PDA

View Full Version : WIP - "Leaving"

Quiet
01-25-2005, 01:16 PM
Slowly working my way back to where I was with acrylics four years ago. . .

This is a salvage operation. 17 by 17 inches, acrylic on illustration board. Last year I decided that I needed to pick up a brush again. I had an image in my mind of a white marble interior space lit with light reflected from sunlight through a skylight. I got twelve hours into it (bloody perspective gave me the fits) before realizing that I had forgotten how to paint. I had to set it down. Anyway, after doing the painting-a-day for a while, and some other painted odds-and-ends, I think I can finish this monster now. I made some real headway on it yesterday, thank goodness.

Questions: what do you think about the composition? Cropping it down isnít out of the question, nor is adding in people or other objects to balance the composition. What about details? My original idea was that this interior should be covered with intricate carvings. Gah, what was I thinking? Do you think I should let the 3D forms of the walls be decorated only with their current shapes, or should they have patterns or images carved onto them? If so, where, and what sorts of patterns? (The remains of previous patterning are lurking there under a layer of blue.) What about the floor?

Also, by the (working) title ďLeavingĒ, Iím curious to know what you think is going on in this image. My goal is to tell specific stories with my paintings. Have I succeeded?

I've got a loooong way to go with this one. . .

Feel free to critique and/or post altered versions. Thanks!

Spyderbabe
01-25-2005, 04:02 PM
LIke the comp. Plenty of people already.
The first thing was "I had an image in my mind of a white marble interior space lit with light reflected from sunlight through a skylight." - I think if you work this you will have an interesting painting. In principal it seems similar to an underwater scene ~~~ light from above filtering into dark depths below, reflecting off walls. Right now we have just the puddle of light at our guy's feet and lots of blue. Make the lights and the reflections sing.

Quiet
01-25-2005, 06:59 PM
Right now we have just the puddle of light at our guy's feet and lots of blue. Make the lights and the reflections sing.

Yup, that's on my long checklist of things to do. Thanks!

LisaArt
01-26-2005, 02:44 AM
Hi Quiet, Illustration is superb. Very 3d. And perspective is excellent BTW. I could imagine the difficulty. :eek:
I do like your idea of white marble interior space lit with light reflected from sunlight through a skylight. Also, the idea of the 3D forms of the walls be decorated only with their current shapes.
I am not sure about the carvings...that would seem like a huge amount of work..Might make it all so busy.
The title ďLeavingĒ, is very good. I see that someone has left or the first isperson leaving and has dropped his scroll of paper, the people in the back are weeping and bent over in sorrow....Perpahs he was to be the next leader of their group, or someone who had great insight, and is leaving them...It is quite sad.
Will be watching this one..
Sorry I have no crits so far, it is moving along very nicely ;) ..

Quiet
01-26-2005, 09:36 AM
Thanks for your comments! That isnít exactly whatís going on, but Iím glad to know it can be read like that. Iíll explain whatís going on after (hopefully) I get some more versions of the story from other folks. Any takers?

Iíve started to think the best way to approach carvings might be to paint the walls blank for now, get them lit properly, and then paint the carvings on top if they are needed.

Thanks again!

LisaArt
01-26-2005, 10:49 AM
Thanks for your comments! That isnít exactly whatís going on, but Iím glad to know it can be read like that. Iíll explain whatís going on after (hopefully) I get some more versions of the story from other folks. Any takers?

Oh, I see, I am really curious now. :D

Iíve started to think the best way to approach carvings might be to paint the walls blank for now, get them lit properly, and then paint the carvings on top if they are needed.

Thanks again!

Thats a super idea..

Gilberte
01-26-2005, 01:40 PM
So far so good.
Perfect work on composition, design and depth ...
It reminds me of a painting by New York artist Simon Donikian ...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jan-2005/9813-UndertheBlissSt.Station.jpg

leverettfinn
01-27-2005, 02:37 PM

!

I'm game!

How about main figure has been bannished for some reason and no one is happy about it....He (?) has removed his sash...oh wait .(flipped back to photo)..how about.... he's changed his mind about this way of life and has made a decision to leave for the unknown....he is sad to leave...but knows he needs to go. :D ...I love games....Very interesting composition....I'll keep checking back to see where you go with this one....great drawing!
Lauren

dcorc
01-27-2005, 03:42 PM
Although the boy-band had loved staying at the hotel, they were devastated by the number of items on the bill for room service :D

Sorry, couldn't resist :evil:

It's a great image - looks like it might be something out of Jorge Luis Borges.

