GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: "Cold Cuts"
Year Created: 2005
Medium: Oil
Surface: Wood
Dimension: 16 x 24
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
For the past two days the progress of this has been posted in the WIP Forum. If you are curious about how this developed, see the pics here:http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3141936#post3141936

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Anything and everything. Thanks, Jim

Dhuot
01-26-2005, 12:05 AM
OMG :eek:

JIM !!

This is probably your nicest piece ever.....and LOL it`s cows LOL

The light and " values " (?) of the overall painting is Très Très bien... really

And the snow, which is not totally white, but has blue/grey hues.....good

phew !

Daniel

LisaArt
01-26-2005, 04:39 AM
Hi Jim, Yep I agree with Daniel,
This is my favourite cow..one...
Great job.

TScottDove
01-26-2005, 04:56 AM
Glad I clicked on to this. Very nice sense of light and shadow; and the shapes of the cows are just comical enough. A real treat.

Great title, too

jerryW
01-26-2005, 06:00 AM
uplifting shadows

vhere
01-26-2005, 07:25 AM
great colours and mood - specially the snow and trees and sky - then the warm browns against it - great!

MaryannD
01-26-2005, 08:00 AM
I like this very much. The colors are great and the title/subject made me smile.

Esmeralinda
01-26-2005, 08:08 AM
Yap, my favourite also. This is a success Jim.
They look so cold, poor things.

Linda :wave:

haaf
01-26-2005, 08:31 AM
Hi Jim

Great colors and work with the light
agree with Scott on the comic-ness of cow shapes.
Seems that these kind of cows (colorwise) can be better integrated in a painting then their black and white friends.

Caroline ;)

coulter
01-26-2005, 08:52 AM
Hey Jim, what everyone else said! LOL! but also, this one is my favorite because it's a classic example of the steelyard composition we were talking about!!

Mark

Wayne Gaudon
01-26-2005, 09:02 AM
great light, rendering, and composition
.. the cows seem to be rather pig belly in shape but I've never seen those type of cows so perhaps they are big pigs. :D

Later

Gavinart
01-26-2005, 09:14 PM
Lovely painting -- reminiscent of Millet. IMHO the horizon is a bit strong and competes with the wonderful darks in the foreground.

woodguy
01-26-2005, 11:52 PM
Thank you, Daniel :)

Thank you, Lisa!

Thank you, Scott! I am glad you clicked on it too, as I enjoyed your comments :)

Thank you, Jerry! As always I appreciate your observations. It is kind of weird how all of my cows end up in Canada :confused:

Thank you, Vivien and Maryann!

Thank you, Linda!

Caroline, you are right about the problem of the black and white Holsteins fitting into the landscape! Thank you for your kind comments.

Thanks, Mark! You are right about the "steelyard" comp. I wasn't even thinking about that as I was painting/composing this!

Thanks, Wayne! Pigs can be cold cuts too :wink2:

Thank you, Gavin! I think that you are correct about the backround being too dark. Originally it was going to be even darker because I was going somewhere else with this. But as the painting was evolving I was so happy with the soft transition between tree line and sky, I was afraid that I would not be able to maintain that feeling if I toyed with it too much.

Thank you again all for the great comments! I do appreciate you looking and commenting. Jim

purplepansey
01-27-2005, 01:41 AM
Great painting, even greater title!

artinoils
01-27-2005, 05:19 AM
I just love this...especially their expressions. The color of the light and shade on the beasts is very very nice. :)

Tamana
01-27-2005, 07:20 PM
*PHEW*, Jim!!!! I was praying it wasn't a deli scene!!! :D

You really have a gift for this type of depiction; you capture their personality as well as you do form and color. The shadows are indeed very striking in this as is the cold!!