PDA

View Full Version : Commission - sold - $5,000.00 - Turtles

laketrees
01-25-2005, 07:30 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/01-25-2005/54304_turtles_commission.JPG

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Commission - sold - $5,000.00 - Turtles
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Other
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 1.6m x 2.4m
Allow digital alterations?: No, please :)

MY COMMENTS:
This was a commission for a restaurant called TURTLES. The owner was quite specific about the subject and left it up to me to create the work.I designed the frame (tasmanian oak timber) and used stainless steel, pearl interior acrylic paints,sequins,pearls and assorted beads on canvas. The work took three weeks to complete.This was quite a departure for me!

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
At what point does an artwork stop being an artwork and become commercial???

cryla
01-25-2005, 07:56 AM
I'm not sure I'm qualified to answer the question, but well done on selling the painting - and on creating a composition that is very pleasing to the eye, whether it's art or commerce!

dcorc
01-25-2005, 08:04 AM
Seems to me you've achived both here, very successfully - take the money and run, I say :D (but ask them if they want another two or three, first :p )

Dave

Artistanne
01-25-2005, 08:16 AM
Lovely beadwork and very original to combine beads with steel for the frame. And congrats on the sale.

As to your question, I think any commission is by nature commercial. Your client, by virtue of offering money upfront for your services, is engaging you in a commercial transaction. Your "job" is then to create a work that is pleasing to them. While in some instances you may be fortunate enough to have the end result be something they are pleased with and you are happy with from a creative perspective, they still have the right to ask you to revise it based on their input. Now of course, you still have the right to say no--but then they might not pay you (and then I guess your work falls back into the non-commercial category). This is just my humble opinion. :wave:

LisaArt
01-25-2005, 08:21 AM
Seems to me you've achived both here, very successfully - take the money and run, I say :D (but ask them if they want another two or three, first :p )

Dave

Hey Kim, Congratulations. That is so wonderful. :clap:
I agree with Dave about your question.
It is a really beautiful originial piece of work!
Love the colours and beadwork.

Wayne Gaudon
01-25-2005, 08:58 AM

..once you put it up for sale.

I'm envious .. $$$$ .. Good for you. :clap:

Mikey
01-25-2005, 10:01 AM
Congratulatons Kim, and as Dave says.

Mikey

Frida200
01-25-2005, 10:12 AM
..once you put it up for sale.

I'm envious .. $$$$ .. Good for you. :clap:

Yes, but if it is a commissioned painting, it is for sale before the first brushstroke...

Kim, I am very happy for you about the money, good good money. But I understand the feelings, too. I do not know many people who felt good after doing a commissioned painting, not their artistic soul, at least. I never did (to refer to someone very unknown, ha ha ha), and I know that as a more famous example Diego Rivera had his problems with that, too. :D
It is still art, but the restrictions kill the joy and freedom of painting.
But every now and then... it's not bad, ey?
LOL

Claudia

pero lane
01-25-2005, 11:01 AM
Congrats to you!!! Unique and original work! :)

Rieko
01-25-2005, 03:31 PM

Dave

Me too, I agree with Dave. I love his advice. And your work is fantastic! Congratulations!

laketrees
01-25-2005, 06:42 PM
Originally Posted by dcorc
Seems to me you've achived both here, very successfully - take the money and run, I say (but ask them if they want another two or three, first )

Dave

Originally posted by Frida200
Yes, but if it is a commissioned painting, it is for sale before the first brushstroke...
I do not know many people who felt good after doing a commissioned painting, not their artistic soul, at least.

Claudia

What an interesting and astute bunch of people you are here on WC! :clap:
Thankyou for your kind responses and opinions :Cryla, Artistanne, Lisa, Wayne, Mikey, Pero Lane and Reiko.
Dave ROFL.... You're absolutely right and I was commissioned to do another $20000 worth (by the same client)..... and after a couple of weeks of soul-searching I did say no because
Claudia as you pointed out, it is soul-affecting work...and I suppose it helps that I have a teaching job to maintain my creative individuality. Ahhhhh.....but yes it was tempting! :D :p :D

Cheers, Kim (A failed commercial artist - I jus aint no business woman...) :crying:

Frida200
01-25-2005, 07:16 PM
I was commissioned to do another $20000 worth (by the same client)..... and after a couple of weeks of soul-searching I did say no

:eek: :eek: :eek:

*caughing*

Claudia :wink2:

Tamana
01-25-2005, 11:32 PM
Is "caughing" a cross between coughing and laughing?! In the south we spell it "calfing" and it involves lassos and hooves. ;)

