PDA

View Full Version : fog at sunrise

Londondeon
01-31-2005, 07:50 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/01-31-2005/44933_wc_fog_at_sunrise.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: fog at sunrise
Year Created: 2005
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 11 x 14
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is a tonal study. Used hansa yellow, phthalo blue, and vermillion plus a little white in the sky to complete it. Just an experiment and a timed piece. I had assigned my students a lesson on painting a piece al la prima in three hours. I also assigned the same task to myself to see how it went. This was the result.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
The original photograph had a paved road. Do the ruts with puddles work? How does the color read? Do you feel like one of the glorious sunrises diffused by heavy fog? That is the intent, did I get it.

brushstroked
01-31-2005, 08:37 PM
Yes, foggy, yes, and yes. :p
Although I don't feel I can answer your questions with total honesty since I'm viewing the painting on a dark monitor. I do wonder if the "reds" would be more diffused in some areas than others, depending on the position of the sun. Not sure that's possible in a "tonal study" :confused: perhaps more darks than just the silhouettes of the trees?

Anyway, it's very striking. I always like it when a teacher accepts his/her own challenge. :)

Londondeon
02-01-2005, 12:43 PM
Thanks for the comment, this was an experiment in tonal painting. I have always enjoyed this technique in the 1920's plein air painters and was trying to get that feeling, but still haven't quite captured it yet. I will keep trying. I was inspired by an article in Southwest Magazine featuring Brent Cotton and his tonal paintings and wated that feel, but I have a ways to go.

chammi kaiser
02-01-2005, 06:36 PM
:wave: At first I thought this was a forest fire! I like it a lot particularly the water on the road. I think that you have captured the reflections beautifully. Chammi.

Londondeon
02-01-2005, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the comment about the fire. I guess it is like my other posted piece "Stormy." Different people see different things. I feel that this is a way to keep people involved. If we can see totally different things at different times that will be good. I too felt it could be a fire, but in fact it is the fog glowing during a particularly intense sunrise.
Londondeon

xvallarta
02-01-2005, 06:53 PM
I'm sorry but I don't enjoy this picture. In the morning their is a decided -yellow-blue-green color to the light, but if you add fog you are adding blue/grey. This looks more like a fire or if you have to attach it to a time of day sundown.

Yes I know their are red sunrises but they pass quickly and in any case if you were painting those fleeting moments in the fog you would be seeing a grey/blue + brown color...a lot like smog.

sorry but I think although it is colorful the "time" is wrong.

Myles

giniaad
02-01-2005, 07:01 PM
nice image to look at
diffused, it is...nicely...well done
but fog?
I don't believe, no matter how intense the sun may be,
that the red would be that intense through fog

again, nice image and composition!

YLCIA
02-01-2005, 07:35 PM
Vey striking! but fog? It does look like a fire:)
great reflections.

Julia

O'Aieghlans
02-01-2005, 08:39 PM
This does seem like a forest fire, unfortunately, I think it's the intensity of the red.

I agree with another poster that these tones are not quite right for a sunrise.

When the sun rises, the air is cool -- sunrises are predominately yellow or clear or blue tones. Sunsets are more likely to have red tones because the air is much warmer.

I might suggest that fog needs to be hinted at; fog hugs the ground and tends towards the grey. Tone down some of the black, especially on the lower portions, and introduce hazy grey. Fog towards the highest sky would tend towards the white. Framed by fog below and above, it might make more sense, image-wise. :wink2:

Esmeralinda
02-01-2005, 09:10 PM
I love this painting and the contrasts but do agree that it looks like a forest fire. I do not see fog ?? It has Magic to it.

Linda :)

Marilyn Speck Ballard
02-02-2005, 12:15 AM
Fire, yes. Very realistic and vibrant. Fog, no. Fogs should be misty and FOGGY, with whitesh greys, and blues. Fog occurs when cold air meets warm ground, or warm air meets the cold ground. Free science lesson.

Marilyn

haaf
02-02-2005, 05:21 AM
Maybe just by adding the idea of a rays or beams of light will direct people away from the fire-path
Caroline ;)

Wayne Gaudon
02-02-2005, 10:02 AM
definately not fog .. fire in the sky .. As well, I think you should be seeing things in the darks and not just total dark. Using 3 colors there are a ton of shades in similar values that would work well within the shadows. Not full blown features, just a few storkes of different hues here and there to denote a bush, a branch, a stump, etc.

3 hours .. why so long? :evil: :D

Andrew
02-02-2005, 01:24 PM
Honest. I was expecting something in a blue-green or blue-violet haze with dim side or backlighting. My first impression was more of a forest fire over a fog. Although, somewhere I have some strong photos of orange-red sunrises and sunsets that followed Mt. St. Helens, and they were far from fleeting moments of color.

On a side note, I think Wayne is correct, a few more values to indicate other forms would add significantly to the painting.

Andrew

Tamana
02-02-2005, 10:04 PM
I don't believe, no matter how intense the sun may be,
that the red would be that intense through fog

That was my initial thought as well. You've have some good suggestions; nothing I can add to. I do like the balance/design of it, though. That reflection in the road is wonderful.

Gavinart
02-02-2005, 11:16 PM
Needs some cool spectrum. Too red.

DO you kow Ryder?

Londondeon
02-03-2005, 12:11 PM
This was painted with primarily vermillion and phthalo blue. The darks are cooler (phthalo with vermillion glaze). It is an exercise in tonal painting and does not necessarily have contrasts of warm and cool. It is the first time I have experimented with a tonal painting. I will try some others to see if I can improve
Londondeon