PDA

View Full Version : Precarious

Quiet
01-31-2005, 01:45 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jan-2005/49891-precarious_01.jpg

Another salvage operation. I started this painting two or three years ago. I got this far and didnít know what to do next. I was afraid to ruin it. Iím finally ready to risk it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jan-2005/49891-precarious_02.jpg

Did a quick quick sketch-in of new stuff I want in the image. I really want to give the feeling of the space of the cavern, that the opening is a long way up. Miles to go before I sleep . . . This one means a lot to me so I want to get it right. Suggestions, comments, criticisms? Feel free to make digital alterations or whatnot.

Spyderbabe
01-31-2005, 01:59 PM
The first image has more timbers and cross beams and I think of an old mine. But then in the second we have more staglimites (sp??) and a cave but still a few cross beams. Maybe the cave interpretation shouldn't have any timber in it -- just rock outcroppings?
Is the sketch-in areas meant to suggest ice or just color tones?

LisaArt
02-01-2005, 02:28 AM
Hi Quiet, Like what you have done with it.. Most interesting.

Jim Updegraff
02-01-2005, 08:06 AM
At first glance it was scary. On looking at it you get the idea that it may just be youthful adventure. Like Tom and Huck in Indian Cave. The sense of space (really depth) is palpable. It does seem to me that you have to decide whether you are representing a natural cavern or a mine shaft. Thatís a minor point. The idea of a single light source high above the figures is effective. This is interesting.

It doesnít help any that caves, mines and caverns are my own personal phobia.

jimmy craig
02-03-2005, 08:28 AM
Hi Quiet. I love the original! The atmosphere is there. I wouldn't touch the top portion with the opening until you develop the area around your figures. In drawing the stalagmites are you trying to punch out the figures more? I think if you darken the space behind the figures, dark at bottom and gradating as you work back up towards the light it will punch the figures as well as increase the depth of the work. A wonderful composition!

Quiet
02-03-2005, 09:22 PM
Thanks for your comments!

Spyder Ė Itís supposed to be stalactites, not ice, though I can see how the wacky colors hint at ice. Iím rethinking the whole purple thing. It seemed like such a good idea. . .two years ago.

Jim Ė Hmm, Iíll have to do something about that ďyouthful adventureĒ thing. I actually started this painting after helping a friend overcome a suicidal spell. While I do want it to be readable at a glance as one person trying to help another out of a dangerous situation, I also want there to be a gut-level feeling of desperation and dangerous hope in a dark place. Hopefully Iíll be able to pull it off with the lighting, and maybe with a major shift in the colors. Cheese is not what Iím shooting for, and I know Iím treading close to it. Iím really starting to regret the purple!

Jimmy Ė Haha! Thanks! Well, I made the leap of messing up the original, so now I have to keep going whether I want to or not. Itís in an awfully ugly state at the moment! Youíre right Ė with the big stalactite I both wanted to make the figures pop out more and I indicate great depth. It needs a lot of noodly work, but thanks for the vote of confidence!

I keep having to tell myself ďitís okay to take a long time on a painting. . .Ē

leverettfinn
02-06-2005, 02:24 PM
While I do want it to be readable at a glance as one person trying to help another out of a dangerous situation, I also want there to be a gut-level feeling of desperation and dangerous hope in a dark place. Hopefully Iíll be able to pull it off with the lighting, and maybe with a major shift in the colors.

I keep having to tell myself ďitís okay to take a long time on a painting. . .Ē

Wondering if the bottom figure's posture could be made to look more vulnerable? ...like deepen the angle of the ledge, or have the ledge be not quite so deep...maybe feet hanging off ?? Looks a bit too...i don't know....comfortable(?) there for what you are trying to express....probably can be done with lighting and color change...(LOL about the purple phase...)....

The one that seems desperate is the "helper"...and now ...after i've typed that....am wondering if that's what you meant in the first place :D LOL

Lauren

Quiet
02-06-2005, 11:23 PM
The one that seems desperate is the "helper"...and now ...after i've typed that....am wondering if that's what you meant in the first place :D LOL

;-) Somewhat, yes - but thanks for pointing it out! I'll see if I can't get the lower figure to look a little more dangerously perched. . . thanks for the feedback!

(I'm making headway on my other WIP. . . it may be a while before I work more on this. . .)