photographers seem to like dull days. I don't personally.

Mikey

LisaArt
02-10-2005, 02:26 AM
Hi Mikey, Looks great, You have been busy..
I so like it like this very much.
More sunlight would also be very nice. Hard to say. You go with your feelings. Always turns out smashing...

Gilberte
02-10-2005, 03:58 AM
Hi Mikey,
It's wonderful.
What is the part beneath the white flowers and next to the roses ? ... a pond perhaps ? Maybe the white flowers could show more difference in values also ? :p It's up to you !

Mikey
02-10-2005, 06:21 AM
Thanks Lisa.

Gilberte, alas this is such a our photo hat you cannot see this is a path to the left of the pink roses. Yes, those white flowers definitely need some more colour and shape. Many thnaks for your comments.

Mikey

Esmeralinda
02-10-2005, 02:08 PM
Hi Mikey, :wave:

Miss you on OCF, so decided to say hi along with checking out your WIP.
I love flowers but can't seem to be able to paint them as good as you. This is very lovely. Like the background a lot. It is going to be a smash, I'm sure.

Tourlou !

Linda

Spyderbabe
02-10-2005, 02:24 PM
Mikey - whats going on there at the left edge, mid high. In the first posting it looks like a brown path but in the second it's more like a gray -- bench?

Mikey
02-10-2005, 03:00 PM
Many thanks Linda. My computer time has been limited of late. Not only that I've accepted as position as Director of a writing forum. I can't think what I did to deserve that. :rolleyes:

Hi Kathleen, thanks for pointing out that disappearing path. There is a sort of grey stone bench, with a path in front. I have actually been able to paint a little today.

Mikey

Melani
02-10-2005, 09:59 PM
Hi Mikey, I'm new to the forum so just cruising to see what is here - came across your work and enjoyed where it is - luscious color and a liquid application - very nice! i tend to refine too much (is that possible?) but really like the state of your painting as is - leaves alot for the eye to play with... so look forward to your tahdah... feels amorphous for me...
anyway - enjoyed!

Mikey
02-11-2005, 10:32 AM
Hi Melani, a warm welcome to Wet Canvas. Many thanks for your kind comments. I'll try to post the update on this soon.

We look forward to seeing your own work.

Mikey

Mikey
02-12-2005, 11:03 AM
The white roses are looking a bit bleached out in this photo, but trust me, they aren't. I'm not happy with it so far.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Feb-2005/28043-garden_woodland_3.jpg

Gilberte
02-12-2005, 12:29 PM
Now that's a progress (or finish ?) that I like sooooooooooo much !

katelynalain
02-12-2005, 01:08 PM
Hi mikey!
this is just beautiful. i can smell the flowers, feel the atmosphere, and relax in the shade of the trees. dont take this too far as i always do to mine. there is lots to see and i could just keep looking. the subtlety of the flower stem leaves in front of the path (..wish i could point) are perfect. this is one mighty fine painting. :wave:

Mikey
02-12-2005, 04:34 PM
Thanks Gilberte and Katelyn. It's been a while since I did a landscape and I'm used to doing them with acrylics. It may need a few finishing touches.

Mikey

Spyderbabe
02-12-2005, 04:41 PM
I'de like a little ore definition in the roses.
Also, maybe you could cut down one of those redwoods in the back? The fattest brightest one? That one seems too thick and obvious to me. The others have delicate leaf patterns or more graceful limbs.

Mikey
02-12-2005, 04:47 PM
Hi Kathleen, I've got the feeling the rose grower might not be happy with the roses. I think the background trees may be too even, so I'll quieten some down a bit, and maybe put more in on others, or just one. The thick looking tree is actually two close togtherr, so I'll have a good think about that since you mention it.

Mikey

laketrees
02-13-2005, 01:25 AM
It reminds me of Monet's gardens.....excellent work Mikey... :clap: :clap:
Cheers Kim

Mikey
02-13-2005, 07:12 AM
Thanks Kim. Just a bit more to finish it now.

Mikey

Esmeralinda
02-13-2005, 11:26 AM
Hi Mikey,

Those tree trunks and that background are SO beautiful !

I could be just me (because nobody mentionned this) but I would add more shadow on the white flowers. If you think not, just ignore me. :wink2:
I agree to put more definition on the roses. Can't be easy, right ?

Other than that, this is very beautiful, Mikey. A very nice piece of ART.

Linda :wave:

Mikey
02-13-2005, 06:12 PM
Many thanks Linda. I may have been trying to hard at this point. The white roses do tend to look all white in the photo, but in fact aren't. I've tried to improve the roses, but a rose painter I am not. I've just taken a flash photo, but it isn't very good. I don't know why, although everybody here seem happy with this I am wanting something different.

Mikey

Esmeralinda
02-13-2005, 07:20 PM
It is not doing what you like, but liking what you do that is the secret to happiness. (James M. Barrie)

Hi , me again. I just read this on a post (I think below Purplepansey posting) and thought of you.

Don't you agree ? Don't worry, your painting is lovely.

Linda :wave:

Mikey
02-14-2005, 07:05 AM
Thanks Linda. It's the roses which bother me.

Mikey

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Feb-2005/28043-garden_woodland_4.jpg

Esmeralinda
02-14-2005, 09:24 AM
I just looked at your latest picture and really, Mikey, the roses are quite good. Just the one in the foreground right corner needs to be worked with a stroke or two.
BTW, I see better the shadows on the white flowers.

Do you have a date to finish this ?

I honestly beleive you can call this lovely painting finish.

Linda :cat:

Mikey
02-14-2005, 11:28 AM
Many thanks Linda. Yes, I've got to put in a suggestion of petals to that right hand rose I think. I haven't got a finish date for this painting, but my show is booked for the last week May and the first week of June, so I obviously want to produce some more good work and get this one out of the way. I was sketching my first visual for a new imaginative painting in the coffee shop this afternoon.

Mikey

PS. I'll put my finisned rose on the main critiques forum now.