PDA

View Full Version : Barn

Gavinart
01-25-2005, 12:31 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/01-25-2005/3788_hampton_barn.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Barn
Year Created: 2005
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 9 by 12 inches
Allow digital alterations?: No, please :)

MY COMMENTS:
A small painting taken from one I created in a larger format. For a gallery.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
No questions - just showing my latest work.

ponting
01-25-2005, 12:38 PM
Thank you Gavin for sharing. Your trees are great but then you have a great way with trees in all of your work. :p I think I would have to claim sentimental draw on this one as it is soooo where I grew up.

Cheers, Dianna

Wayne Gaudon
01-25-2005, 12:40 PM
nice .. brooding feeling .. the atmospheric quality makes it easily recognizable as yours.

haaf
01-25-2005, 12:45 PM
Hi Gavin
a landscape is often just a landscape
you've turned it into art and put your own twist on it
beautiful crisp light and fresh looking
Caroline;)

Andrew Rance
01-25-2005, 01:27 PM
Good result for a smallish painting - simple subject, works well.

LisaArt
01-25-2005, 01:59 PM
It is a stunning painting Gavin.
I would hang this in my home. :clap:
Thanks for showing it.

Spyderbabe
01-25-2005, 02:24 PM
Its terrific how everything keeps us directed towards that barn with its great shadows. The foreground bush on the left is light and line keeping us on track and the grasses on the right keep us on the path that leads to the barn that's sheltered by that huge umbrella of a tree. All all the color is so pure.

jerryW
01-25-2005, 02:25 PM
exquisitely ballanced yet vitally dynamic
I am looking forward to woodguy's take on this one.

mattlart
01-25-2005, 10:04 PM
The mood and atmosphere here is palpable. And powerful.

Congratulations;.......a gem. Cheers,-S

Tamana
01-26-2005, 12:00 AM
Wow; the lightplay on those grasses and bushes is awesome. The eye-climb up the tree into that heaven of sky is wonderful. Balance is spot on; it moves like a soft windgust from the viewer's right through the tree to the left.

YLCIA
01-26-2005, 12:10 AM
As Jerry said: exquisite balance. A real gem.:)

Julia

katelynalain
01-26-2005, 12:18 AM
everything is so clear..like a storybook. verrryyyy nice. thanks for posting your work for us to see. love that horizontal cloud in the sky. keeps everything feeling 'level'.. :D

woodguy
01-26-2005, 01:20 AM
exquisitely ballanced yet vitally dynamic
I am looking forward to woodguy's take on this one.

Whoa! Jerry put me on the spot :eek: I have been back to look at this quite a few times, and there is just a little something that is not quite ckicking for me :confused: I think that the red of the barn is overstated..it does not need that emphasis because the compositon of this work takes us there inspite of the color. And the red against the green is a bit stark for me. I also wonder about the light, it seems to be coming from the viewers right, but I am seeing some highlights on the inside of the (corn?) and because the leaves are down from the tree my guess is that the corn should be much yellower and should be casting a shadow onto the road. And since it is fall I don't know that the grass would be as green as it is. Jerry made me do it, I normally don't nit like this. Your trees and their structure, as always are superb. What a perfect canopy and compositional device to pull together what is underneath it. The sky is perfect and shows the trees off quite impressively. Composition is satisfying in spite of the large tree growing up dead center. You knew this and that is why you put the cluster of foilage to the left of center. Good decision..it worked. It is amazing what you were able to do in such a small format :clap: Tell Jerry to never ask for my take again :evil: Jim

Gavinart
01-26-2005, 02:33 PM
I also wonder about the light, it seems to be coming from the viewers right, but I am seeing some highlights on the inside of the (corn?) and because the leaves are down from the tree my guess is that the corn should be much yellower and should be casting a shadow onto the road. And since it is fall I don't know that the grass would be as green as it is. Jerry made me do it, I normally don't nit like this.

It's very early Spring.

Points well taken. Feel it's working well (for a change). The red is a lot more subtle in the original. It's not corn. All your points are sophisticated and well observed - though my awareness of this painting is omnipresent - and so I have to feel humble.

Thank you all for such kind words. I feel I am hitting a stride.