GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Rough Sea - Fuertaventura - Canary Islands
Year Created: 2005
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 18 x 24
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Have tried to capture the movement of the sea, and the stratified effect of the rocks, using painting knives only. Paint is quite thick - impasto. Based on a photo I took at a place called Calete de Fuste on holiday some years ago.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I have taken into account some advice given after I posted this in the WIP section. I am thinking of following this up with another version, so any suggestions for improving the effect are welcome.

Gavinart
01-27-2005, 08:32 PM
I like the way the water is breaking up the horizon.

LisaArt
01-28-2005, 04:37 AM
Hi Andrew, No crits here.
I think it is Smashing. Very nice style!
I really like the thick paint/impasto style paintings
The colours are beautiful and the waves and horizon line. :clap:

artinoils
01-28-2005, 05:53 AM
The foreground water on the rocks is quite good. The rough sea is showing nicely. :)
To me the horizon seems too dark or maybe just too contrasty with the sky where they meet, attracts too much attention. Maybe more muted blue, with some burnt umber...Or maybe the sky should be less white at that point.

mattlart
01-28-2005, 03:31 PM
I really like this Andrew,......and your other work as well!(I've just visited your website :D )

Your style of painting is tremendously appealing.

I think you've chosen a gorgeous palette here.

The tide rushing into and among the rocks is believable and VERY well done.

One suggestion: The "spray" where the water-meets-rock feels a little too opaque and stylized,........if that makes sense.
I'd like to see more of an "airy" and random look to those areas to truly call this one masterpiece.

Great Work. Cheers,-Scott

xavier
01-28-2005, 06:42 PM
Very nice work.I'm only troubled by the waves breaking into the sky.
I know they break the horizon but they look like little explosions
all having a star like appearance.I would think you could soften the
effect a bit or at least make them look different from each other~

Tamana
01-28-2005, 11:51 PM
xavier nailed exactly what my thoughts were when viewing it - the rigidness and pattern of the horizon splashes of waves. Although the palette of your sky is perfect; the application disturbs me somewhat - would like to see it a bit more cohesive I think.

Other than that - it's a wonderful painting!! Especially that foreground.

Andrew Rance
01-31-2005, 01:05 PM
Thanks to all for your comments - I agree that the surf doesn't look quite right (one of the problems with knife painting is that it's tricky to get these kinds of effect). But I've fiddled with it a bit, and it looks a bit more believable now!

Wayne Gaudon
01-31-2005, 01:13 PM
very nice .. can't believe I missed this. As for the knife and the breaking wave splatters, I find the easy way is to make the explosions and then add the background color to the explosions. Then add some of the foam color so the background color isn't sitting on top. If that makes any sense to you. I think you should see a lot less smaller splatter on the distant breaks and more of the sky color instead of white.

chammi kaiser
01-31-2005, 05:08 PM
:wave: Hi . Been to Fuertaventura and you have captured it beautifully. I find the horizon where the sea meets the sky just too dark and seems to cut the painting in two. Would like to see less definition otherwise I love it and it brings back many wonderful memories. Chammi.