PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Brayer, Jan. 24-31

Diane Cutter
01-24-2005, 04:09 PM
Well, without Andrew around, we (read I) forget that another week has come along.

I've discovered a bonanza... I've been cleaning out my studio. Not only did I find 6 solar plates, but I am also the proud owner of 12 different sizes of resintaglio and one copper plate. I knew I had lots of lino, but who knew what was lurking under all those blotter papers...

I've promised myself I won't buy any more printing materials until these are used up. (That will probably last until tomorrow, notice I said printing materials.)

Diane

StephR
01-25-2005, 09:38 AM
ahem.. hello.. *nervous wave*. I have been hanging about last two weeks in WDE and the daily painting thread. Diane graciously invited me over..so here I am. Not sure I qualify, having done three prints in my entire life.. one... cough... a lot of years ago at primary school and the last two this week.

You'll have realised by now that I am garrulous.. sorry! Diane may regret this.

So anyway.. (for those still awake) I just did my first printing class and I am awestruck.. its alchemy!!!! Am I allowed to say here? my teacher... www.martin-king.com/ such a cool artist and a great teacher.

No idea if this is the place to show and tell so if not please forgive me and I'll learn, guess now I am here I have to show this weeks efforts... 1. hard ground - prepared in studio drawn plein air.. 2. same - with aquatint (and some other stuff I made up) 3. childlike lino...

Most important thing I want to say.. I am here to learn.. don't be kind, I need C&C. thanks for inviting me :) and sorry for being longwinded.

Diane Cutter
01-25-2005, 10:13 AM
Steph... So glad you made it over here. For only having done three prints, you certainly have taken to it like that proverbial 'duck to water'... Lovely work, indeed.

We have a lot of relief printmakers, but also a number who work in etchings. These are wonderful!

Next time you post (which you will, of course), feel free to start a new thread. Our Weekly Brayer is often full of chit-chat among the artists who want to share their lives, and sometimes wonderful work like yours gets lost in the thread....

If these were done last year (2004), feel free to post them in our sticky thread "2004 Wet Canvas Printmaking Exhibition". http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241957 Be sure to add size, paper, method (all those little details that we love to know about the work)...

Again, you are most welcome here. We are probably the smallest forum in Wet Canvas, but certainly the friendliest and most helpful... (in my humble opinion)

Diane

StephR
01-25-2005, 10:36 AM
Puerto Rico.. envy envy! Mind you its 37... abt 98? here today (still is now at 1.30am) so I wouldn't mind being with those folks in cooler climes for a while.

Thanks for putting me straight, I did them this week so they can't go in the 04 thread. never mind.. I'll try to get back when I can. I start back at uni (seriously mature student!!) this month so it will be hard to find time to get here but I surely want to. I'll be lurking and looking even if I have nothing to post! I have so much to learn and from my quick look I can see I'll learn lots here :)

Sunfilly
01-25-2005, 01:18 PM
hey welcom Steph,
Love your prints, can't wait to see more. I noticed your teacher uses spitbite in a lot of her work. When you get to doing that I would be very interested in hearing how it is done. I've been trying to get info on it in books and on the web but can't really find any helpful info. Don't be a stanger here OK. :D

Well I officially became a grandma this morning about three hrs ago. My daughter called me on the phone this morning and I could hear the baby making noise in the background. My daughter did a home birth, and now her and her husband are home in their bed with their new child and they both are in bliss. I wish I was not so far away from her.

Some other good news, I just started doing freelance webdesign for this company and so far they have been keeping me busy (they are a local marketing company and get lots of clients that want websites) and it looks like they may have regular work for me. That means before long I will be able to finally buy a nice press for myself and get all the art supplies I need. It looks like 2005 is going to be a great year for me.

StephR
01-25-2005, 08:23 PM
what lovely news for you Deborah... congrats!!

Spitbite... yes Martin did show us that.. "interesting" process! I have not tried it yet. Lets see if I remember... he had a pot of the acid from the etching bath (I think it was mixed with red ochre so he could see where he was painting it but maybe I made that part up!) and he showed us how when he painted it on the plate (aquatinted) it didn't "stick" so he just did a great big spit into the acid and tadaaa then it stuck! He explained that it enables him to get a watercoloury effect and softer edges but that it is not a technique where you have total control. I read somewhere you can use gum arabic if spit is too repulsive ;)

Bet someone will come along with the correct "recipe" but that's what I recall :) It looked fun.

Hope you see the new babe soon.

Diane Cutter
01-25-2005, 09:00 PM
Congratulations, Deborah... being a grandma is great! I wish my two grand-daughters lived closer. I really enjoyed getting to know them this holiday season. I had already seen the oldest when she was almost one (she's now four), but had never seen the 3 year old. I know that seems very un-grandmotherly, but they live in Australia and me, well, Puerto Rico. However, we do talk on the phone at least once a week. I have a wonderful phone card that only costs 3.5 cents a minute from here to there... Cheaper than calling the nearest town here on the island...

Diane

Printmakerguy
01-25-2005, 09:42 PM
Welcome to the forum, Steph... I am glad that you decided to post!! Very nice prints.

Congrats on the Grandchild, Deborah!

Diane- I LOVE cleaning my place- I find 'presents' all the time!

