PDA

View Full Version : Cyclamen Forest

Artistanne
01-29-2005, 04:50 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/01-29-2005/45754_cyclamen.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/01-29-2005/45754_cyclamendet.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Cyclamen Forest
Year Created: 2005
Medium: Pastel
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 8 x 10
Allow digital alterations?: No, please :)

MY COMMENTS:
another quickie...thought the stalks of the plant looked like a forest with a green carpet of leaves and pink treetops overhead...the brights aren't as "white" in real life--they're bright but not "white"

closeup for detail...i like this section as an abstract just by itself :)

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
do you like it?

Michael-Ann
01-29-2005, 05:20 PM
Gorgeous! The colors of the stems are like party straws bursting forth from their bases... These flowers are such oddities, and you have rendered them with joy.

haaf
01-29-2005, 05:31 PM
Yeah great and bright, I think cyclamen are having a revival.
Five years ago they were considered old ladies plants.
The stems are beautiful of cyclamen, sometimes they are even bright red.

Looking at the title reminds me of Lillies of the field or valley( my free translation) from a sentence from the Bible starting with the word :see.
When I was travelling in Israel at age 18, I saw close to the sea of Gallilee field with little flowers, someone explained to me that they were not lillies at all, but wild cyclamen! The person who wrote that down in the Bible was definately not a botanist.
Caroline ;)

VanArt
01-29-2005, 05:43 PM
It's beautiful! I really like the color of the stems.

I also agree with you about the close-up. Would make a magnificent abstract! :wave:

Wayne Gaudon
01-29-2005, 06:29 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: as you can tell, I like it. Super color explosions.

Spyderbabe
01-29-2005, 07:18 PM
Nice stems! Dancing blooms, great depth and so beautiful in winter.

YLCIA
01-29-2005, 10:00 PM
Gorgeous, Anne!I love cyclamens. Every bedroom shall have one I was told ;)

Julia

dcorc
01-29-2005, 10:56 PM
In answer to your question :) - yes, I do like it. There's an interesting interplay betwen the areas which are predominantly bluish-pink, those which are mainly orange red, and those which are green; and a nice sense of the lighting.

(As a technical point on the photography, the whites are a little overexposed because the image is predominantly dark, and this is what has been metered for - if you close the aperture a stop or two, or use a digital camera bracketing the exposure compensation on manual by one or two settings, or adjust brightness in scanning software for a flatbed scanner, you can usually mitigate that artefact)

Dave

dornberg
01-29-2005, 11:50 PM
i like the static rhythm in the top,
supported by the deliberate rhythm playing in the bottom

Gilberte
01-30-2005, 03:54 AM
The typical stems indicate clearly these are cyclamen. The bottom left adds a good diagonal in the composition.
Best !

Esmeralinda
01-30-2005, 09:01 AM
These are beautiful. I am learning so much on flowers with you all. I can just imagine my flower garden in a few months. :)

Love the colours and the stems very much.

Linda :wave:

laketrees
01-30-2005, 10:21 AM
The colours are magnificent and I agree the crop would make a wonderful work in itself!!! :clap:
Cheers Kim

brushstroked
01-30-2005, 04:22 PM
Wildly beautiful! I can almost feel them vibrate, like plants appear to do in time-lapse photography. I enjoy watching your play with colors.

Tamana
01-30-2005, 07:19 PM
Wonderful title, Anne. The stems are indeed indicative of a forest in some parts and tender bent reeds in others. I always love the energy you produce with your pastels irrespective of your subject matter; this is no exception. Well done.

Artistanne
01-31-2005, 07:54 AM
Thank you all very much! :)

Dave, thanks for the tip on the photography--I have not gone anywhere near the manual settings on my digital camera, I guess maybe I should give that a try.