PDA

View Full Version : Michael Wilcox School of Colour

amanda
05-17-1999, 02:33 AM
I recently heard of the Michael Wilcox School of Colour. I may be doing a course on Yellow and Blue dont make Green. Has anyone else heard of this course? Do you know of any Websites that have informtaion regarding this man or his colour theory. Also, does anyone know exactly what is different about his colour theory?
Thanks
Amanda.

Talmadge Moose
07-29-1999, 10:01 PM
Amanda,

I will try to not offend you in this reply, just offer some information that might help. I am not familiar with the Michael Wilcox School of color. But do you know he has two books published and available from Northlight? They are: Blue and Yellow Don't Make Green or How to Mix the Color You Really Want--Everytime. Basically, you need to know that it takes two colors, a warm and a cool, of each of the primaries to mix the secondary colors successfully. To get a pure green, for instance, you need to use the warm blue, cerulean or thalo, which has a tendency to lean toward yellow on the color wheel, and mix this with the cool yellow, lemon yellow. which leans toward the blue on the color wheel. Two reds, alizarine crimson could be your cool red, and cadmium red would be your warm red. But get his book if you can. Northlight, by the way, has an exccellent book club. If you need more information, please feel free to contact me at tmoose@vnet.net

Diana Lee
07-30-1999, 01:18 PM
If you look at the mixing colors tutorial I have on this site it may help a bit. It is not as extensive as a whole book, but it will certainly get you started.

Diana Lee

http://www.wetcanvas.com/ArtSchool/Color/ColorMixing_Lee/index.html

finkland
10-10-1999, 04:12 PM
As an illustrator, I use the colors that match the process colors used in printing. All colors cannot be reproduced by the printing process. I have found that by using these colors, the finished print will match the original. I use magenta, cadmium yellow cprulean blue and black. Majenta and yellow make a very good warm red. This limited pallet works quite well for me and I have only four tubes of paint plus white. From these I can mix any color I wish.

Johnnie
06-17-2003, 04:47 PM
Amanda,

Blue and Yellow Don't Make Green or How to Mix the Color You Really Want--Everytime. please feel free to contact me at tmoose@vnet.net

Hi

Im in the newbie catagory of watercolor one could say and I am presently reading the Blue and Yellow Don't Make Green book. I find it very informative. Pretty deep in spots but informative none the less. A great aid for me playing with paint and figuring out what makes what. I agree with you 100%.

I got it from the library. I would think most librarys in major metropolis would have it in and also the other title too.

I borrowed numerous books from library and it is very cost effective. You can write down what you want to remember.
I would say scan or copy but I do not condone that.

None the less if funds are thin, libraries are the answer.

Johnnie
Have a great day.

Looks like weather on the Dopler just south of lake Erie in Penn. area. Dont know if we will get here or not later.
Must undo my antennas.

Patrick1
06-17-2003, 05:58 PM
Amanda, I assume you want to buy his home study course? It looks like it's an extension of his book Blue And Yellow Don't Make Green. If you haven't already, have a look at Michael Wilcox's School Of Colour website:

http://www.schoolofcolour.com

Click on Articles, then click on Mixing Greens With Confidence; that'll give you a sample of what Blue And Yellow Don't Make Green is like. Information about the home study course is also on that site. Here is a critique of Blue And Yellow Don't Make Green:

http://www.handprint.com/HP/WCL/book3.html#wilcox

Talmadge Moose pretty much summed up one of the main ideas in this book; how to mix colours cleanly using a split-primary palette. Wilcox is a proponent of the 6-colour split-primary palette/colour mixing. It works well in practise, and many artists use a split-primary palette.