PDA

View Full Version : Wilson Creek plowing

Londondeon
01-31-2005, 07:59 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/01-31-2005/44933_wc_wilson_creek_plowing.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Wilson Creek plowing
Year Created: 2005
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 11 x 14
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
We attended this plowing match and I tried to capture the power of the horses. I have started a series on clouds and wanted some subject with the clouds that reflected a rural character. So combined clouds and plowing reference photos to create this piece. It is part of the series of rural America I am painting for a show in June.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Do they work together? The cloud photo combined with the horses plowing photo?

Any criticism welcome.

brushstroked
01-31-2005, 08:11 PM
They absolutely work together! You've captured the age-old battle of farmer vs. nature: turn the sod before it's soaked. :D

Beautifully done!

Laura

aznugget
01-31-2005, 08:58 PM
Rank amateur here but as your picture was loading I was really impressed with the sky and the horses and the field of grain, but then the dirt in the forground was there and in my opinion it detracted from the beauty of the rest of the piece. I just love all of it except for that.

Linda

Jim Updegraff
01-31-2005, 11:53 PM
Are you familiar with the work of Harvey Dunn (American, 1884 - 1952)?

LisaArt
02-01-2005, 03:38 AM
It is striking. Love the colours here.

Fagan
02-01-2005, 10:07 AM
Looks great to me!! good job of combining subjects.

Wayne Gaudon
02-01-2005, 10:17 AM
nice coloring . nice work . because the field has no recession in color or value it gives the illusion of the man and horse team being on the edge of a large ravine .. if you remove the front dirt; it removes the illusion without having to devalue the field and I think the field should remain as vivid as it is because the whole piece works very nicely as a unit .. (minus, of course, that front patch of dirt road)

Good work.

Spyderbabe
02-01-2005, 10:58 AM
Clouds are impressive and plowing is powerful. I'de crop it right in the middle of those little weed clumps. But if you want to maintain the 11 x 14 then paint out the dirt, using your ochers and yellows and sienna but kill the white.
You've captured the spirit!
I googled Harvey Dunn and found this quote by him:
"Paint a little less of the facts and a little more of the spirit. Paint more with feeling than with thought; when intellect comes in, art goes out."
...sounds like something Jerry has been telling us all along. :D

Londondeon
02-01-2005, 12:48 PM
Since so many commented on the foreground brown area, I guess I should state my reasons for this. Plowing is done in circles or large square. The foreground is supposed to be the plowed ground nearest the viewer. I wanted to indicate the area left to plow, perhaps fading the yellow to the plow and horses would give a better feeling of distance. Maybe even bluing up the field as it moves away. I wanted to have the feeling of the work yet to be completed before the storm. It also broke up a very large unplowed field area at the bottom of the painting. Perhaps I should paint it in a different way? I would like to keep the feeling of the plowed forearea, but am unsure how to make this work. Help?

Spyderbabe
02-01-2005, 12:59 PM
Maybe people who know plowing would have 'gotten' this right away. Maybe the foreground area should be wider or more curved?
More of an aeriel view (in the next one) would give you the chance to show those plowing patterns. This low viewpoint shows off the clouds so well I wouldn't change it.

Gilberte
02-01-2005, 03:06 PM
I love those rural scenes and you did a good job.
My only question is the light on the wheat (?) under such a heavy clouded sky ... :)

Londondeon
02-01-2005, 06:09 PM
This is a prairie grass field (fallow) and there are patches of light showing through the clouds here and there. It was bright on the field with the horses, but you also must remember that the clouds and the land scene are from two different sources. In the original painting, the sky is a little lighter.
Thanks everyone fo the help.
Londondeon