PDA

View Full Version : four preliminary sketches

capricorne
01-28-2005, 02:57 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/01-28-2005/12526_preliminary_sketches_4_copy.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: four preliminary sketches
Year Created: 2005
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Watercolor Paper
Dimension: 12x17 cm
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Preliminary sketches from a photo I took from the overflow area near my house

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Every comment or critique appreciated

vhere
01-28-2005, 03:03 PM
did the photo really have the tree trunks reflected in the pools? they look too far away to be reflected like that - have you got the photo?

Dana Design
01-28-2005, 03:23 PM
The reflections, I believe, are fence posts, no?

I very much like these....they are all very nice! I especially like the one in the upper right corner......those clouds are beautiful and it looks like it's about to rain again.

Very Good!!!

Spyderbabe
01-28-2005, 03:25 PM
All four palettes are fine. I think my personal preference is the last one.
Are those tree reflections or posts in the water?

JoeKaz
01-28-2005, 06:05 PM
Like others have said, I think the fenceposts do look too much like reflections, and as reflections, they'd be way off in placement, so it's a bit disorienting.

Assuming they are fenceposts, I'd either leave them out, or make them shorter - an unbroken band of sky reflected in the water should make it clear they are fenceposts. (Unless I'm completely misreading this).

I like the upper right one the most - love the grey color scheme.
Lower right is my 2nd favorite - the simple uncluttered horizon and 'big sky' feeling is nice. Actually this might be my favorite now.

Dhuot
01-28-2005, 07:25 PM
This is stunning work
Gezelig !!

As soon as I openned this one, I saw flemish country side, then I realized you were from Belgium :)
I remember myself, in a train , half asleep, near those polders, with greyish skyes.........Dank u for the memories.

These are really amazing. It could have been painted in 1850 !!!
They defy time..... :clap:

I preffer the upper right one...
Are these ONE work, or four different ones ??
If it`s ONE work, I hope you won`t cut it.

Bravo

Tot ziens

Daniel

capricorne
01-29-2005, 03:35 AM
Vhere, spiderbabe, Dana,Joe and Daniël, thanks for the critique and comment.
Obviously the fenceposts are not a clear statement and confusing the whole.
Daniël, how nice that you saw Flemish countryside! I must captured something of it. Thanks. Yes it is one sheet with four sketches.
Jan

vhere
01-29-2005, 10:22 AM
sorry I misread the fence posts - I think they need to very clearly be different in height from the line of the far bank of the pool of water - shorter or taller, they do read at first glance as 'wrong' reflections. Then it will look great

Gilberte
01-29-2005, 03:01 PM
Hi neighbour !

Excellent sketches. I couldn't paint that small, I'd get all shaky and messy.
When opening they reminded me of Valère De Saedeleer (I meant this as a compliment) :) and I read the fences as fences as well.

Hope to see more of your work in OC in the future :wave:

giniaad
01-29-2005, 03:34 PM
each with distinctive personality
me likes them all

capricorne
01-30-2005, 05:47 AM
Thanks all for looking an reply.
Valère ;)

strychnine
01-30-2005, 11:02 AM
These are all very good, but I, too, like the top right one best. The foliage looks better in that one--there's more texture and a sense of individual leaves. The just-about-to-rain-again colours in that one are really nice, too.