PDA

View Full Version : THE OIL GUSHER, January 24 - 30

Pat Isaac
01-24-2005, 07:14 AM
Welcome to the Oil Gusher! If you've never posted here before, consider this a special invitation to you to stop in and post, we'd really like to get to know you !

It's been fun to share our artwork, and now we have a place to get to know each other a little better, and share all that other interesting stuff that happens in our daily lives.

Tell us about yourself, your family (two or four-legged) and your ups and downs, or your in betweens.

The "Oil Gusher" is not the place to discuss politics, religion or our philosophies about life. WetCanvas provides both public and private chatrooms and a Debate forum for our members for this type of lengthy discussion. We want to make this a place for gentle camaraderie .

Please do join us!
:) :) :)

Pat Isaac
01-24-2005, 01:10 PM
Hi everyone,

Well, our plow finally arrived and I have now shoveled some of the paths, just one more to go. The one to the bird seed.lol I took some pictures of our 30" and 6 foot drifts. Somehow in the pics it doesn't look as deep. At least, it is very light, no water content, not good for snowmen. :(
The Pats won!!

Have a great day.
Pat :wave:

sundiver
01-24-2005, 01:25 PM
I've been out shoveling, too, Pat! :p Same nor'easter you got. It just stopped a couple of hours ago. Windchill is -32. School was cancelled for the third time in a week. I think last year it was only cancelled once all winter.
I'm all moved into my studio, having switched rooms with the computer room, so now I have a room instead of the alley leading to it and the pantry.
Can you tell it was once the kids' playroom? :D
There's my old $10 yardsale drafting table.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jan-2005/6393-studio_table.jpg
and most of these cupboards are for my use now
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jan-2005/6393-studio_back.jpg
It's small, but it's mine! :D

Pat Isaac
01-24-2005, 05:17 PM
Hey, Wendy. The kids playroonm is perfect! lol Look at all those great kid's drawings. The studio is great...all organized and at your fingertips. Isn't it wonderful to have your own space??? :D Lots of snow days here so far. Glad I am retired....1 or 2 days was okay but I really hated having more than that as it cut into the school year and there were enough things that cut into it already. There were 5 days built into the system but if you didn't use them you got out earlier. More snow is expected mid week, but it is supposed to be light. Very cold, but not quite as cold as you. Brrrrrrrr...
What is that on your drawing table?(great table BTW) Looks like flowers.....

Pat

sundiver
01-24-2005, 10:35 PM
What is that on your drawing table?(great table BTW) Looks like flowers.....
Pat

It's the WDE just past. Used iridescents. The little one is from the previous WDE, but I just did it Sunday.

CarlyHardy
01-25-2005, 01:29 AM
Hi all!!
My first oil pastel workshop came and went and I survived!! LOL Actually all went well and I had lots of nice comments :) There were 13 in the group and there was a waiting list, so I'll be doing another in a few weeks. :clap: and I think a few people may take the second one, too!!!

Today, I went to the framer's :( and spent all my newly earned money....lol!! But the show must go on!! This week I'm sorting out paintings for a show in February....most of which will be oil pastels :D

and I'm knitting more scarves. Every time I see new yarn, I want to make another one...lol, but at least I'm selling some of these. And I have to hide them from my daughter because she likes to give them to her friends. I am now everyone's favorite "mom" :D

Pat, That is a lot of snow!! I think you should do a painting of the yellow house with the snow all around....very picturesque!

Wendy, the studio looks so cozy and inviting!! I love the art on the walls - hope you leave it that way!

I'm glad I live in the south!! It's been freezing lately, but I haven't had to shovel snow yet!!
carly

Pat Isaac
01-25-2005, 08:43 AM
That's great news about your OP workshop, Carly. Glad it popular enough to have another one. How many pieces do you need for the show? I'm not inclined to do any snow paintings, at least nothing has spoken to me yet. Not being a landscape person, the yellow house will have to remain a photo. I really don't mind winter all that much as long as it doesn't go on forever. I used to say one month and a big snowstorm and then that would be enough of winter. Hmmmmm...We've had a month of it and a big storm, now it can leave. However, we are supposed to get more tomorrow, about 6 inches. That will seem like a dusting in comparison.
Wendy, did you post the drawing on the WDE? I'll have to look at it. How do you like the irredescents? I have tried them but really didn't like them much.

Off to the studio... :wave: Pat

bnoonan
01-25-2005, 10:31 AM
Love seeing the snow and all that fine work you've done Pat. no shoveling here today - but we will be donning our rain gear. Oh well! the photos are a treat an a reminder of days past.

