PDA

View Full Version : The Eyes Have It!

mebucko
11-30-2001, 08:21 PM
Here's a few of things, just to kind'a keep things going... It's not really sculpting, but it relates, I think...
I just thought that maybe somebody might want to see some more eyes, maybe not, but they're here already!:) too late! I do these on a 1' wooden ball that you can get at (almost) any Michael's, Hobby Lobby, etc. (US) 25 cents... Cheap!
I paint 'em all differently depending on the subject it's supposed to go on. Caucasions have a different eye color than African Americans, and so on. After the base background (BG) is done, I use sewing thread in colors of red, pink, and light blue to make the veins, it is very convincing too.
I paint the eye using acrylics, then coat with a clear resin, which on some stuff it can yellow in time, but not really having another option at the time, I did it anyway.
The human eye in reality is approximately 1" in diameter, and the iris is appox. 5/8".
The pupil (to me) looks better with a larger one, of course, it's up to you.
Although using acrylics to do this, it really didn't satisfy me, with oils I do believe that you can get as realistic as a real eye. I may do that if I ever do some again.
Just thought that I'd mention this in case that maybe someday somebody needs to do this. If you do though, please do yourself a favor and check your eyes out good using your brain, we all (some of us) tend to look at stuff with our mind, and not the organ that we're talking about bringing about something that isn't as realistic asd it could be!:) (I do that sometimes)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Nov-2001/eye2.jpg
The color is not that accurate on these...

sandge
12-01-2001, 01:33 AM
These are great! Thanks for sharing a terrific 'how to'. Now if I ever need to make one of these ... hehehe :)

Great stuff! :D

wendee
12-01-2001, 05:33 AM
thanks for posting this....was very intresting...:D

diane555
12-01-2001, 09:11 AM
Hi Randy:

These are terrific! Thanks for explaining how to do it. You never know when you might need a good eye. I used to make carved wooden rocking horses and ordered glass eyes because I couldn't make a nice round one. I had to put them in with wood fill and sculpt around the eye area but this would have been much better! I'll keep it in mind if I am working on one again or dolls again. I like the one on the left the best :)

Di

mebucko
12-01-2001, 11:31 AM
Sandra: Thank you! Now... you 'never know' what you could be doing next week... :)
-R-
Wendee: Thanks, you're welcome...
-R-
Di: I appreciate the comments! I do realize too that this is for somebody that wants to do it the hard way, and wants that look that they might feel that 'they' can give it. I do want to say here that the "thread" that I spoke of is unraveled into tiny 'vein-like' strands that look so real afterwards, it's amazing. If anybody wants semi-realistic eyes, one of the best places is doll eyes from doll suppliers. If you want realistic human eyes, they can be ordered from they can be ordered from places on the net, I'm not quite sure of a place right now though...If you want really, really realistic animal eyes, a taxidermy supply house. That's what I have read anyway, as I'm sure you know. I know that this is not for everybody, but it might just spark an idea, and that's kind'a what it's all about. Also, these eyes were kind'a rejects, but I just wanted to show different styles.
The first eye is actually a part of a bolo tie, 'I know', who wears a "bolo" these days? I was going to be the one that brought 'em back!:) The middle eye is actually a 3" wooden ball (like the small ones) that I made as a paperweight/desk object type thing. It's actually fairly realistic, but the photo here doesn't show it, for some reason. The one on the right is a pin, it's designed to put on your cap or shirt, whatever... Just thought I'd mention some of this...
-Randy-