Dimension: 11
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Another in the "cow" series.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Anything is appreciated. Thanks, Jm

Michael-Ann
01-31-2005, 12:30 AM
I love it! Modigliani noses stretched out...trudging home...or rather going for that salt block that the rancher just dropped off... one by one... two by two, we gotta do what we gotta do! I like the painterly glass block effect of your brush work Mr. Woodguy!

Wayne Gaudon
01-31-2005, 09:46 AM
very nice Jim but the edges on the cows are extremely hard as well as the edges on the forest and snow line. Scott has the expertise on edges so have him hit you over the head.
Forget they are lines and let your items go in and out of each other as you did with the tops of the trees and clouds and as well within the lines of the bodies; In those items, you let your colors melt melt and blend so treat your lines as equals and let them melt and blend .. losing the edge is not a bad thing.

Moosehead
01-31-2005, 11:04 AM
I like the comp and perspective. Like the "cow series" in general. As I mentioned earlier, horses get all the attention and it's about time cows get their due :D .

Kidding aside though, I always like to see originality.

It appears the lead cow has less contrast between the light and shadow than the rear cow-perhaps this is just the photo, but if not, I think I would highten these contrasts a bit more in the lead cow.

I think the hard edges in the cows, especially the lead cow, help give a more 3D effect, so I'm not sure I entirely agree with Wayne on that aspect. However-you know my experience level, so take my comments with as many grains of salt as you wish.

pero lane
01-31-2005, 11:32 AM
Hey Jim..I really like this cow series of yours! The only thing in this one that seems a little off to me is the shape of the middle cows head...looks like an X shape. Hope that's understandable! :D

giniaad
01-31-2005, 11:37 AM
Jim...I'm really loving this cow series...

here is my understanding
the more saturated/richer the color is...the closer it is to the viewer
and as things recede colors are less saturated
the more sharp edged lines places the focal point (if you want one)
the focal point can be where ever you want it
(there are many thoughts about focal points
and how they are used...or not)

here, I think, the focal point is generically
a bit after the head of the first cow
(which is good...leads the eye into the piece)
then distancing with the background...
the cows are so close together, that color saturation will not vary too much
I guess you could push it a bit more if you wanted to...
but, not necessary.

again...love the series!!

haaf
01-31-2005, 12:00 PM
Hi Jim
This one is good too!! Good series.
The middle cow is a bit wonky, but that's no problem I guess for you.
Caroline ;)

Spyderbabe
01-31-2005, 12:33 PM
These hard edges do give these guys a 3D or sureal look which for some reason makes me smile. Trudging home after a long day.
I would like the middle guy to have some hint of a fourth leg.

Gilberte
01-31-2005, 04:44 PM
Lovely interplay with light and shadow.
Anatomically speaking I wouldn't know just nothing ... :wink2:

shirleyq
01-31-2005, 06:58 PM
Well heck and ratsaphras @#[email protected]#%#$#@ This machine ate my reply so I will start over.

The crits here are enough for me so I just wanted to share this with you.
When I was very small, my brother and I would go out every night to bring our one and only milk cow in from the 160 acres that we lived on. She wore a bell and if you stood very still you could hear it clanging in the distance. That was a happy time........innocent. Thanks for the memory. :)

woodguy
01-31-2005, 09:55 PM
Thank you, Michael-Ann! Modiliani noses :clap: He has always been a favorite. Glad that SOME of his influence wore off on me :)

Thanks, Wayne! Yes the edges you mentioned are hard...but for what I wanted this to be I felt that is was necessary. At one point in the evolution of this there were very few contrasts and all forms were very loose with few discernable edges. It did not feel right. I decided I wanted "pop," so I knew what I had to do. And you are right, losing the hard edge is not a bad thing, but my temperment has a "hard" time with it :wink2: I appreciate your comments. And am glad to see you moooo-ving in a new direction :evil:

Thank you, Jon! You and I agree on the 3D effect, so I am taking your comments with a grain of "sugar" :)

Thank you, Pat! Yeah, that middle cow needs some attention :mad:

Thank you, Gini! As always I really appreciate your comments and insight :clap: I was not paying as much attention to the saturation as it relates to receeding space, as I should have. Now that you have mentioned it, I can see some things to attend to.

Thank you, Caroline! I think that I can fix that middle up a bit...no
problem :confused:

Thank you, Kathleen! That middle cow really only had three legs, but for believablity I supposre I could go back and add a fourth :wink2:

Thank you, Gilberte! Mee too, obviously :cat:

Thank you, Shirley! Welcome back form your brief absence. Glad that this evolked some good memories for you :)

Thanks all, Jim

dornberg
02-01-2005, 12:20 AM
i like the color consideration