The perspective's great here, the figures slightly stylised - really looking forward to see how you develop this - working out patterning on those curving walls could be quite tricky - it's one where modelling and texturing in 3D on the computer would give a useful ref if you have the ability/facilities to do that.

Dave

leverettfinn
01-27-2005, 03:47 PM
Although the boy-band had loved staying at the hotel, they were devastated by the number of items on the bill for room service :D

Dave

*snort* :D

Quiet
01-27-2005, 05:52 PM

HAHAHAAAAAAHAHA! Thanks, I needed that!

Yeah, my figures are ďstylizedĒ. . . meaning Iím just not good enough yet to invent people who donít look stylized. ;-) Fortunately Iíve got a weekly open-drawing course coming up. I need it. My grasp of anatomy could be a lot better.

Thanks for sharing Donikianís work, Gilberte. Iím not familiar with him, but I do like!

Oh, as for doing this in 3D. . . *chuckle*. Nah, after modeling and texturing for eight hours a day, Iím pretty sick of it.

Thank you for all the wonderful feedback! I would love to hear a few more interpretations before I tell what my intent is, so I hope you donít mind if I donít spill the beans just yet. Iíll try to remember to bring the silly cable with me tomorrow so that I can get a more up-to-date snapshot uploaded.

The painting creeps along. . . 45 minutes painting before work, another hour before bed, putt putt putt. . .

woodguy
01-28-2005, 12:13 AM
Quiet, I can not add an interpretation. Too many possibilities, and quite frankly, I don't care. I am the kind of person who listens to a "song" on the radio and judges the quality of it not by the lyrics but by the sound and how it "feels." So on my level of perception I have to say that I am blown away in many ways by this! First of all, this, at it's current level of development, feels very much like an "illustration," and I can imagine it as a book or record cover. Also, it is very tight and very contolled and lacking expression (aside from the theme that you developing). But what amazes me is that you were able to put together this "environment," with the incredible intricatcies without (I suspect) a photo or real life references! If that is so, I can't even imagine what you are able to see when you close your eyes and "visualize!"
Perspective is perfect. Composition is solid. But (I hate to use but's) right now, in the development stage, it looks like a Coloring Book image that you are filling color into open spaces. But dang, what fantastic spaces you have created :clap: I will be watching to see how this develops. Jim

Quiet
01-28-2005, 08:50 AM
right now, in the development stage, it looks like a Coloring Book image that you are filling color into open spaces.

LOL! Yeah, I know what you mean. Hopefully I'll be able to get it out of the coloring book stage soon. Thanks for your comments! I am particularly concerned about whether or not the story can be read because one of my previous paintings - the best dang painting I've done yet - doesn't make sense to anyone. But it looks pretty! I'm aiming to get both story and looks this time. *Crosses fingers* All rightee, done with my tea, off to paint for a wee time. . .

Quiet
01-28-2005, 11:01 AM
Okay. . . hereís where itís at now. Taking it on in bite-sized pieces has helped quite a lot. The next big step is to un-blue the shadowed marble with a coat of opaque paint. Whee!

One of my friends has suggested painting in the shaft of light. What do you guys think?

What about the story? Does it make more sense now?

Thanks, and cheers!

cryla
01-28-2005, 11:15 AM
It's a wonderful picture to look at - there's so many places the eye can travel, and you imagine what's round the corners where you can only see a partial person.

The orange sash must be significant. Hare Krishna or Thai Buddhist monks?

Is the building a place of worship? Or a place of study? Or both?

Has he become enlightened and realised that he's now on his own?

P.S. forgot to say the marble floor is really shiny and the reflections of the walls are awesome!

mclean
01-29-2005, 01:13 AM
well, while you have a file on the computer, do you use it to do quick color studies with photoshop? You could investigate all kinds of color possibilities before you actually execute it. Also, i noticed you do 3d modeling and texturing? Is that a job or a job-to-be-had once you finish school?

anyway- I think by painting the shafts of light (subtley) you could give your composition a little more dynamism. I guess you wouldn't be painting the light, but the small particles in the air that are in light, but you understand. The light could also give your image more temperature variety.

