PDA

View Full Version : Inks going gray on a zinc plate

linseedy
01-23-2005, 09:11 PM
Hello Everyone,

I'm somewhat new to etching, and have been experimenting with using two (zinc) plates to make a print, plate 1 being a light background color, plate 2 being a line image in dark ink. I'm having trouble with a custom-mixed light ochre on plate 1 getting dirty/gray as I wipe the plate. Is this due to the white in my ink mix, or will this happen with any light color (say, process yellow)? Will going to copper fix the problem? Another other ideas? FYI I've tried viscosity printing and it didn't give me the effect I'm looking for.

Thanks!!

Diane Cutter
01-23-2005, 09:51 PM
Welcome, linseedy... to the Printmaking Forum and to Wet Canvas.

Hmmm... Your question intrigues me. It's been a while since I've worked with a zinc plate, but I did have problems with yellows turning color. It has sometimes become somewhat of a green-black. Have you tried another light color?

We have a number of posters that work with zinc plates. Hopefully one of them will step up to the plate (no pun intended) and help you out here.

Diane

Sunfilly
01-23-2005, 10:50 PM
Hello Everyone,

I'm somewhat new to etching, and have been experimenting with using two (zinc) plates to make a print, plate 1 being a light background color, plate 2 being a line image in dark ink. I'm having trouble with a custom-mixed light ochre on plate 1 getting dirty/gray as I wipe the plate. Is this due to the white in my ink mix, or will this happen with any light color (say, process yellow)? Will going to copper fix the problem? Another other ideas? FYI I've tried viscosity printing and it didn't give me the effect I'm looking for.

Thanks!!
Does it print gray as well or you only see the grey on the plate, I had a similar problem with carbonnel etching inks, I had tried a van dyke brown which is a beautiful mauve type color, when I was wiping the plate it was a dark grey, it freaked me out a bit, but once I wiped the plate clean it printed very well. it just turned gray on the flat surface of the plate, but printed mauve like it was supposed too. At my school we use graphic chemical inks and we have not had any problems with any of the inks, we all use zinc plates.