PDA

View Full Version : WIP-Sorry

shirleyq
01-23-2005, 06:15 PM
16x20 oil on canvas

This has more naples yellow in it than the image shows.
Should I add a shadow image of some kind in the upper left corner for balance?
This is not finished.........and I am frustrated at the progress on it. Maybe I should file it in the trash can and begin on something else? :(
Any comments are welcome.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jan-2005/11444-DSCN0098wc.jpg

VanArt
01-23-2005, 08:04 PM
Colors are great. I think it is very well balanced. Don't give up. The effort you have put into it this far, shows! :)

woodguy
01-24-2005, 12:41 AM
Definately keep at this, Shirley! The little girl is developing wonderfully. Mom is in the way though, I think. It would really take alot in the left side to balance this out...so why not just paint the Mom out and let the repentant little girl stand on her own? But I think that she needs "silky jet black" hair :) Jim

jenner567
01-24-2005, 02:17 AM
Hi Shirley,

This is such a dear, sweet, painting. I even like the blue highlights in her hair, it fits in with the coloring you used. I just think it's wonderful as is, wouldn't change a thing.

Viewing your web site, I can see you're quiet an accomplished painter, I'm very much in awe of your talent.

Regards.

LisaArt
01-24-2005, 03:06 AM
Definately keep at this, Shirley! The little girl is developing wonderfully. Mom is in the way though, I think. It would really take alot in the left side to balance this out...so why not just paint the Mom out and let the repentant little girl stand on her own? But I think that she needs "silky jet black" hair :) Jim

Hi Shirley, I echo Jim on this.
Please do continue, and I would take mom out.
The little girl does look like she is sorry and was scolded my mom. Very well captured so far. :)

laketrees
01-24-2005, 03:35 AM
Hi Shirley
Don't throw it in the trash can - It speaks to me clearly of "poignancy". Put it in the garage or under the bed! ( mines 6' tall at the moment!!) IMO I think mum stays ( because I love the foot - reminds me of my own!) however I agree with Jim on the hair :angel:
Cheers Kim

LisaArt
01-24-2005, 04:47 AM
Hi Shirley, I'm back..Kept looking at this and I like it very much.
The more I think, mom should stay...
The composition is more readable like this...You know, she is so sorry, and Mom is standing over...you really get more sense of guilt. I am sure you will find a way for the balance. Shadow in upper left, yes a good idea.

pero lane
01-24-2005, 11:07 AM
Shirley this is just great so far...don't give up!! :) The only thing I noticed is the child seems to be standing on a different level than Mom is...check it out. It may be the "little something" not right....just my humble opinion of course! :D Where do you get your inspiration for these wonderful Native American paintings?

LisaArt
01-24-2005, 11:20 AM
Hi Shirley, I think Pat just nailed it.... :clap:

shirleyq
01-24-2005, 11:03 PM
Vanessa - Thank you! :D

Jim - I have decided to continue with this. It was unfair to everyone that I posted such a poor digital image. The mother's skirt is not as bright and has more purples and the yellows in the background just did not photograph :mad: I didn't realize that there was so much blue in the hair so I will fix that....still debating painting the mom out. Thanks :)

Jenner - Thank you for your comments and thank you for visiting my website! :)

Lisa - I think your final decision was that mom should stay? lol, I will play with it some and let you all know. Haven't we all seen this played out before? :D

Pat - You are right about the mom's position. I will fix that. This came from a photo that I shot..............love my zoom lense! Most of my paintings come from my own reference photos............have a pile left to paint!

I appreciate all of your comments. It will be awhile before I can get back to this since I am flying out in a few days and will be gone for two weeks. I'll try to check back in on all of you when I can. :)