PDA

View Full Version : That Lonesome Valley

bbbilly1326
01-29-2005, 12:23 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/01-28-2005/2523_Abstracts_006.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: That Lonesome Valley
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 12x16
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I did this with a knife in about an hour. I did only one small touch up.

It arose from my current intense interest in painting pathways (I have another one on the forum now), a metophor for me of the spiritual path.

I used delft blue, alizarin crimson, raw sienna, yellow ochre, sepia, and a small bit of vermilion to accentuate the path.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
It's important for me currently that my paintings reach others on an emotional and even spiritual level.

Does this evoke an emotional and/or spiritual response from you?

If so, would you be willing to say what that is, and maybe how the painting could be improved upon to strenghthen or clarify its emotional loading.?

All respones and critiques are encouraged and welcomed.

Dhuot
01-29-2005, 12:35 AM
Spiritual or emotional ??

I thought that your other piece was.....
Wait !
This one too !!

the whites maybe..

......Loneliness ???

capricorne
01-29-2005, 06:04 AM
Have an emotional response to this because of the use of tender cold and wam color contrasting with the bold brushstrokes. Also because you do not try to make a 'realistic' painting.
Succes
Jan

JoeKaz
01-29-2005, 03:13 PM
Cold, rugged, harsh. Beauty of nature, but I feel a cruel power of nature: ice, rocks, pain. Those are the feelings I have in looking at this.

Your path is a visual path, but it doesn't give the impression of walking path or road. It's too steep in the moutains for that, and I get the impression of a black glacier pouring out of the mountains, rather than a road I could walk in on.

bbbilly1326
01-30-2005, 01:05 AM
Thanks to all of you for the good comments. I like this piece and feel heartened to know others can like it too, or at least have an emphatic response to it.

The knife painting is very satisfying, and I learned from this that there's nothing that paints a sharp mountain as easily.

Cold, pain, loneliness, tenderness --all the good things in life ! :D

I like it when others see things that I don't, as well. Ambiguity in art is really important to me, so i don't like things spelled out so clearly that all my questions are satisfied. I figure if you all have a different response, that aspect is successful.

Spyderbabe
01-30-2005, 01:20 AM
To me it reads like one of those rope bridges that stretch across an abyss. It's uniting and hopeful ` a method of deliverance.

Esmeralinda
01-30-2005, 09:14 AM
Loneliness and desertic for me.

Linda :)

laketrees
01-30-2005, 10:28 AM
Ah ha ....is it the road less travelled???????
Cheers Kim

JustjoGA
01-30-2005, 12:06 PM
I think the mountain are done really well... the rest is unfinished...

Jo in Georgia

bbbilly1326
01-30-2005, 12:56 PM
I think the mountain are done really well... the rest is unfinished...

Jo in Georgia

Hi Jo, thanks for your compliment.
LOL, because with a number of my recent paintings I've been unsure whether they were entirely finished, but about this one I have no doubt.

BTW, I like an unfinished look with paintings. This was supposed to be stark and a little empty, a little lonely looking, as our spiritual pathway often is. Also, the adverse landscape is part of it --a parched desert, then grueling mountains, just as in our lives we encounter periods during which we are parched and periods of great emotional and psychological challenge. It's hard to see in the photo, but there's a tiny pathway up the center of the mountains that leads over them.

So although the path involves great difficulty, and may currently seem empty and lonely, it ultimately leads us to more light, growth, new lands that we can't yet see, and experiences that we can't even imagine, so it's also a bridge across the abyss and a method of deliverance.

Mystery and ambiguity and challenge are difficult for all of us. We want certainty and fullness and comfort. That's why this Way is indeed the road less traveled. :)

I think artists probably travel this less traveled road very often.

I really appreciate all your observations on this. It's one of my favorite recent things.

Tamana
01-30-2005, 07:12 PM
It seems more like a bridge in a dream to me, Billy. I do agree that it could pop a tad more, but not much if you want the ethereal feeling to prevade. It seems like the choice is whether to cross or not...stay where you are, or move forward. Choice is hell isn't it? Unfortunately, there's no change (normally) without it. Ratz.

Like the minimalistic palette of this one.