PDA

View Full Version : A few small buggers here

kasunart
01-28-2005, 11:46 PM
I've set aside that big ugly WIP (I'll try to work on it this weekend) started last week, I've been working on these small ones for a break. I feel I've taken a step in the right direction with these, only because I took more time and care with the details. I've got a maul stick setup on my easel now, so I can get in there with some small brushes and rest my hand down. Anyway, hope you enjoy, any comments welcomed.
They're 16"x20" oil/hardboard.
X-posted to the oils forum to try to spread the abstract love around, they forget some of us over here like oils too.
"Sea of Rage", "Unsolved Mystery", "The Wish" (titles, in order of my favorites.)

Ol' Don
01-29-2005, 01:54 AM
Good idea to post these in oils. They need to see some good abstracts!

Wow. So much motion in "Sea of Rage". I like all these, but that is my favorite. Thanks for sharing. :)

Koert
01-29-2005, 04:48 AM
the second one is my favorite

MountainSong
01-29-2005, 06:42 AM
*L* 'Big ugly one' indeed! You're your own worst critic KasunArt! Last time I looked that piece was practically finished and lookin' good. :D
So the little buggers - sweeet! So much motion and energy in #1 and intensity and mystery in #2. Number 3, feels a little flat maybe?? Nope, not flat, something else….not sure…. :confused: Odd marriage of elements??

Eugene Veszely
01-29-2005, 08:50 AM
I am enjoying them very much. :)

MonicaB
01-29-2005, 09:47 AM
Lovely! I especially love the middle one.

kasunart
01-29-2005, 09:59 AM
Thanks, I'm glad some of you liked the second one too,
MSong, yeah that third one is small like 8x10 or something. Just a scrap.

it'sALLart
01-29-2005, 10:02 AM
yup, the middle one. really hot reds, (you do those reds well).

the third looks like a new direction... far be it from me to disuade you from that! LOL (and i really like the textural quality...)

not sure why you like "sea" the best, would be interesting to hear why.... it's my least favorite because (for me), it lacks the color harmony that you usually seem to achieve.

kasunart
01-29-2005, 10:09 AM
Thanks Kieth, I value your insight. Truth is I don't know why I liked that one the best (probably just because its the "most newist") but now that you mention it, the hot reds always grab me too and the second one's got em!

bbbilly1326
01-29-2005, 10:49 AM
Your use of color is eye-boggling. I like the middle one best. I like its "crispness" better than the other two, I think that means I find it more structured.

Tamana
01-29-2005, 12:31 PM
The Wish pulled my heart right into it.

I too am always intriqued to see your use of color minus the muddiness often associated with such blending. The design/vibrancy of palette combined with mere presence belies their own size. But you know what? I STILL don't think you've honed your voice yet - and that's the exciting part.

Didn't you and Richard have a show or something this week?

kasunart
01-29-2005, 02:51 PM
The Wish I STILL don't think you've honed your voice yet - and that's the exciting part.

Didn't you and Richard have a show or something this week?

Thanks! I lost my voice can you help me find it? :D If this is a precursor to my voice, where should I look for it? Can you picture it and what does it look like?

Also, Yeah Richard and I had work at one place but we spent the whole evening at a different gallery. :rolleyes:

debbi_carr
01-29-2005, 03:12 PM
i guess i'm the only one that chooses number 3. the last one is definitely my favourite...i love that one...absolutely.

kasunart
01-29-2005, 03:12 PM
Here they are in the black frames I got the other day, on the easels. I'm running out of room in my house...all the walls are stacked up!

kasunart
01-29-2005, 03:29 PM
Thanks DebbiC, I read somewhere that there are a small % of people who really like yellow in a painting...most people don't. And that if you want to be commercially successful selling paintings, to not use yellow as a major color.

Also, regarding framing, do you think the black ones look ok? I may be buying a big order of a particular frame style that'll go well with everything, so I'm wondering what people generally like. I don't know, I like to mix and match frames for the piece, but for the sake of simplicity I need to pick one frame style.

debbi_carr
01-29-2005, 04:42 PM
...if you want to be commercially successful selling paintings, to not use yellow as a major color.

but but but....it it's not the yellow in particular that draws me to it...it's the reds...and how they look realtive to the other colours and the shapes...i love the shapes.

and and...i don't like the black frame :(...sooorry.

Koert
01-29-2005, 06:58 PM
seeing them in frames.... in those frames anyway.... I'm like nr 2 even better. I liked number 3 a lot too, but with that black frame... nr 2 is the one for me

mirizar
01-29-2005, 10:27 PM
I love #3!!! I personally hate yellow on walls, clothing, etc. but for some weird reason I love it in flowers and paintings :D

By the way, do you use any medium to add texture to your paintings or is it just the paint itself?

Michelle (an oil painter who is into watercolors right now but want to go back to oils soon).

kasunart
01-29-2005, 11:54 PM
I love #3!!! I personally hate yellow on walls, clothing, etc. but for some weird reason I love it in flowers and paintings :D

By the way, do you use any medium to add texture to your paintings or is it just the paint itself?

Michelle (an oil painter who is into watercolors right now but want to go back to oils soon).

I'm glad you guys like #3, yellow or otherwise...it was my "unconscious" piece, the others were thought through pretty hard.
About medium...I use a couple things to thin the paint down a tad, mostly a linseed/turp mixture and sometimes some liquin impasto (the liquin squirt out kind, its about as thick as oil paint...this makes the layers dry fast like in a day). The texture you see is mostly created by laying the paint down with painting knives. I'll also thin the paint even more if I want to make a thin line with the knife, or wash in some larger areas with brushes.
I get into watercolors once in a while and absolutely love them, it takes a few days of just doing them to get it out of my system and return to oils. In a perfect world I would have a huge studio with at least one corner to have a full watercolor station, but as it is now its too hard to work on them...I basically have to take over the floor of my family room to do them. Or do small ones at the desk. Regardless, I think its good to do both, one inspires the other.
S

Eugene Veszely
01-31-2005, 04:50 AM
I think your watercolours are great as well...you should post some more. ;)

Anne Londez
01-31-2005, 07:19 AM
i guess i'm the only one that chooses number 3. the last one is definitely my favourite...i love that one...absolutely.

You're no the only one, that's exactly what I was going to say :clap:

d-head
01-31-2005, 04:06 PM
Yellow's not a appealing to a commercial audience? Well, now I'm in deep crap. I'll throw in my favorite. #2. Black frame -- a little overbearing for these lovely, delicate pieces. MORE YELLOW! YELLOW!

kasunart
01-31-2005, 09:34 PM
Yes, Yellow is wonderful, I'm not the one who said it was overbearing, Jack White did!
Anyhow here is one I worked on tonight, it may or may not be done, I'm wondering if what's there is enough...
Oil/Board 16"x20"

ArtistJensen
02-01-2005, 04:04 AM
Yes, great little buggers. I like the last two best.

Eugene Veszely
02-01-2005, 06:39 AM
Yes, Yellow is wonderful, I'm not the one who said it was overbearing, Jack White did!
Anyhow here is one I worked on tonight, it may or may not be done, I'm wondering if what's there is enough...
Oil/Board 16"x20"

I think this needs some more work on it....more darker colours maybe??....