PDA

View Full Version : First Lino

Siobhan
01-26-2005, 01:36 AM
Hello everybody,
This is my first time posting to the printmaking forum. I have been doing watercolour prints for the past while but have always had the itch to try relief printing. I've played around a bit with cutting my own stamps to use in my paintings and cards and finally gathered together the materials to try a lino cut I (is that one word or two?). Although I am generally a technical klutz I thought this might be something I could handle. I hope you don't mind if I post my first attempt because I am as excited as all get out about the whole process and dying to talk to someone about it...all my friends here are painters and potters. Anyway, here it is. I used water based inks and printed it on an etching press.
Thank you .
Siobhan

Sunfilly
01-26-2005, 02:46 AM
Welcome Siobhan,

Lovely Lino, especialy for your first one. Watch out, printmaking can become addictive. Most people start out simple just making cards or stamps, then before they know it, they can't stop carving. :D I'm gls you shared this with us. Can't wait to see more of what you do. I really like the look of flowers with borders, I like the way you went off the sides with the flower too.

Diane Cutter
01-26-2005, 07:25 AM
Siobhan... Welcome to the Printmaking Forum and to Wet Canvas. I so glad you've joined us.

What a lovely print. It has great composition and feeling and is a nice clean pull. I like your use of detail in the stem and leaves. Very effective.

Because we are such a curious group here, I'll go ahead and ask the questions: What size is it? What paper did you use? Inks? What do you think the edition size will be?

You made me chuckle... Like you, my first relief prints were cards and from there I got interested in the whole process. And like you, although I paint also, there are no printmakers around where I live and create, making it a lonely medium.... at least until I found this forum. You're right that it is so satisfying to share with like-minded (like-medium) artists, especially since most artists don't understand the work that goes into printmaking...

I look forward to more wonderful work...

Diane

sassybird
01-26-2005, 12:27 PM
Welcome to our little corner of WC! Siobhan. I really like your flower. The composition is great. The only thing I can see where you need to concentrate on is getting a good coverage in ink before you print. Did you hand pull this by rubbing the back of the paper, or did you use a press?

zardoz
01-26-2005, 06:07 PM
this is a first attempt?

I'm of the opinion that there has been a dormant printer there all along and you just didn't know it :wink2:

really great for a first effort

sassy is right about the inking its a must if you plan to have consitent quality in an edition( something I'm notorious for not doing)

Printmakerguy
01-26-2005, 07:14 PM
Welcome to the forum, and GREAT PRINT!! Very good, especially for a first effort.

I don't think that there are any comments to be made that haven't been made already. I will second sassybirds inking comment- It is tough to get down, but well worth it in the end. You said that you used waterbased inks- Were they speedball by chance?? The print looks like it- They tend to be tougher to use, and FRUSTRATING... Trying a higher grade ink (Graphic Chemical or Daniel Smith) will yield MUCH better results... Just a thought.

Looking forward to seeing more work- We are a friendly bunch here!!

-Andrew

Ari Sutton
01-26-2005, 09:13 PM
Very nice :clap:

Along with the type of ink, you may want to try different kinds of brayers. I find that some kinds of brayers work better for me than others when it comes to laying down a consistent layer of ink.

Ari

x8foxfire8x
01-26-2005, 11:20 PM
Way to go. I just got the chance to see a lot of first cuts and let me tell you......that is AWESOME! yay! I'd love to see more, especially flowers.

Siobhan
01-26-2005, 11:28 PM
Thank you everybody for your kind remarks on my lino. It so great to get some feedback on this. I found the carving experience to be a real joy and the inking/printing part to be a bit nervewracking. To answer some of your questions, the print is 4" X 6" - the smallest piece of lino I had. As to the paper, I'm not sure. After testing it out a few times on ordinary computer paper, I reached into a pile of cut up papers that I had tucked away and picked one I thought would work. It feels like about a 90lb, smooth drawing or printmaking paper.

The ink is Speedball water based ink and you are sure right...it is a pain! Unfortunately, at the moment, all I have are 1 tube of oil based and 1 of water based Speedball. There are no art stores in town so I'm stuck at present with those 2 choices. :( I'm going to try the water based again with more care and also the oil stuff so I can compare. Next week I'm travelling to the BIG city and will look for some of the brands you've suggested.

I tried hand rubbing the first prints with a barin (not sure how that's spelled). Then I decided to try the press and was happier with that result. I have had this press for about 8 years and have only ever done watercolour prints on it. It's a heavy as sin Holbein press and getting the pressure adjusted was tricky as there is no measurement device on it. I truthfully don't know very much about using a press as I acquired this one with no instructions. I wrote to the comapny asking for instructions but they said there were none as the operation was "self explanatory". "To whom?", I wondered...feeling more than a bit dense.

Anyway, I have probably gone on enough. I'll post my next effort with that print if I can get a good one. As for how many in the edition...right now I'd settle for ONE? Any advice on any thing gratefully accepted. :)

Thanks again,
Siobhan

Jetsam
01-27-2005, 11:27 PM
Siobhan -

Just wanted to say hello, and that I also am very impressed by this first print. You hit the ground running, to be sure. And, looking forward to what develops from your work. Glad to have you join the group. - Carol

H2O_Baby
01-28-2005, 09:08 PM
Siobhan, very lovely first print. Do you do other forms of printmaking? Forgive me if this is common knowledge, I am new here.

B

Siobhan
01-30-2005, 02:46 AM
Hello H2O Baby,
The only other kinds of prints I have done are watercolour monoprints. I will dig a couple out if I can find them and post one or two. Right now though, everything here is at a standstill. I am supposed to fly across country on Monday on business and I have caught the flu bug! This is my first day out of bed so I have to concentrate on getting myself together. As a reward, I am going on an art supply buying spree when and if I "survive to arrive"!

Thanks to all.
Siobhan

jimread
02-08-2005, 02:31 AM
Dear Siobhan,

You have caught the rather floppy and heavy essence of that Sunflower perfectly, and in just a few lines, you are an artist.

Regards - Jim