PDA

View Full Version : Rough Sea - Fuertaventura - canary islands

Andrew Rance
01-26-2005, 12:27 PM
Trying to get the effect of the stratified rocks and sea spray, using painting knives. Lots of paint and heavy impasto. About two hours work and two thirds complete!

Mikey
01-26-2005, 12:38 PM
This is looking superb Andrew. No doubt you'll put perspective into that blue sea.

Mikey

Gilberte
01-26-2005, 01:19 PM
Really good ! Maybe some different shades in the browns of the rocks ?

xvallarta
01-26-2005, 05:27 PM
I have 2 comments which I hope will be of help to you.

1) The sea beyond the rocks shows no graduation in line with distance. Seas which are running throw a lot of moiture into the air which causes a graduation in color depending on the distance. This is called atomospheric perspective. Also seas reflect the ambient light level, color, and tone. Your work shows none of these effects

2) The composition would I believe be better if the rocks and crashing waves were reduced in size allowing the viewer to see the sea conditions and gain a feeling as to the way the sea is behaving and WHY!

These comments rendered in the spirit of trying to help you learn. Sea scapes are difficult subjects and need to be rendered with the care and skill that one fines in finely rendered still lifes. I suggest you read/study Robertson who is one of the premier seascape painters in the world and has authored many instructional books and videos. Try your local library.

Myles

Andrew Rance
01-27-2005, 08:30 AM
Thanks, all - some good suggestions here, which I will take into account when I have another go at it tonight ;)