Wendy - great little studio shot. I love the coziness of it and how you have firmly situated yourself with the kids art as inspiration. It looks like a true bargain on that table as well.

Carly - know what you mean about $ in $ out for investing back in art supplies/frames. It never stops!

Off to figure out how to get into the studio before and after the dentist appt. this morning.

Barb

Pat Isaac
01-25-2005, 04:38 PM
I'd love to be done with shoveling :mad: but more is due tomorrow. :eek:

BTW, Carly I keep meaning to mention your new avatar. Nice picture.

No painting today. Sent out a mailing to all the members of the artists collective where I have my studio(I'm the secretary) and then did a schematic for the show of a friend. I think I need to get off some of these committees that I think won't take up much time but do. :rolleyes: At least it all keeps me busy and out of trouble...hahahahaha...

Tonight I am helping to take in art work for an organiation that I belong to. It is for their annual members show.

sundiver
01-25-2005, 07:13 PM
Wendy, did you post the drawing on the WDE? I'll have to look at it. How do you like the irredescents? I have tried them but really didn't like them much.
: Pat

Yes, it's posted, but probably back to page 2 by now. I wasn't terribly pleased with it. I rarely am with florals; find it hard to loosen up and hate it when the results are "tight".
I like the iridescents ok when it occurs to me to use them. They are not very practical for the most part.
Great about your workshop, Carly! And be sure to take pics ofr us at your show next month.
Oh! I just discovered one of my o.p.s sold in the Tsunami Relief Project :cool: .
Did you make it to the studio, Barb? It would be hard to tear myself away to go to the (shudder) dentist!

Pat Isaac
01-26-2005, 05:15 PM
Wendy, congrats on the sale. :clap: I checked out the floral and I think it is quite nice. Has a very nice glowing quality and I love sunflowers.
It's doing that thing again......."white visitor" all day and still going. My husband said it's only January, maybe we need to think about moving south. Won't happen and that's fine with me, I like New England and so does he. Bad winters make you tend to pause.......

I was supposed to go to my grandaugter's salon today to have my hair cut, but that was cancelled as was a drop off for a juried show n the area. Tomorrow will be fine.

Time to get out the shovel....

sundiver
01-26-2005, 08:41 PM
Time to get out the shovel....

Uh-oh. That often means I have to get out the shovel tomorrow! Depends which way the wind is blowing, I think...
We're battling windchill factors of -35 and whatnot, but it's been sunny here.

Pat Isaac
01-27-2005, 09:29 AM
And the snow goes on and on and on........just started the shoveling and their predicted 8 inches is about 18" :mad: :eek: On a positive note I can see blue sky in the distance, but it is bitter cold. Now a little more to do and I can get the car out of the garage as the plow just came for the second time during this storm.....
I need to deliver work to a juried show and get some groceries in..
This may be heading your way Wendy..

ColorMyWorld
01-29-2005, 12:07 PM
You may remember a few weeks ago I did a portrait of a military dog-handler. He liked it so much that I offered to do the same for the other 5 teams in the unit. The other night I received a request to do my 3rd dog-team portrait. Do I get to call myself the unofficial unit portraitist now that I'm going to be doing at least half the unit! :D
Still waiting for a photo on request #2 but #3 included the photo so I'm about to start on that one.
Couple of challenges to it. The man has darker skin tones than I've painted so I went to the portrait forum and pulled some paintings for reference of artist who's work I admire. And I got a well-lit photo from a friend to practice. So I think I have that challenge covered.
The other challenge is the setting. He made a special trip to have his picture taken at a place where there is gilded furniture and white marble. (I don't want to be any more specific)
Anyway, this painting is for his young daughter and since the location has special meaning for him, I want to do a nice job on it. So any help as to how to do gilding and how to do white marble?

CarlyHardy
01-30-2005, 06:08 PM
Ann,
congratulations! I think you could call yourself the "official portrait artist" for the unit :clap:

For answers to the questions about marble, etc., start a new thread in the Studio so we can see your WIP and more folks will be able to give input on the textures.

Be sure to post your other portraits also....we wanna see!!
carly

Pat Isaac
01-30-2005, 06:49 PM
Yea, Ann. Like Carly says the best way to help is to see the WIPs so we can help with what we see. Wonderful news!!
Pat

sundiver
01-30-2005, 07:49 PM
. The other night I received a request to do my 3rd dog-team portrait.

Awesome! :clap: Keep us up to date with your progress!