GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Simone Roussel on Beach at Villerville, 1906
Year Created: 2005
Medium: Oil
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 9 x 12
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
From a photograph by Jacques Henri Lartigue.

Just playing at painting faster and looser. I realize the sand should be whiter - I'm stuck in the Midwest where sand is brown. ;)

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Anything.

purplepansey
01-23-2005, 06:20 PM
I love the painting and the color of your sand and the subject as well. Where did you find the photo for this painting?

Dhuot
01-23-2005, 07:32 PM
Laura, no no no LAURA !!! :D

The water is FANTASTIQUE, really. It reminds me of my youth, as I grew up near a lake (waterfront...in the US )
Anywayssssss, the sand colour is great, doesn`t need to be more white, It`s not Cuba ?? So it`s great as is.

The water, the waves, the shadowed legs of the left hand person is good good...
I can hear the waves splashing. Nice memories...thank you very much

Daniel

Wayne Gaudon
01-23-2005, 07:38 PM
water reflects sky .. some of that sky coloring into the foam of breaking waves would help tie it all togeather . it's simple but heartwarming.

Tamana
01-23-2005, 11:46 PM
You EVER say anything to me about paper again.... ;)

Good to see you pushing oiling the old joints. Love the ocean but need some bubbles where it sweeps the beach. I understand what Wayne's saying about water reflecting sky, but I almost HATE to see you touch that ocean; but since this is just an exercise I'd push it and learn as much as I could for the next one. The reflection is wonderful. I can't believe she has her shoes on!! :eek: The sand looks great to me; try swimming in Nicargua where it's soot brown from Volcanic ash. ugh. Is her bonnet that high in the reference photo?

Well done, Laura. Proud of you for finally getting back where YOU BELONG. :p

strychnine
01-24-2005, 12:12 AM
I just wanted to say that you have truly captured the dogness of that dog. :)

Perhaps more whiteness/foam where the water meets the sand?

jerryW
01-24-2005, 04:24 AM
water color is so real
the figures are stiff - less real.
maybe paint them the same way as the water
slowly let them emerge

haaf
01-24-2005, 06:12 AM
The photographs of Henri Lartigue are fascinating.
Maybe for the panting you could have played some more further away from the original source of inspiration.
Maybe bringing the players in a different way together thus creating interesting negative spaces.

Strongs are your limited palette here and rendering of dogshape
Caroline ;)

brushstroked
01-24-2005, 10:39 AM
Wow - thanks everyone, for taking the time to look and comment! This painting materialized out of a scheme to put off working on the big one I started last week. And even though it was play, I HAD to go back after I posted and rework it. So now the sky has skiffs of clouds, the sea on the horizon is darker, the figure on the left has more shadows, the water on shore is glassier, and yes, the sand is whiter. It now looks less like a child's crayola rendering and more like the careless painting of a beginner. (Also, I forgot rule #1 - never post anything from my home computer with its really bad monitor. Rule #2 - stop using that crappy digital camera.)

Purplepansy - thanks for your kind words. The photo came from an out-of-print book called 'The Photographer's Eye' by John Szarkowski. I believe it is a collection of photos from the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

Daniel - merci beau coup! I'm happy it brought back pleasant memories for you. Maybe you can send me some Cuban sand to study! :D

Wayne - but if I start mixing blue with green, I'll get mud! lol Hm. Okay, maybe now that it's dry, I'll do some sky reflection. Thanks for your valuable input!

Tam - Ah, but now that I know I'm supposed to GESSO it first, I'm not at all opposed to paper! And it's much cheaper than canvas. ;) Thanks so much for your support and encouragement.

Is her bonnet that high in the reference photo?

Believe it or not, yes. It's piled high with all this fru-fru lacy stuff. Isn't it hideous??

strychnine - in the photograph, the dog is standing more upright...but somehow I gave him this more playful posture...sort of pre-leap, I think. You're definitely right about the foam. I guess it's been too long since I've been to the beach, and foam doesn't show up well in old black and white photos. :D Thanks for your time and words.

Jerry - you make it sound so EASY. You make it look easy too, by the way. ;) Thanks for that wonderful advice. Letting things slowly emerge is not my forte. LOL

Caroline - what you said about "playing further away from the original source" is exactly what I wish I could do. I seem to be driven toward photo-realism, when I would much rather use my imagination. (I'm painting with the wrong side of my brain.) That's one reason for my switch to paper - more practice. If you could see the painting I did last night of Marilyn Monroe, you'd either be horrified or proud. My son said, "that's really good, mom, but her skin is........blue." ;)

Unfortunately (or fortunately?), I won't be posting anything else until I get a new camera. :rolleyes:

Thanks again, everyone. It's so nice to have the input of people who don't have to live with me! :wink2:

Laura

Dhuot
01-24-2005, 10:58 AM
Tam - Ah, but now that I know I'm supposed to GESSO it first, I'm not at all opposed to paper! And it's much cheaper than canvas.

How `bout cardboard ???

purplepansey
01-24-2005, 02:52 PM
Oh, one other crit. the little man on the right side of picture is too far over-he's walking out of the picture. Move him in closer and have him walking into the picture. Don't change the sand it looks really pretty with the sky and water color.

katelynalain
01-24-2005, 03:24 PM
overall this is a very nice painting. i like the bizarre nature of the costumes for this day and age. seems to go well with the whole approach to the painting. i dont understand the fog where the ocean meets the sand, so i agree that maybe some foam or definition there would help. very nice job on the ocean itself. the face is unclear to me but maybe that's just the digital'ness'. :) nice work.

brushstroked
01-24-2005, 05:50 PM
How `bout cardboard ???

haha - my youngest son gets all the cardboard first. He makes swords and armor from it. :D Maybe someday!

purplepansey: yes, I thought that guy felt too far away, but I never considered having him walk "into" the picture. Nice catch!

katelyn: good news! I can never again blame my bad camera for my bad art, because I bought myself a birthday present today - a new camera (Canon Digital Rebel). Let's hope my photography AND my art improve at the same time. Thanks a lot for your comments!