PDA

View Full Version : newcomer to linocut

bridog
01-28-2005, 09:37 PM
Hello
I am a new member to the site. I have been exploring acrylic painting & printmaking for a little while (Serigraphy had been my primary focus in the print medium). About a year ago I started working a little with linoleum and found I am now hooked with this form of relief printing. I don't have a press yet so doing all my printing using a baren or wooden spoon.
I am attaching one of my recent linocuts called Old Partners. Thanks.

Diane Cutter
01-29-2005, 08:18 AM
Welcome, Brian... so glad to have you here... What a wonderful print. I checked out your website. You've got a lot of nice work. Are the cards also from prints?

We'd love to know the dimensions of "Old Partners", paper, inks, etc...

Diane

Ari Sutton
01-29-2005, 12:32 PM
Hi Brian,

What I like about this print is that foreground and background are clearly defined. I have seen a lot of people who are kind of new to relief printing who make images that appear to be flat. That isn't the case here. Well done. :clap:

Ari

sassybird
01-29-2005, 12:38 PM
Your work has a painterly feel to it for a relief print. I love the trees and the shadow of the one in the fallen leaves. I have to agree with Ari that your work is sophisticated. Welcome aboard, Brian. I hope to see more of your work in the future:)

Printmakerguy
01-29-2005, 08:08 PM
Excellent work, I am glad you decided to post it...

Welcome to the forum, we have LOTS of great people here- Tons of help!

-Andrew

zardoz
01-30-2005, 12:29 PM
welcome to the forum and ditto to all that has been said

nice composition with the trees leaning slightly away from each other leading the eyes up to the entertwineing of the tree limbs . I like what you've done

Sunfilly
01-31-2005, 01:19 AM
Hey Brian,
Love this lino you did, such depth . I am crazy about Serigraphy. I would like to see what you have done there too, if you have the time.

bridog
01-31-2005, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the input and words of encouragement my new printmaker friends.
I wanted to add a discovery I made on the weekend. A nearby relative (a photographer by profession) gave me a drymounting press on the weekend to experiment with in relief printmaking. We built up the internal components with a sheet of metal and some smooth plywood sheets. Took my recent "Old Partners" linoleum plate, inked it with oil based printers ink and applied to damp Somerset printmaking paper. Put a fun foam sheet over the paper and then made the press. It came out beautifully, just like an etching would going thru a roller press.
Attaching some pix of the process from inking to drying.

canuck printer

Brian

Diane Cutter
01-31-2005, 06:17 PM
I'm impressed with your ingenuity... kind of like a souped-up Speedball press, but much, much nicer. How much of a difference between the hand-pulled and the drymount press prints?

Diane

bridog
01-31-2005, 09:45 PM
Hi Diane

I have experimented with both water-based block printing ink and an oil base ink. To be honest. with the few prints I have done so far, the oil-based ink gives a more consistently rich and even distribution of ink on paper (especially on dampened mold-made printmaking paper).
The water-base ink is ok but maybe my application of the ink from the rubber brayer to the block was uneven. Thus some of the prints did not print well. It might also be the ink had lost some of it's tackiness before the print was made or I had not applied it properly.
None the less, I am quite excited with the results and can't wait to do more.
One technique I am experimenting with at the moment is etching linoleum with caustic soda and using a melted wax resist. The test strip I did a few days ago looked very promising and resembled an aquatint effect from an acid-bit plate.

You had inquired about the size of the "Old Partners" linoblock print. It is 4" x 6".

Also in answer to your question about some of my artcards featured in my website, some of them were printed by hand onto paper (silkscreen). Others were resized inkjet prints produced from a digital photo or scan on my pc of my original painting, and then I spray-mounted the trimmed image onto a recycled fibre paper cardstock.

I would also like to recommend an excellent reference book called THE COMPLETE MANUAL OF RELIEF PRINTMAKING by Katie Clemson and Rosemary Simmons, 1988, Alfred A. Knopf Inc.
ISBN 0-394-56853-2
this book has been an invaluable aid to me in learning blockprinting on my own

brian

Diane Cutter
02-01-2005, 01:19 PM
Brian...

Thanks for the info and also for the reminder on the book... It's been a long time since I've looked at my copy...

If you find time, please do open a new thread on your lino etching... I've always wanted to do it, but always seem to get side-tracked.

Diane

bdswagger
11-10-2005, 12:10 AM
Oh HELL!
I meant to start a new thread, not post in this one!
Leigh

Hi!

I've been browsing through the old threads in the forum and was very impressed with some folks engenuity-and dumpster diving skills!-in modifying other things, turning them into print making presses. Sooo, on that note, my question is...

Would the version of the printing press-1700's, Ben Franklin's days-work as a print making press? This is the type of press that has a flat bed-where the type would normally be-with the top part above, moving directly up and down on a vertical screw.

Am I making any sense here? Maybe I should go find a picture on the web and post that, so you can see what I'm talking about.

Anyway, I was thinking a printmaking press built along the same line would be cheaper-and possibly easier-for me to build.
Back soon-I hope-with a pic.

Leigh

Grant_Atterbury
11-10-2005, 07:15 AM
Hi Brian, I love the 'Old Partners' print. It's very atmospheric. Great composition too. Nice one!

bridog
11-10-2005, 10:21 AM
thanks Grant
forgot all about this "very first posting" I submitted way back in the spring of this year
I believe that my being a regular in the printmakers forum since then has helped me advance with printmaking endeavours in leaps and bounds.
One thing it motivated me to do was purchase a small etching press, so after shopping around and dipping into a holiday fund I made the leap. It was a decision I don't regret in the least.

Sorry hadn't commented on the images you posted a little while back, so took a look at your posts. I quite like what I am viewing. You have a good eye for composition and play of shapes and forms in your work. Yes, using the wooden spoon method requires a bit more patience and skill to achieve perfection in one's prints, but it does get results. Would love to see more of your work as it happens.

bridog
11-10-2005, 10:41 AM
Grant

I have been using a relief/intaglio water-based ink under the brand name AKUA
this stuff is non-toxic, no odour soya based that cleans up with soap and water, yet I found was very close in texture and drying time to traditional oil based relief and etching ink.
I had been using Speedball brand and a cheapie Canadian manufactured water based ink that proved to be somewhat frustrating in getting good flat coverage. Oil based ink gave me better results, but there was the toxicity factor that I had concerns about.

As there wasn't a distributor in Canada for AKUA I had to order some directly from the manufacturer based in the USA.
I noticed that there is a distributor in the UK for this product so providing you with a link to that. You may want to consider trying out the ink as I think the results you get with it will be night and day compared to the cheapie brands.

United Kingdom
T N Lawrence & Son Ltd
208 Portland Road Hove BN3 5QT UK
Tel 01273 260260 or Lo-call 0845 644 3232
Fax 01273 260270
Web site: www.lawrence.co.uk.
Email:[email protected]

ps. you might want to download the current catalogue, as the listings featured in the online store do not show the full range of colours (carbon black was not mentioned at all). An inquiry by email might provide you with more info. on what this company carries in that particular line of products.

Grant_Atterbury
11-10-2005, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the link. I am certainly in the market for some better ink. The only way I can get half decent results with the stuff I have currently is to roll it out then go make a cup of coffee and let it dry out for a while. I guess they do some serious watering down during manufacture!
I'm planning on asking my family to get me the inks as Xmas presents, so I'll be sure to order a copy of that catalogue and pass it on to them. :)

bridog
11-10-2005, 01:47 PM
glad to hear the ink appeals to you
it is good stuff indeed!