PDA

View Full Version : Comfirmation

Sandi
11-29-2001, 02:21 AM
I'm already dealing with the problem of the buyer not having a confirmed address with PayPal. Should I accept the check or should I not?
The rule sheet through PayPal strongly recommends not accepting payment.
They also say they don't do confirmed addresses on overseas people...
So, in short, does that mean that if we go through paypal, we can only sell to the US?
What's the sense of them bragging they transfer money into our country's money if they aren't going to let us accept it anyway? Am I lost or what!

I'm including a Poll with this, so to know at a glance for reference, whether or not to accept NON confirmed address checks from buyers through PayPal.

timelady
11-29-2001, 05:21 AM
As someone with an unconfirmed address, I accept any addresses. One thing you can do is check the address given through PayPal with the address they have registered on eBay to see if it matches. All eBay members have address/name/phone registered and you can request to see it for your buyer or seller - they get a notice saying you've done that. Don't think it's a big deal, and if they ask you can always say you were comparing the addresses for their protection. :)

UK eBayers have been asking PayPal to confirm our addresses for a while, it's a big issue for Canadians too. Here's hoping it happens soon!

Tina

leesmith
11-29-2001, 10:55 AM
Hi Sandi,

I just accepted payment from another artist who did not have a confirmed address. I shipped to her. The main thing with the checks thru a payment service, is do NOT ship until the check clears; I'm assuming paypal, like billpoint, notifies you when the check has cleared.

I learned my lesson on e checks and it just took one time!

Lee

Sumafra
11-29-2001, 01:51 PM
I feel a bit stupid here but I've never paid too much attention to this confirmed vs unconfirmed thing. I've never had a problem. I have a buyer right now who is unconfirmed and she paid by credit card. That was Sunday night and I'm just shipping today. I hope that enough time has elapsed that if there should be a problem I would have found out by now. I suppose to be entirely safe you need to deal only with confirmed buyers (or is it verified - my status is International Verified, whatever that means). That all sounds like too much trouble. I'm starting to assess the whole process. By the time I pay listing fees, final value fees and Paypal fees, take the time to list, pack and ship, I'm really not making any money. I'm not sure it's all worth the trouble except that I did move some older pieces that I'm glad to get out of my way, but still, is it worth it?? :confused:

timelady
11-29-2001, 03:18 PM
Hi Sumafra - I'm verified too, it's different. Has to do with registering a valid credit card I believe.

Paypal procedures for confirming an address:
US Address - can be confirmed
Any other place in the whole wide world - cannot be confirmed

You see the problem. :)
Tina.

Sandi
11-30-2001, 01:02 AM
Thanks everyone! I feel relaxed within my panic now. :) I've even clicked 'accept' and am now hoping for the best. :)

Sumafru, I hope you hang in there... I understand that in time it gets better price wise in between the slow times.

CarlyHardy
12-01-2001, 12:16 AM
I ship to confirmed and unconfirmed addresses. For one reason, when a buyer pays with PayPal...they have no charge back recourse. They will have to get me to give the money back...not PayPal.

With Billpoint, if you ship and its not to an accurate address, then the buyer can do a chargeback and you lose your money and possibly the painting also.

Another protection I use is the "delivery confirmation" with Priority shipping. This way I know when and where the package was delivered. It costs .40 to add this on...and its well worth it.

I had an unconfirmed address for a long time with PayPal because I did not use a credit card with them...but after several payments thru my account...my address is now confirmed.
carly

Sumafra
12-01-2001, 02:04 AM
Carly, I'm glad to hear you say that you cannot have a chargeback with Paypal. That makes me feel a little safer. The way I see it, if they have paid me and I ship to the address they give me, how can it be my fault if they don't get it somehow, as long as I have held up my end of the deal by shipping where they told me to? Seems to me that the unconfirmed address thing is not really a problem.

timelady
12-01-2001, 05:53 AM
Er, sorry all but that's incorrect information. You are not protected against chargebacks with Paypal, even though they say you are. Reading the forums at eBay will show that it happens occassionally. (I also answered this in the other Paypal thread too)

You are NOT protected at ALL if you accept payment from an unconfirmed address (ie. international). It sucks, but is in the fine print.

I still think it's better than Billpoint though, from what I've read over at eBay. And I don't think we should panic. :)

Tina.