Kim this is awesome!! I really like the design and the palette!! Hey it's just money - it'll come around again and you'll be ready this time. As to your question; I think art becomes commercial when you make it for such alone and not of your heart. The fact that you turned a healthy commission down signifies that the money wasn't worth what your heart said at the time being. Now that's an artist for ya. :)

WELL DONE!!! :clap:

laketrees
01-26-2005, 01:24 AM
originally quoted by Claudia...............*caughing*

Splutter. splutter...Claudia and .....as the Scottish would say did na haav eny regrets ....ay!!...probably wouldn't be so brave without the teaching job!

originally quoted by Tamana.....The fact that you turned a healthy commission down signifies that the money wasn't worth what your heart said at the time being. Now that's an artist for ya.
Tamana .....just putting on the trusty old akubra while I tie the cat to the tree :cat: -

Your statement gave me goosebumps...... :D :D

Maybe it's a maternal thing (and I'm definitely not sexist...LOL) but my paintings become my 'other' children and when they go away for comps and things I miss them dearly soooo I'd really rather give them away then sell them. 'Turtles' was like a foster child to me and even though it left me it was never of my making. I don't even like thinking about how I'll be when my two real life breathing children leave me for a life of their own.......ahh ...but maybe I can lock them away ... :evil: LOL ( as someone once said ...'fear attracts fear' ....IMO ....'courage overcomes beauty any day' and as somebody else once if ....'you love them let them go..')
Anyway Tamana... I greatly appreciate your insights and I'll stop my wafflin on ...(takin up too much room an all) :D :D
Cheers Kim

TScottDove
01-26-2005, 05:09 AM
"Artwork" and "commercial" do not have to be mutually exclusive.
But enough about that...

$20,000? Please feel free to pass on my name to your clients. ;)

pero lane
01-26-2005, 12:12 PM
If Scott needs an assistant.... :D

HRobinson
01-26-2005, 01:37 PM
Hopefully, turtles aren't on the menu... :)

If you've added to the aesthetic appeal of the restaurant then you have created two works of art. Is that something you can put a price on? -Harry

Spyderbabe
01-26-2005, 01:39 PM
You say 'commercial' like its a bad thing. It's not. It's good; someone is offering you the coin of the realm in exchange for your work product. It's good. And a good patron is what every artist should have.

you know .......'if you love something let it go' etc... The real meaning of this was brought home to me by my son. After hearing about a painting I sold he said, "Mom, you're creating a real legacy for us. Your work is going all over the world and it and your name will live on."

Be proud Kim!

laketrees
01-27-2005, 06:09 AM
TScottDove ........"Artwork" and "commercial" do not have to be mutually exclusive.
You are right Scott and I know quite a few commercially successful artists who produce great artwork. :clap: :clap: (I just don't think I'll ever be comfortable with commissions)
pero lane ............LOL :D :D
Harry........... there aint no turtles on the menu but the client sure tried to get them :evil: and the painting did add to the aesthetic appeal of the restaurant (based on feedback from patrons) so mmmm point taken :clap: (lost for words)
Kathleen ....... Commercial has many connotations for me - not bad - just not for me! and yes your son's right. :clap: .... eventually it's all in the name whether you give it away or sell it. :D :D
Thankyou all for dropping by...
Cheers Kim :cat:

bbbilly1326
01-27-2005, 08:40 PM
WOW !!

I can't believe that you think because you got money for this, it might not be Art. I've seldom seen anything like this so beautifully and lovingly done.

Have you ever been to Venice, and seen the gorgeous Venetian glass? Those glass artists don't give it away, you know.

Have you seen the Sistine Chapel? Michelangelo didn't do that for a Papal blessing.

Have you seen the East Wing of the National Gallery in Washington, or the Vietnam Veterans Memorial, or the Sydney Opera House? All those artists got a commission.

You deserve every penny of what you were paid for this, my dear, because it's a beautiful thing and unique in all the universe.

Your patrons are very fortunate to have it.

laketrees
01-28-2005, 10:42 AM
....perhaps I should have put this comment in the Debate Thread??

Thank you for your very gracious comments Bill......
I have been to the Tate in London and spent days.weeks, months and years
looking at the Rembrandts........the Louvre in Paris to sit and marvel at the Mona Lisa ........ and these great artists were paid -

I've drawn and painted the Opera House several times.......
Utzon never quite recovered from his architectural project -the Opera House- I believe the stress he suffered over payments and financial hiccups almost destroyed him - they eventually paid someone else to build it.
Van Gogh painted many many masterpieces in his lifetime and sold only one work just before he died....... Which artist's soul would be at peace now????

Cheers Kim