Maybe you could also play with the saturation of the different blues. maybe the columns further back could be a more dense blue and the ones closer the the foreground could be more muted? I think logically it goes the other way around, but if you put the blue on the left, it gives the left side more of a compositional purpose (as opposed to just being a dull grey background). Just play around with abstract possibilities of contrasting values and temperatures, more than you have already, for it feels just a bit too "blue" to hold interest for a long time. I think the storytelling is working well now, and you've established the mood through color well, now I just want to see the color tweaked so as to push composition as well!

As I said before, never underestimate the convenience of photoshop!

Gilberte
01-29-2005, 03:16 AM
I've been looking again and again and I can read the symbolism. No advice from me ........ it's a painting that isn't easily categorized (?) but absolutely great !

Quiet
01-29-2005, 12:12 PM
Hereís the story in a nutshell: heís leaving his religion. How successful/not successful have I been in conveying this? What could I do to tell the story more clearly?

Cryla Ė I got a kick out of your interpretations! The setting, people, and religion are all fictitious. I had been wanting to paint a shrine roughly like this since visiting the Jain temples in Palitana, India, but this is a riff on the memories of the place. (I wasnít permitted to take photographs there, to my frustration.) Iím itching to work more on those shiny floors!

Mclean Ė I work at a company that makes computer games. So, I do have access to Maya and Photoshop at work, but not at home. Iím toying with the idea of getting a copy of Photoshop for myself, but then Iíll be spending more time at the computer, and Iíll have to get a wacom tablet, Iíll have to start wearing glasses again from the overtime squinting at a screen, ect. Etc. ;-) Youíre right, though, I should do a quick test on the computer to see if that light shaft would work. Heck, it would make sense to have the place filled with incense smoke, which would lend atmospheric perspective, and give the sunlight something in the air to illuminate. Iím not sure I can pull it off. . . but what the heck, maybe. . . this is largely about jacking up my technical skills, anyway. If Iím not learning from it, it ainít worth doiní!

Thanks!

Gilberte Ė lol, thanks! But Iím curious if you have been reading the same story that I am trying to convey. Plus there is the symbolic layer versus the characters-acting-out-a-play level. Do they both read clearly?

I must take care of errands now. . . grumble. . . but hopefully tonight I can start painting over all of the blue stone. Itís still a shade of blue that Iím not thrilled with. I want it to read as shadowed white, rather than blue. If anyone has any more advice on what to do with the colors in the marble, or knows of other artists who painted marble, lemmie know!

Thanks everyone!

Spyderbabe
01-29-2005, 12:33 PM
Not sure about the shaft of light... it may be overkill. Can we get the white walls first and then decide?
I'm leaning toward a religious meaning now too..... giving up the traditional ways and traditions but still not aware the light is right above??

Quiet
01-31-2005, 12:22 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jan-2005/49891-leaving_04.jpg

Continued working on this; gave myself insomnia painting late and am in post-insomnia haze. Dang, the picture is blurry. Whee.

LisaArt
02-01-2005, 02:30 AM
Quiet, I think it looks and read amazingly. :wave:

cryla
02-01-2005, 08:05 AM
Really beautiful ! The floors are even shinier now!

And thank you for your feedback on my comments. I'm chuffed that I was on the right track!

leverettfinn
02-01-2005, 05:36 PM
Hereís the story in a nutshell: heís leaving his religion. How successful/not successful have I been in conveying this? What could I do to tell the story more clearly?

I'm thinking you tell the story just clearly enough...enough to make us think what's going on here?...The marble is starting to shine...very cool

Lauren

Quiet
02-03-2005, 09:25 PM
Thanks for the feedback and the encouragement! Between this and my other WIP, Iíve got many weekends worth of work ahead of me. Hopefully there will be much more shiny to come!

Quiet
02-07-2005, 12:59 PM
Progress!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Feb-2005/49891-leaving_05.jpg

Total time so far: 25 hours.

Gilberte
02-07-2005, 02:25 PM
Mammamia ........ I'd break my legs on that floor ! S U P E R !

Spyderbabe
02-08-2005, 11:43 AM
This is a cheerleader post.... go! go! go! looking GOOD!

Quiet
02-16-2005, 01:01 PM
Having a very slow, tough time with this. I got colors I liked with scrumbling, but it made the surfaces look non-reflective. So, once again, Iím painting over the middle-ground. . . aaaaargh!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Feb-2005/49891-leaving_06.jpg

On the side I'm doing quick paintings of eggs, in the hopes that I can learn to handle subtle white surfaces with thick, wet-looking strokes. The eggs are winning, though.