It has been umm, Fun, out here- Very cold. We were stuck in the ice for 2 days in NOrthern lake Michigan... At least I have my art 'stuff' to work on...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jan-2005/36273-Brr3sm.jpg

I have been keeping busy 'leading' a project, although not in the printmaking area... It is pretty interesting- REVERSPECTIVE (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_details&proj_id=820). Check it out if you get a second....

-Andrew

Printmakerguy
01-25-2005, 09:44 PM
Welcome to the forum, Steph... I am glad that you decided to post!! Very nice prints.

Congrats on the Grandchild, Deborah!

Diane- I LOVE cleaning my place- I find 'presents' all the time!

It has been umm, Fun, out here- Very cold. We were stuck in the ice for 2 days in NOrthern lake Michigan- See the attached pic... At least I have my art 'stuff' to work on...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jan-2005/36273-Brr3sm.jpg

I have been keeping busy 'leading' a project, although not in the printmaking area... It is pretty interesting- REVERSPECTIVE (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_details&proj_id=820). Check it out if you get a second....

-Andrew

Sunfilly
01-25-2005, 10:31 PM
what lovely news for you Deborah... congrats!!

Spitbite... yes Martin did show us that.. "interesting" process! I have not tried it yet. Lets see if I remember... he had a pot of the acid from the etching bath (I think it was mixed with red ochre so he could see where he was painting it but maybe I made that part up!) and he showed us how when he painted it on the plate (aquatinted) it didn't "stick" so he just did a great big spit into the acid and tadaaa then it stuck! He explained that it enables him to get a watercoloury effect and softer edges but that it is not a technique where you have total control. I read somewhere you can use gum arabic if spit is too repulsive ;)

Bet someone will come along with the correct "recipe" but that's what I recall :) It looked fun.

Hope you see the new babe soon.

Oh that sounds cool, I heard the spit was used as a risist, where the spit is the acid will not bite, I see know that is wrong. it seems yu would have to color the acid with something how else can you see it. I don't mind the spit, although I can imagine it may be repulsive if people see you do it. I just have to remember to take out my chewing tobacco, that would be gross. LOL!!! Just kidding.

sassybird
01-26-2005, 12:15 AM
Diane, I am afraid of what I will find when I clean my studio......lol

Steph, as an intaglio artists I really am pleased with your etchings. Welcome aboard:)

Congratulations, Deborah! Isn't being a grandma a fine feeling? I am sure that you will find a way to get to see that baby soon. I held my grandson when he was born and it was such a wonder. Also congratulations on the work:)

Andrew, it is about time that you showed us a picture of the ship:D Sorry you were stuck for a few days in the ice. I'm glad you got out. It would have been horrible to wait until the spring thaw.

I don't have a lot to report. Taking care of Dave and papa keep me busy, and I have had no creative juices flowing for some time now. I can't ever bring myself to clean up my studio. I come in here only to get online.

Sunfilly
01-26-2005, 03:09 AM
Thanks all. I can't wait to see the baby, unfortunately I will not see her until April. My daughter wants me there then. The in-laws live on the east coast and are going there to help them out a bit, they are both retired so can come and go as they please, and her father will visit for a while he lives on the east coast too. My daughter wants me to teach her to sew so thought it best if I come when the baby is a bit older so she can have more one on one time with me. They plan on having more kids so eventfully I will be able to be there for one of thier births. I do want to get back to the east coast some day, but now I'm torn I want to be close to both my girls.

Congratulations, Deborah... being a grandma is great! I wish my two grand-daughters lived closer. I really enjoyed getting to know them this holiday season. I had already seen the oldest when she was almost one (she's now four), but had never seen the 3 year old. I know that seems very un-grandmotherly, but they live in Australia and me, well, Puerto Rico. However, we do talk on the phone at least once a week. I have a wonderful phone card that only costs 3.5 cents a minute from here to there... Cheaper than calling the nearest town here on the island...

Oh boy I feel for you Diane. I have not seen my oldest daughter for four years and I feel so guilty sometimes about that. Hey if you both get some web cams you can see each other and talk to and see the grand kids. I think I'm going to get one for my computer. My youngest has a web cam and she uses it to see and talk to some of her childhood friends in NY. They have a great time with it. They are not that expensive, and it does not cost anything to use it, no phone bill there.

Congratulations, Deborah! Isn't being a grandma a fine feeling? I am sure that you will find a way to get to see that baby soon. I held my grandson when he was born and it was such a wonder. Also congratulations on the work

Thanks Sassy it is a great feeling. I wish I could have been there, but there will be other opportunities, more grandchildren, I just have to figure out how to get all my family on one side of the states so we can all be together more often.

It has been umm, Fun, out here- Very cold. We were stuck in the ice for 2 days in NOrthern lake Michigan... At least I have my art 'stuff' to work on...

That picture is nice Andrew it looks so peaceful, all that white ice as far as the eye can see. The only thing that is missing is a few polar bears on a journey. There are probaly no polar bears in Michigan though. Wouldn't it be funny to look out that window one day and see a snow sled pulled by some husky's. Mush Mush !!!! :D Hey with that window it almost looks like a 3D painting of a different kind.

H2O_Baby
01-28-2005, 09:58 PM
All, hello!

Steph, my hubby is from Melbourne, Aus. We had >30 inches of snow here this week.

Congrats on the grandchild Deborah!

...and congrats on cleaning, Diane. I moved to MA 4 years ago and FINALLy have my print-room in a workable state. I have an inexpensive Dick Blick press. I think I know where everything is but always lose things anyway. I guess I have "sometimers" as opposed to altzheimers.

B