PDA

View Full Version : Mousehole Harbour

Andrew Rance
01-23-2005, 07:53 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/01-23-2005/27523_mousehole-499.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Mousehole Harbour
Year Created: 2005
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 18 x 24
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Mousehole Harbour in Coirnwall. Photo is a bit yellowy due to being taken in artificial light.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Too complicated a subject for this style of painting (Painting knives)?

jenner567
01-23-2005, 08:12 PM
Good grief, Andrew, I feel so inadequate, and embarrassed even responding to this georgeous painting of yours. You are light-years ahead. Are you a reincarnation of one of the Old Masters?

Anyway, all I can say is this and your other paintings are so simply splendid. I feel awkward, because my uninformed words cannot say well enough what I would like to say about your works, so I'll leave it up to those who are very savvy in the arts.

It's just 'gasping beautiful'. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thank you for posting.

Dhuot
01-23-2005, 08:49 PM
Hi Andrew, first, your avatar pic is definitely not you, That`s what I thought, but I saw your profile picture......LOL. Your almost my age.....
anywayssssss off topic.....so...

Hum !

Okay !.....well,.....the overall light in your painting is georgeous, nicelly rendered, so that`s a plus.
The sky has nice colours, and the knives " strokes " (?) makes the sky look threathning (sp?).
The only ( small ) crit envolves the reddish-brown ,surrounding the boat. What about it...I don`t know...

Nice work

Do you ever paint people ??

Daniel

dornberg
01-23-2005, 11:15 PM
enjoyable theme to follow around

Tamana
01-24-2005, 12:12 AM
Wonderful perspective and the boat is excellently rendered.

Frida200
01-24-2005, 04:20 AM
Andrew, this is so beautiful!
I love the background, that hill and the houses, the light and the style... gorgeous!!!
That's all I looked at when I first saw this, that hill and the houses, beautiful beautiful.
Now I read the comments, and I agree with Daniel, not only about the avatar pic (LOL), but also about the shadow.
What's wrong with it? I spent several minutes thinking about the light source. Looking at the hill and houses, it seems that the light is coming from behind the viewer, a little to the left, but shining right onto those houses. We see hardly any shadows there. There is a strong shadow from that wall, at the right side... is it a shadow?
The shadows in the lower left corner of the painting suggest that there is a hill or mountain behind the viewer, and the sun stands right behind that hill, therefore that shadow.
But the boat... its shadow goes in another direction. It looks like the light source was coming from BEHIND the boat, not from the side, no?

That's how I see it... but, LOL, after all this long explanation, let me tell you again that I did not even notice the boat AND shadow when I looked at your painting, my eyes were so caught by the row of houses, I could not see anything else.

Love your colors there...
Do you ever paint people???

:wave: Claudia

jerryW
01-24-2005, 04:20 AM
bravo
really emerges from the canals nicely

haaf
01-24-2005, 05:40 AM
Ahh I love Cornwall..spend many summers there as a kid.

Looks like a half overcast day, with the sun breaking trough and letting those houses take a nice shower of sunrays for a few seconds.

Easy lead for the eye
good work

Caroline ;)

wishyouwerehere
01-24-2005, 08:56 AM
i think your knife technique suits this subject wonderfully

sue
www.ayoubart.com

Spyderbabe
01-24-2005, 12:17 PM
LOL - you pulled back that hood to reveal you are not Gandalf! This is wonderful - great lines and rhythm.

rfoxden
01-24-2005, 12:28 PM
Having never painted with oils, I can only say that the effect of the palet knife has made a very eye appealing painting. My comment on the shadow that others have talked about is that to me it appears that the sun is coming out from under some dark cloud to the left and ends up casting the shadow the way it does around the boat, yet still highlighting the hillside and houses. Excellent work, Kim

Rieko
01-24-2005, 12:40 PM
It's enjoyable to follow the bank; what a beauty! And the boats! The painting knife sure adds a wonderful atmosphere to this painting. Great work.

katelynalain
01-24-2005, 03:50 PM
beautiful painting. the boat has wonderful detail. for me the strokes in the sky are too repetitive in their boldness, size and shape which makes my eye follow them in a straight horizontal line across the top of the painting. it's only bothersome because it distracts me from the immense beauty of the details in the foreground. the strokes seem more subtle and cohesive in the rest of the painting. now that i'm looking again..the group of houses that recede into the distance (above the boat) seem to need some variance as well. but what do i know! i cant paint like this! very nice work.

Gilberte
01-24-2005, 04:01 PM
Two styles in one painting. I'm always attracted to it ..........

Dana Design
01-24-2005, 09:46 PM
I remember visiting Mousehole many times. One of the most beautiful and authentic villages without the touristy stuff, as I remember. Just gorgeous, with a narrow lane leading into the village.

So good to see this. I've got photos and your painting is beautifully rendered to the truth of Mousehole. However, perhaps a deeper shade that separates the water form the wall might give more definition to the village above.

Love this. Colors are so warm and welcoming.

YLCIA
01-25-2005, 12:11 AM
Very enjoyable, beautiful painting.

Julia

Andrew Rance
01-25-2005, 01:25 PM
Jenner - 'Old Master' - don't you mean just 'Old', perhaps an 'Old Mister'! :)

Daniel/Claudia - Ha! - Thought it was time for the Avatar to go.... I've tried painting people, and its soooo hard. The light sources are all over the place, I know - I took the reference photo on quite a dull day, it wasn't at all sunny.

Dornberg/Tamana - Thank you!

Frida/Jerry - Cheers! Canals - harbours - who knows what next (oceans, perhaps...?)

Caroline - just a little artistic licence - not much sun about....

Sue/Kim - The painting knives are my favoured tools, these days.

Rieko - Thanks - Greetings to Mau!

Katelyn - You have a valid point - the knife strokes are forming something of a pattern - not intentional.

Gilberte - thanks!

All your nice comments are much appreciated, and very encouraging, as I have to say I wasn't really happy with the outcome, initially.