PDA

View Full Version : oils on Ivorine

Minibrush
01-27-2005, 09:23 AM
Takes me a while to come up with some finished pieces, but here we go:

This one is loosely based on Honolulu harbor from a sunrise I witnessed (and photographed) there some time ago. Winsor & Newton artist oils on Ivorine. This is a pretty large piece for me...3.75" X 2.25"

Minibrush

Minibrush
01-27-2005, 09:30 AM
...and this one. This house (around the block from my simple little house) has become one of my favorite subjects. It is a different beast from every angle, and I love all the angles. Painting the house seems to be a lifetime job, meaning it takes a lifetime to finish. Therefore this one is titled, "Miles to Go". Also Winsor & Newton artist oils on Ivorine. 3.5" X 2.5".

I have 20+ hours in this one, and about 7 hours in the harbor painting.

Any comments are appreciated.

Minibrush

JamieWG
01-27-2005, 09:55 AM
I love that harbor sunrise scene. It must have been at the very start of the sunrise; it looks almost like a nocturne.

I can see why that house is such an appealing subject for you! Indeed, one could play with all those angles for a lifetime! LOL...

Jamie

bjcpaints
01-27-2005, 10:19 AM
I love them both! Your patience alone is commendable! Wish I could see the harbor scene bigger - must be on the backside of Diamondhead? I know nothing about ivorine and am off to look it up. Lovely work Minibrush - Thanks so much for showing it!
Barbara

Newwings
01-27-2005, 11:39 AM
Hey, Minibrush- Great work! Your patience and attention to detail are apparent in your work. The harbor painting is so atmospheric. You captured the feeling of that time of day- Without sacrificing clarity, or the dramatic impact of contrasty elements like the foreground boat, and the lights' reflections on the water. Not an easy balance to maintain, methinks :D Again, great work- As usual! :D

Mark
http://markreep.net

Minibrush
01-27-2005, 05:43 PM
Jamie, Thanks, the horizon had just begun to lighten. I'd love to live in that house, except when it comes to painting the exterior.

Barbara, not sure if it was on the backside of Diamond head, or not. We were coming in to the Aloha Tower, but can't remember how far we were from docking at that point. Just loved the atmosphere. I appreciate your kind words. I post the images at the recommended 100k, but could zoom in somewhere on the painting.

Mark, thanks too. I love trying to catch atmosphere, and play with water and reflections. I'm glad the contrasting elements work out. Almost wanted to add more light, but resisted.

I appreciate all your comments. I'm near finishing a few more, so will post when they're done.

Minibrush

valchina612
01-27-2005, 06:58 PM
I love both of your paintings -- truly beautiful. Such detail and wonderful colours.

Val. :wave:

blumoon
01-27-2005, 10:37 PM
Wow minibrush . . . beautiful work. Can't even choose a favorite. Sounds like you do a lot of minis. Do you put them in competitions? How do you like painting on Ivorine? How do you usually frame yours? With little mats or just a small frame?

Asterea
01-28-2005, 10:59 AM
Great job once again Mini :clap:
The house is very neat, I am partial to odd houses to LOL
I wonder if the roof leaks with that roofline ? hhmmmmm :)

Minibrush
01-28-2005, 11:24 AM
Thank you Val. Color is what it's all about with me. It's even why I paint, i'm MAD :D about color!

Sounds like you do a lot of minis. Do you put them in competitions? How do you like painting on Ivorine? How do you usually frame yours? With little mats or just a small frame?

blumoon, I paint miniatures exclusively anymore. It's been a couple of years since I've done anything of a different size. I've been entering most of the US competitions for almost ten years now. I have fairly decent sales at the juried shows, and have even won a few little ribbons.

I LOVE Ivorine. It is a wonderful surface for miniatures. Used with transparent paints (for the most part) it creates beautiful luminous and 3-D effects. Like looking through a child's "Viewfinder" toy.

I nearly always frame with narrow mats and glass. The pieces have better protection, and oils on Ivorine do not need to breath like on canvas. The juried shows like this approach the most too.

The house is very neat, I am partial to odd houses to LOL
I wonder if the roof leaks with that roofline ? hhmmmmm
Thank you Asterea. Funny you would think of roof leaks. All the houses in this neighborhood got new roofs about 15 years ago due to a monster hailstorm. I'm sure theirs cost the most. But whoever did the job were artists themselves, I hope it's leak free. :wink2:

Happy weekend everyone. And thanks again for looking.

Minibrush

Lorijo
01-29-2005, 09:23 PM
Lovely paintings, I like the beautiful purples in the harbor scene. Lori

jody007
02-01-2005, 11:38 AM
Hey, Minibrush- Great work! Your patience and attention to detail are apparent in your work. The harbor painting is so atmospheric. You captured the feeling of that time of day- Without sacrificing clarity, or the dramatic impact of contrasty elements like the foreground boat, and the lights' reflections on the water. Not an easy balance to maintain, methinks :D Again, great work- As usual! :D

Mark
http://markreep.net

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Beautiful Paintings!

Jody :wave: