GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Country track, England
Year Created: 2005
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Watercolor Paper
Dimension: 14
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Painting of a typical rural scene in England.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Would like comments on how to improve the painting. Particularly the trees, but any other aspect.

Regards

Bill Birchall

Londondeon
01-25-2005, 04:33 PM
If the shadows of the trees are such a contrast to the region adjacent to the shadows, why aren't the house shadows the same amount of contrast. I get the feeling of bright sunshine in the foreground, but not in the rest of the scene. The tree shadows stop at the fence line. This should be either.

As far as the tree goes.....try working by wetting the entire are of leaves and then just dropping in color and allowing it to move on its own. If you are going to "dot" the leaves, then dip in fresh color every two or three dots and turn the brush constantly so the shapes aren't so much the same/same. Try using colors such as cobalt turquoise and perinon orange in your leaves as well. Also try using colors other than green to make the leaves. blue/orange and yellow. Maybe several blues. Allow some transparency too.

It has a good composition and a nice feeling of a country road. Just be consistent with light and shadows.
Londondeon

Gilberte
01-25-2005, 04:55 PM
Very pretty scenery. Some good advice was given already so I'm just here for encouragment ...

Mikey
01-25-2005, 05:31 PM
A lot of people don't now this, but High Wycombe was my birth place.

I beautiful English scene, although I can't say much about watercolours. The perspective at the left end of the house is out, but really so what. As a beginner you should be very pleased.

Mikey

Andrew Rance
01-25-2005, 09:17 PM
Very promising work - I know High Wycombe a little, and its quite reminiscent of the 'rural' parts.

Tamana
01-25-2005, 11:54 PM
:music: Country road take me home to a place I beloooong :music:

Oh this makes me miss England!!!! You've already had crits I can't add too. And I agree with Mikey, you should be very proud as a beginner.

vhere
01-26-2005, 07:44 AM
yes, I agree - a good start. I agree about the shadows and it looks much stronger with them enhanced.

you have caught the character of the area.

birchallw
01-26-2005, 03:20 PM
Thanks to all who replied and particularly Londondeon for his detailed and helpful comments which I will try to take on board. Also vhere, who's website was extremely interesting, though it left me a little daunted at trying to achieve that standard.

Thanks

Bill Birchall

vhere
01-26-2005, 07:20 PM
thank you - you are doing fine and doing the right thing to improve in taking on board the great advice here :wave:

pampe
01-27-2005, 05:57 PM
Hi, Bill

I like the feel of this piece.....especially the far hills which are fluid

Your tree is started well.....sometimes a change in strokes and values will do the work for you, using a sponge....wet in wet ...or splattering.

Youi might also want to post this in the WATERCOLOR GALLERY HERE (http://wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=107) for more specifics.

Nice work

Pam

chammi kaiser
02-03-2005, 02:43 PM
:wave: I think you have done a great job as a beginner. A tip that perhaps will help with watercolour trees is to use a mixture of Raw Sienna and French Ultramarine on the green foliage with a touch of Indian Red in a few places. This gives a variety of tone. Quick downwards strokes with the side of the brush .
Hope this helps a little. Have fun and keep painting . Chammi.

Fagan
02-03-2005, 05:42 PM
Very well done indeed! I think you have a very good feel for watercolor. I hope we see more. Visit the watercolor forum also.