PDA

View Full Version : Books on Color

CarlyHardy
06-15-2000, 01:48 PM
Since this thread focuses more on books than on Nita Leland...although she is one of my most favorite artists...and I have all her books that I know about!, I thought I'd change the topic and throw out a few more books that I have..(all of you know that I'm book poor! right?)

Color, How to See It/How To Paint It
by Judy Martin, Chartwell Books, Hardback, about $20 retail
This covers a lot of the basics making it a very good beginners book for reference.

Energize Your Paintings with Color
by Lewis Lehrman, North Light Books, Hardback, $28 retail.
This is a group of twelve artists who give different ways to use color to create the effect you want. A good study of the color wheel basics, too.

How to See Color and Paint It
by Arthur Stern, Watson Guptill, hardback, $25 retail.
Just looking at the pics will not be enough to realize the depth of knowledge that this book contains...you will have to get out the paints and try the exercises to understand its full value!

Making Color Sing was one of the first books on color that really opened my eyes to the myriad possibilities when painting and its still one of my favorites!

carly

Gisela
06-16-2000, 12:35 AM
I purchased a publication called 'Color', that was put out last year by American Artist magazine. It's a compilation of articles from American Artist and Watercolor magazines {geared towards watercolor painting). It examines the colors, one by one, and the unique ways that different artists use them. It also has sections on earth colors, metal colors, grays...
Lots of good information, and a steal for $10.00!

Gisela

------------------
http://www.artistnation.com/members/paris/gisela

rapolina
06-27-2000, 01:16 PM
I was born in colors (my parents had a color factory) and i learnt soon lots on colors;
I think that "making colors sing" by J. Dobie is the book that can change the way to see and use colors. I didn't bought others because i think that's enough and excellent.

ciao, rapolina http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif.