GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Honeysuckle Branch
Year Created: 2005
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 10x8
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is a study piece for a painting I've had in my head for a long time. It is only a part of the focal point to be included in the final painting.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
My idea for the larger and completed painting will have either a human or animal element. What are your thoughts?

Michael-Ann
01-29-2005, 06:03 PM
I like the study very much, the light to dark is lovely...the leaves and flowers are like ripples on the surface of a pond. Very nice earthy green! I can't imagine how you would incorporate the other elements you mentioned, but would love to see how that turns out.

Wayne Gaudon
01-29-2005, 06:23 PM
This is stunning as is .. great drama with excellent coloring. :clap:

Spyderbabe
01-29-2005, 09:45 PM
Paul - you have really mastered your medium. This is beautifully rendered - looking forward to seeing the bigger work.

TScottDove
01-29-2005, 10:23 PM
Stunning as is, and hope that whatever you add doesn't detract from the magnificent simplicity of the branch itself. Of course, I'd probably push in more of a close-up, but that's just me. Beautiful!

dcorc
01-29-2005, 10:31 PM
Paul - welcome - this is spendidly painted in itself, and shows considerable mastery of watercolour, and confidence.

What were your own thoughts on how much more extensive the final painting, for which this is a study, is intended to be?

At the moment, the honeysuckle, and the "shallow depth of field" way it stands out against the background, is the subject - you make us look at this, and consider it afresh.

I suspect that for many viewers, once you add in a human or animal element, then that becomes the subject of the painting, and what gets examined in detail, and the plant is relegated to merely being a prop. :(

What else were you thinking of introducing ?

Dave

paul burns
01-30-2005, 08:25 AM
As a child I remember the smell of honeysuckle after a summer rain and thought of painting a child holding the branch and sniffing the blossom or having a hummingbird feeding off the blossom.

Esmeralinda
01-30-2005, 08:33 AM
If you really really really want to add, I would go for the hummingbird with touches of reds and violets because it would only take up a small space. It could be very interesting.

Beautiful work Paul.

Linda :wave: