PDA

View Full Version : THE OIL GUSHER, January 31 - February 6

Pat Isaac
01-31-2005, 08:26 AM
Goodmorning everyone! It's not snowing, having a quiet week. Grab some coffee and join us at the OiL Gusher.

It's been fun to share our artwork, and now we have a place to get to know each other a little better, and share all that other interesting stuff that happens in our daily lives.

Tell us about yourself, your family (two or four-legged) and your ups and downs, or your in betweens.

The "Oil Gusher" is not the place to discuss politics, religion or our philosophies about life. WetCanvas provides both public and private chatrooms and a Debate forum for our members for this type of lengthy discussion. We want to make this a place for gentle camaraderie .

Please do join us!
:) :) :)

CarlyHardy
02-01-2005, 08:47 PM
Hi Pat!

This is a slow week for me :) I love that kind!! Just finished Michael Creighton's newest book "State of Fear". Will probably be a movie in a year or so. Was interesting. It's about global warming and whether or not it's reality.

Today doesn't feel much like a warming trend :D

carly

mr sandbanx
02-01-2005, 10:22 PM
Very much a part time pastel user. Have them, avoid them! would never post anything based on what I see here. I spend too much time in Watercolour and thought I would have a look about to see what else is happening. Hope that you don't mind.

Hard to believe it is February given the extremly mild weather here in southern Ontario.

Good luck with the gusher. I will keep an eye on it.

Chris

Pat Isaac
02-02-2005, 08:43 AM
Welcome, Chris. Lurk all you want and join us anytime. Our weather here in New England is anything but mild this winter. :(
This is a very busy week for me and I probably won't get to my studio until Friday. Not a good thing given the upcoming show. I have Crichton's new book, but have not read it yet as my husband is reading it now. I like his work. I am reading James Patterson's lates "London Bridges". I am a big mystery book fan.
I went to Cape Cod yesterday to pick up work that was in a show there and then I travelled to the other side to meet with a friend that I graduated from college with. We were very good friends in school but lost track of each other as the years went by and just recently have found each other again. It is nice to reconnect.
Still not snowing here :clap: :clap:
Later, Pat :wave:

mr sandbanx
02-02-2005, 11:15 PM
You may regret that Pat! Cos I just might.

I am in the studio whenever I can be. Have committed to a painting a week in a challenge over in the watercolour gallery which means the pastels may dry up before I get to them perhaps in October. (plug: Have a look at Kevin and Chris's painting and poetry Challenge every Thursday if you want to have a smile. The poems are sometimes the hard part and sometimes not).

I will drop in here for sure, but will not stir it up like I have done over there. Promise.

thanks for the welcome.

Chris

Pat Isaac
02-03-2005, 08:56 AM
No regrets, Chris. I'll take a look at the painting and poetry challenge. I also do watercolor, but have not posted over there because I have become so involved with the oil pastels. I noticed your pot with the apples. I took that pot(really like it) and made my own still life with it. It is still a WIP but hope to finish ist soon.

Pat

prestonsega
02-03-2005, 09:44 PM
"Have them, avoid them!" Chris, why do you avoid pastels...I know it cant be that you consider them more of a challenge that watercolor,,,,I have a deep respect for all watercolorists...I find it to be quite the challenge....one that I am just not up to these days... :wave:

Hey Pat and Carly....the week is flying by so fast...I feel like a deer blinded in the headlights......It is somewhat depressing to realize that everyone is given the same amount of time each day...and I use my time not as wisely as others,,,I seem to have lost my zeal for life...I think I have hit "burnout" stage taking care of my dad. It is like experiencing sensory deprivation..days fade to night which fades to day, which fades to night.... and on and on and on. I would have lost my mind by now had it not been for Wetcanvas...

Ok..thanks for letting me whine! :D

mr sandbanx
02-03-2005, 10:35 PM
Preston. I meant that more tongue in cheek than anything. A casual remark meant to indicate that I was butting in here in the pastel forum, without anything to show to deserve to be here. But I certainly do observe much of the work here from time to time. But I do not think at all that pastels are easy.

I took to watercolours last summer after promising myself for years that I would do so. Having kids tends to prevent that. I figured it was now or never and jumped in. Too far... perhaps. I am involved in a challenge which requires me to paint a painting every week for a year. To make it interesting, we have decided to include a poem with each painting. (I love poetry). It is a terrific experience but it sure is demanding!

So the pastels will have to wait a bit.

Don't know your personal situation re: your Dad. But we took care of my Mom, and then seven years later, my Dad, before they passed away. We had a support group of sorts (mostly neighbours and friends) who would come in and watch things at least once a week (many times two or three times a week) to allow us to get out with the kids and have a day to ourselves. That was huge and I suspect we would not have made it without that help. Making time for yourself, and sticking to it are too important. As is talking ( I don't see any whine in your post)

good luck

Chris

prestonsega
02-03-2005, 11:06 PM
Chris..I perused your posts...wow! You have only been painting in w/c since summer?????? Quite impressive!!!!

Dad had mid stage alzheimers...these new meds have practically stopped the progress of the disease.. but it is still a 24/7 job. I am sure taking care of 4 kids and your parents was quite exhausting, mentallly and physically.

I am planning a long weekend in Atlanta next month, so I have something to look forward to a plan for. :clap:

BTW..My hobbit name is Hambut Deepdelver of Brockenborings :D

Glad to get to know you, Chris!!!! Hang out with us more often!

mr sandbanx
02-03-2005, 11:28 PM
Wow that is an old thread you found Hambut.

Pat Isaac
02-04-2005, 08:51 AM
Wow, Chris. Wonderful watercolors for just a year at them!!! :clap: You have a great feel for the medium and very nice use of color.

Preston, sorry to hear about your Dad and I know how consuming that can be. Glad you have a trip to look forward to as that will put you back on track. It's okay to whine......

Rain here, which has taken the huge snowbanks down a bit, so it is easier to get around.

I am going to the studio now and hope to get a lot done on my still life so I can post some more progress.

Back later, Pat

mr sandbanx
02-06-2005, 01:36 AM
Thanks Pat.

Looks like the watercolour guy is hogging your thread. I will go away for a while and leave you nice folks alone!

Pat Isaac
02-06-2005, 10:13 AM
No problem, Chris. Everyone is welcome. :)
Pat