PDA

View Full Version : FROSTY EMBRACE

Esmeralinda
01-28-2005, 09:28 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/01-28-2005/52322_WC-Winter_scene.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: FROSTY EMBRACE
Year Created: 2005
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 16X20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I was looking out my studio window to paint this. Practicing to paint snow.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
What do you think ?

mattlart
01-28-2005, 10:16 AM
I think that I like it.

There are elements of the Russian impressionists here. (And,..they are my favorites)

Well done.
And saying that,..I'd suggest that you paint many more snow scenes. It'll be interesting to see what develops! Best Wishes,-S

cryla
01-28-2005, 12:08 PM
The snow looks really crisp and crunchy, and I love the colours in it.

The shadows are puzzling me a bit though. Is there a tree out of the picture that's causing the shadow that lines up from the bottom of the painting to the middle tree?

Spyderbabe
01-28-2005, 12:33 PM
Loving these criss-crossed branches. Interesting!
Maybe edges of snow in the distance should be a bit softer? But that's really nit-picking!

katelynalain
01-28-2005, 01:08 PM
mmmmm..very nice. i just want to duck under that and make some deep foot prints so i can see what's beyond that snow! :D nice work. the composition is great. i love those greens in the blue. a nice compliment to the reddish brown trees. i cant think of anything i would change. its a beauty.

Andrew Rance
01-28-2005, 01:43 PM
I really like the three-dimensional effect of the branch and twigs - you could really develop that effect further across the piece, its very effective.

VanArt
01-28-2005, 03:15 PM
I really like the branches. They truly appear to be reaching out to "embrace" each other, per your title. Well done! :wave:

vhere
01-28-2005, 03:22 PM
I really like this - the colours are wonderful and it is freezingly cold - what a fantastic view to have from your window. :cat:

Dhuot
01-28-2005, 07:20 PM
Linda......surprenant.

It is gorgeous. I can sens the depht of that forrest.....
The small " brindilles " peeking out of the snow, on the floor are amazing.
Very well painted. The one I preffer from " toi " Linda :D

Bravo, ç`est très beau.

Daniel

Esmeralinda
01-28-2005, 08:12 PM
Thank you all for your great comments. This is so much fun ! You guys mean so much to me. I don't only find great advice and encouragement but also friendship. :)

Mattlart; thanks a lot. Could you name a few of your Russian favourites so I can look them up.

Cryla: thank you also. Yes, I imagined an another tree or two in front of the scene to make it more interesting because I felt it needed it.

Spyderbabe: everytime I read your name "Spyderbabe" I feel I'll see this great beautiful creature full of sharpness and grace.
You could be right about the distance shadows. I thought that I did soften but maybe not enough. Thanks.

a nice compliment to the reddish brown trees

Katelyn: thank you so much. I usually put a little orange in the brown but tried red this time and was so pleased of the results that it is forever in my memory. Thanks for noticing.

Andrew; this is so great, as I did think that I could developpe more also but was too wet and was too excited to post. Thanks a lot.

VanArt and Vhere; thank you so much. I know, I'm so lucky to live here. But to get to my house, there is THAT hill and in winter it is scary and also 25 to 35 minutes of Country road to travel before you get to the City. I have two young adults that still go to school and work part time so they must use it every day and it does make me nervous.

Le Beau Daniel; Vraiment ! J'en suis touchée ! Merci. Now everytime I'll paint "brindilles", I'll think of you.

Linda :wave:

YLCIA
01-28-2005, 09:30 PM
It is a very beautiful (even though very cold :eek: ) painting:)

Julia

brushstroked
01-28-2005, 11:34 PM
Soooo much snow. :eek:

Linda, I agree that you should do more of these. Your style is amazing!

:wave:

Tamana
01-28-2005, 11:57 PM
You capture both the spirit of nature and people when you paint like this, Linda. :) When you put them together you're absolutely phenomenal (example: My Island). Perfect. You're such an inspiration to me. Just beautiful in all it's cold glory.

Wayne Gaudon
01-29-2005, 10:04 AM
Lovely Linda ,, your French/Canadian blood is really beginning to show up big time. :wink2:
I always thought Quebec painters made up their color because they use so much of it but one visit to Northern Quecec and I saw colors I had never imagined I could see. It is a beautiful place for inspiration.

Esmeralinda
01-29-2005, 10:38 AM
YLCIA, Brushstroke, Tam and Wayne; Thank you so much. :clap:

You are all helping me in knowing what direction or path is mine. I appreciate all your wonderful comments. :clap:

Gilberte
01-29-2005, 02:55 PM
Nothing more pleasant to the eye than sun and light shining on the snow. Such good work on the trees also !
Bravo ma belle !

Artistanne
01-29-2005, 03:40 PM
Lovely snow painting, love the background color/texture/night sky. Fantastic trees--not what I was expecting (not sure what I was) when I saw the title, but it's perfect. I have no critiques on this one--bravo! :clap:

Esmeralinda
01-29-2005, 06:36 PM
Merci GG (gentille Gilberte), Tu es toujours si encourageante. I'm happy you like it. Merci.

Thank you Artistanne; you really think the title is appropriate. I was so happy when it popped in my head. I usually use French titles but lately a few paintings are being named in English. Maybe because of my WetCanvas friends.... :clap: I'm so pleased that you like it. Thank you.

giniaad
01-30-2005, 02:06 AM
glad I did not miss this...
and nothing to add to the chorus
except one more harmony
singing... :music: "wonderful" :music:

(no crits...fine work!)

Esmeralinda
01-30-2005, 09:04 AM
Thank you for the harmony. :music: Sounded great !

Linda :clap:

laketrees
01-30-2005, 10:01 AM
A winter wonderland of colour (so vivid), texture and expression!! ...and such a wonderful view from your window!!!!:clap: :clap:
Cheers Kim

Esmeralinda
01-30-2005, 01:04 PM
I know, I know, I am surrounded by nature's BEAUTY! That was the north side.

I'm a little shy to post again and go back up the list but I must thank you, Kim, for your lovely words. I appreciate the time you spent looking and commenting.

dcorc
01-30-2005, 05:20 PM
This does have marked similarities with Russian Impressionism, including the works of painters such as Repin, Levitan, Korovin, and Serov (we also have a talented Russian impressionist artist of our own, from Siberia, right here on WetCanvas - Artbars (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/member.php?u=31854) ! )

You have utilised the high-key palette extremely well here for the "whites" of the snow. I agree with an earlier comment that you could have a few softer edges going into the background - but generally this is very successful.

Dave